Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

A few questions to vetern Amnesia players.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Spiritgod

First things first, I love this game. I love the feeling of being unsettled. The only other game to really give me the feeling that I've always wanted was Fatal Frame 2, but this easily has become my favorite horror game. I did have a question for those that have played this far more than I. I know I can't look directly at enemies or my sanity goes to red quickly, but is it just directly looking or is it seeing the entities at all that causes my sanity meter to rise? I love looking into the unknown, which would be a real bummer for me if I weren't allowed to see these enemies. And is there a way to remove this penalty? I'm not asking to make the game easier, even though that would be the outcome, I just really like watching these ghostly figures.

And one more question. Are there any other modern games like this that are even scarier? I've checked out the Penumbra games already, but am hoping there might be a few games out there that give the same experience like Amnesia.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Wemibelle

I think at all does make it go up but it only goes up rapidly if you look directly at them. It isn't made perfectly clear but that's what I remember. There is probably a way to become "invincible" in sanity with hacks but that would make the game stupid easy. Usually, it's dark enough that you can't really make out the enemies' features anyway, even if you wanted to.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spiritgod

@wemibelec90: I just got through looking directly at a ghostly figure where you could see a fully black entity. It might have been because it was standing in the light, or I just got incredible lucky, maybe both, but I want to see more of that. And, I don't really want to be invincible, just remove one aspect of the game, or at the very least make the sanity rise slightly instead of feeling like it immediately hits red with a second or two of direct viewing. I really don't want the game easier, I just want to be able to look, maybe not directly, at the enemies that come into view.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

Is it even possible to die from sanity?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

@Spiritgod: Don't think you can do anything about it then. I can't remember if the game has difficulty options but, if it does, knocking it down to Easy might help.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

@EVO said:

You move VERY slowly and can fall over when your sanity is extremely low. When you fall over, your health drops as well so you can actually die from low sanity. It can take awhile but it eventually happens if you don't get it back up.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spiritgod

@wemibelec90: No thanks then, I'll just live with it. A a small price to pay for a truly chilling experience.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO

@wemibelec90 said:

@EVO said:

You move VERY slowly and can fall over when your sanity is extremely low. When you fall over, your health drops as well so you can actually die from low sanity. It can take awhile but it eventually happens if you don't get it back up.

Huh, I never experienced that. The only deaths I had were by the hands of the monsters.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spiritgod

@EVO: I've experienced falling over, but not dying from it so I don't know. I think I read somewhere that when you fall over you become a better target for enemies nearby, something about they now search you out. The only time I fell over, I got back up with my sanity almost back to normal, but I didn't check my health.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

I freaked the fuck out at the early water part, managed to get through that at least. But when I saw two huge areas to explore after that my heart gave out and I quit.

That game is fucking amazing. I'm not usually scared by movies or games, but Amnesia is goddamn stressful.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By StarFoxA

I literally just finished playing Amnesia. The final parts of the game are pretty terrifying, there is some seriously unsettling stuff that you can uncover if you really get into the game. As for other freaky games, I found this list (and another one, with more detail) a while back of horror games that seem worth checking out, there's a variety of obscure to mainstream stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.