Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

Amnesia demo out now, also 20% off on Steam.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

I just started playing the demo for Amnesia: The Dark Descent and so far it seems great (I haven't played through the whole demo yet), I think I'll just wait until it's released to play further. Anyway, I'm loving the atmosphere so far; it looks like they've really improved on the engine since Penumbra. I like how the main character expresses his fear when he's scared; so, for example, after hearing a strange noise, he starts cowering in the corner and breathing heavily. I'm not sure that I like the save system though - you can't actually save manually, instead, it just automatically saves when you quit the game.

You can pre-purchase the game now for 20% off on Steam. I'm not sure if they set the price to 20% off by mistake or not though, since everywhere else is only 10% off =/  

Anyway, video of demo gameplay:

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ToxicFruit

Game is looking great . Guys really steps it up 

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By borodin

Looks cool, I'm going to give the demo a go, thanks for the tip!

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dingofighter

The fact that you can't save manually means that you can't just save around every corner and therefore remove a lot of the fear and vulnerability of the player that the game is pretty much all about, so I think it is an okay solution by the developers.
    The thing that I really liked about the demo was that I actually felt vulnerable, like anything could kill me at any time, and the fact that you can't just sneak around in complete darkness all the time because of the ''Sanity meter'' made it even more scary. I don't really know yet if I'm going to buy it or not, but the demo really conveys what the game is about, and I totally freaked out when I fell in the water and couldn't find a box and then hearing the monster coming at me. All in all it seems like a really atmospheric game which does horror well without relying on jump-scares.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

Really liked the demo. One major problem for me was turning the gate crank/winch. You're meant to click on it and move your mouse in a circular motion, right? I was lucky that after fucking up and dying a couple of times, the water monsters left that area the next time I spawned, so I didn't have to open it under pressure - because it took me a damn long time to raise it high enough to crouch under. When I tried moving my mouse a little differently it would just stop moving or start going the other way entirely. For a game that I imagine will heavily rely on mouse movements such as these for all the cranks, levers and doors, this could be a real game breaker. 

Other than that, I really like the atmosphere and the sanity mechanic. I love games that try and be different, and even more so when they try to immerse you in their world, so I'll probably buy this despite the above complaint.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder
    @MaFoLu: Yeah, I can see why they did it and it's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess it does add to the immersion. But in the previous games there was a little object that you could look into in order to save the game, and it even added to the story a bit. I suppose I'm just weird about saving =/

Also, I still haven't managed to finish off Dead Space because of the jump scares, every room in that game I know somethings going to jump out at me and it's actually more frustrating than scary.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#7  Edited By Jazz
    @BeachThunder:
    Dude, I totally owe you one for this. I'd only vaguely heard of Penumbra and not at all about Amnesia. After reading this and playing the demo, I was interested..so I went back to play the Penumbra demo. I loved every second of it, so i went to see how much it was for the whole collection...expecting £19 or something.  
    £4.99 for the whole thing? Bought it right there and then and damn am I looking forward to playing it...hopefully I'll finish it in time for me to have some money for Amnesia. 

As for Dead Space. The main game isn't that great, but if you have a Wii, Extraction is a fantastic game. Didn't really like the main game, loved the lightgun prequel. 
    *shrug*
    djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By djaoni

I hope the guys do a quick look of this game just so more people get to know about it even if the atmosphere doesn't translate well with someone talking while playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
    deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djaoni said:
    "I hope the guys do a quick look of this game just so more people get to know about it even if the atmosphere doesn't translate well with someone talking while playing. "

I second this. The atmosphere in this game is second to none. The only game that really got me to jump before I played this was the first   F.E.A.R.  and that was a while ago.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By tmthomsen

I really liked the Penumbra games, so I'll probably pre-order this one.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlasherMan

This game is not getting the attention it deserves on GiantBomb.
    I don't think they even posted the trailer on the site, when it's been posted practically everywhere.

I definitely second the QL thing, even though the heavy atmosphere of the game will probably be lost with people talking. Unless they just make one of the guys QL it on his own... with the lights turned off... no one around... yeah... It'd be amusing to see their genuine reactions while playing. :)
    Regardless, it would be a shame for horror fans to miss out on this game just because it doesn't have a massive ad campaign and isn't hyped to death.

It's an indie game with a team of five very talented people (which you'll realize how damn impressive that is if you try the game), but it'll probably best any big-budget horror game you've played, or at least end up way up there. RPS described it as "Thief III’s Cradle as a full game ", and I definitely do not disagree with that assessment.

@Jazz said:

" @BeachThunder: Dude, I totally owe you one for this. I'd only vaguely heard of Penumbra and not at all about Amnesia. After reading this and playing the demo, I was interested..so I went back to play the Penumbra demo. I loved every second of it, so i went to see how much it was for the whole collection...expecting £19 or something.  £4.99 for the whole thing? Bought it right there and then and damn am I looking forward to playing it...hopefully I'll finish it in time for me to have some money for Amnesia.  As for Dead Space. The main game isn't that great, but if you have a Wii, Extraction is a fantastic game. Didn't really like the main game, loved the lightgun prequel. *shrug* "

I wasn't a big fan of Overture, didn't really do it for me, but Black Plague is indeed excellent. It has one of the most amusing villains in a game, too!

ovevass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ovevass

VINNY AND RYAN FOR QUICKLOOK :D

I'm still waiting for Steam to unlock it damn wait!

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Looks good. I haven't played Penumbra but I did admire it from a distance.
    May need to pick those up as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.