Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 10, 2013

Sequel to 2010's Amnesia: The Dark Descent, this time developed by thechineseroom, with Frictional Games producing and publishing.

No Machines for Pigs Until 2013

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

I’m unsure if this is good news or bad news, but Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has been delayed into early 2013. Creative director Dan Pinchbeck of thechineseroom broke the news in an interview with GameZone.

“The quality of the game is the absolute first, last, and always with this development, and we felt it could do with a few more months' work to make sure that's really going to happen,” he said.

thechineseroom was also responsible for the spooky, beautiful Dear Esther from earlier this year.

Pinchbeck confirmed the delay to me in an email this morning, and teased the next couple of months.

“The fat just ain't dripping off the bones yet,” he told me. “But we'll definitely have more to show in the not too distant future.”

Clearly, Pinchbeck pushed back A Machine for Pigs because I haven’t written about Amnesia yet. (Soon.)

It’s part of my job to know about games, even when I’d like to join the chorus of people in a media blackout. A Machine For Pigs is a game that falls into that camp for me, and while I’m not actively avoiding it, I’m also not interested in knowing every detail prior to its release. It’s why the reason A Machine For Pigs exists surprised me.

Frictional are working on a new game but wanted to get another Amnesia out and didn't have time to do it, so they were looking for a studio to take it on,” said Pinchbeck. “We know each other anyway, mutual fans, and we just got talking. It cemented over a few beers at GDCE last year, and we got cracking. Frictional are executive producers for the project, and we're making the game. It's a lot of fun.”

Yes, fun. That describes Amnesia. Fun.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

I’m unsure if this is good news or bad news, but Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has been delayed into early 2013. Creative director Dan Pinchbeck of thechineseroom broke the news in an interview with GameZone.

“The quality of the game is the absolute first, last, and always with this development, and we felt it could do with a few more months' work to make sure that's really going to happen,” he said.

thechineseroom was also responsible for the spooky, beautiful Dear Esther from earlier this year.

Pinchbeck confirmed the delay to me in an email this morning, and teased the next couple of months.

“The fat just ain't dripping off the bones yet,” he told me. “But we'll definitely have more to show in the not too distant future.”

Clearly, Pinchbeck pushed back A Machine for Pigs because I haven’t written about Amnesia yet. (Soon.)

It’s part of my job to know about games, even when I’d like to join the chorus of people in a media blackout. A Machine For Pigs is a game that falls into that camp for me, and while I’m not actively avoiding it, I’m also not interested in knowing every detail prior to its release. It’s why the reason A Machine For Pigs exists surprised me.

Frictional are working on a new game but wanted to get another Amnesia out and didn't have time to do it, so they were looking for a studio to take it on,” said Pinchbeck. “We know each other anyway, mutual fans, and we just got talking. It cemented over a few beers at GDCE last year, and we got cracking. Frictional are executive producers for the project, and we're making the game. It's a lot of fun.”

Yes, fun. That describes Amnesia. Fun.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vonFlampanker

Good, will never finish the first at this rate.

evan_buchholz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By evan_buchholz

Dammit I was really hoping for this to be out this year. But at least they're spending their time on it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nightriff

Is the first one worth playing? Is it that good or you have to be a super fan of the horror genre to enjoy it?

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BigSteve1983

I didn't even know they was doing a follow up to Amnesia. However I guess if they are delaying it then it will end up being a thrill trip. Which reminds me I need to get back and play the first one.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vonFlampanker

@Nightriff: I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word ... it is a hell of an experience for sure.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By megalowho

but I want to put the pig in the machine naoooowww

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Patrick's going to sabotage this game from the inside so that he can't make himself play it, isn't he?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaggE

On one hand: Fuck. I'm desperate to recapture the feeling of discovering the first game. On the other: I haven't even touched the custom content for the first. I'm sure there's a few that come close to matching the main game, right?

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JunkHype

Sweet, I still need to get around to finishing the first.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

I think this game might have the best video game name ever.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

Honestly, kind of sad about this. I really need some games other than Borderlands and Assassin's Creed to be excited for at the end of this year.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By me3639

Damn Potatoes!

Blister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blister

I wonder how they'll handle monster AI, It's hard to replay Amnesia and Penumbra knowing that if you don't look at an enemy it can't see you.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solh0und

2013: The year where every other damn game is released until new consoles rear their heads.

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sporkbane

I can't even play the first without shitting myself. I'll still watch day9 play it though!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Humanity

Amnesia is not THAT scary we need to just move on already. Thief Deadly Shadows, now THAT game had some scary levels.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@me3639 said:

Damn Potatoes!

That's the real reason it was delayed. The metagame for the current Steam Sale has already been cemented.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Aw man, what a bummer :(

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By MarkWahlberg

oink

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

;_; another game I'm interested delayed until 2013...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

Can't read the title of this game without hearing this in my head.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By mbr2

Hamnesia. That is all.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By confusedowl

Well this will give me some time to finally play the first one. I've never been a huge fan of horror games but Amnesia has always intrigued me. So I'll be sure to pick it up and play it before the new one is released.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ghost_cat

Hey, as long as they deliver the spooks, I can wait.

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By enemymouse

Based on the headline, I was expecting this to be a parody trailer revealing a funny little piggy adventure.

Now I will be having nightmares involving Bricktop and Hannibal Lector.

thebigJ_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thebigJ_A

nooo!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By MeatSim

The pigs really need that machine though.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By captain_max707

Old news, I'm afraid. 

householddutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By householddutch

I read this and was all "Hmm, I really should pour a few drinks and play the first one over the weekend". Then I watched the trailer and was all "Fuuuck no".

I would love to see the staff play through the first game during a kind of happy hour sort of thing.

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mathey

"The fat just ain't dripping off the bones yet"

*shudder*

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RobertOrri

Why is there a machine for pigs? Is it only for them? Is it good or bad? Does it turn you into a pig?

So many questions...

Zamir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zamir
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ripelivejam

CHIIIIIVEEEESSSSSSS

Brad3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brad3000

I have tried to play Amnesia three different times and found it dreadfully boring. I love horror games and since it's release I have heard over and over how terrifying it is, but I just could not find anything about it even a little bit engaging. It was mostly just tedious and the graphics are poor at best. I am left to wonder; when does it get scary? I played it for about two hours the last time I tried it. Have I not gotten far enough in? Does the story become involving? I really don't give a shit about my protagonist at this point and the audio logs aren't grabbing me at all. I do not want to hate this game. I want it to be good. If someone says I should keep going, I'll keep going. I'm just not getting what is supposed to be good about it so far. And if I haven't liked anything about a game after two hours I start to wonder if I ever will.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bunny_Fire

i really hope this will be based in the bay of pigs

Avatar image for the_great_skenardo
    the_great_skenardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well goddamn it, what am I supposed to do with all these pigs in the meantime?!

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By mrbubbles

i can't wait i played a bunch of the first and loved it i just never finished it because i got distracted by other games and forgot about it :/.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kre8havoc

@Nightriff: I looooooooooooooooved it. It's so different from every other game I have played.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

I'm still, patiently, waiting for anything either of these two puts out. Both have really great ideas and I will probably always be interested in what they do. 

It's also really great Frictional is in a position, now, where they can have a second development team work on this while they work on something else. I don't know if that's better then where they were at when Amnesia first came out, but it sure does sound like it. I know Amnesia did well, but this sounds like it did them great.  

I am continuing to be so glad for them. =)

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By krabboss

@Brad3000 said:

I have tried to play Amnesia three different times and found it dreadfully boring. I love horror games and since it's release I have heard over and over how terrifying it is, but I just could not find anything about it even a little bit engaging. It was mostly just tedious and the graphics are poor at best. I am left to wonder; when does it get scary? I played it for about two hours the last time I tried it. Have I not gotten far enough in? Does the story become involving? I really don't give a shit about my protagonist at this point and the audio logs aren't grabbing me at all. I do not want to hate this game. I want it to be good. If someone says I should keep going, I'll keep going. I'm just not getting what is supposed to be good about it so far. And if I haven't liked anything about a game after two hours I start to wonder if I ever will.

You're not the first person I've met who feels this way about the game. I've never played it and I don't care to, but yeah.

Owlright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Owlright

I didn't find Amnesia to be that scary honestly, mostly I just thought the constant balance of hiding in the darkness versus losing your sanity to be well implemented.

But jesus the subtitle of this game unsettles the hell out of me

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Owlright:

I don't find it that scary anymore, especially since I know how the game mechanics work inside and out, but when I first played it, it scared the ever loving crap out of me. The only problem now is that custom map makers aren't doing anything new, so a lot of the scares in custom maps are recycled from the campaign. There are only 2 custom maps from the top of my head that I can recommend that at least got me a little frightened, but nothing more really.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By geirr

@Brad3000 said:

If you haven't gotten it yet, then you likely won't. I met the game with some fascination when it was released but was a tad bored until a certain water sequence. From there on I felt refreshed and had a fine experience.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ptys

Patrick's obsession with this game is entertainment enough.

SolidStateUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SolidStateUK

I really hope that they dont go too far on this one and make sure it feels just like a more refined version of the original. I hate it when i see bigger companies destroy a game by trying to make it something its not. The atmospheric quality of the original is what made it great and I hope that they dont throw that away for constantly seeing your enemies, rather than being scared because you dont know whats there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.