Amnesia or Penumbra?

#1 Posted by StillVictor (150 posts) -

Hi there. I saw that both Amnesia and Penumbra are on sale on Steam right now. Is there anyone who has played both that could tell me which one should I buy?

I don't usually play games on my computer, but since they launched the Steam client for mac that's slowly starting to change.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I have yet to play amnesia, but i plan on it considering how much i love the penumbra games. They are soooooooooooooo goood!

#3 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

At this point penumbra may not have the same effect on you as it would have a few years ago, due to the limitations of the engine.  Amnesia takes everything that was amazing about penumbra and moves it onwards. 

In my opinion you should play Amnesia, see if you like the style and if so go back to play the penumbra series.

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

If I were you, I'd start with Penumbra.

That way you can move on to Amnesia later on.

#5 Edited by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

You can get Penumbra: Overture for how much you want here along with 4 other games.  Not sure if they're MAC compatible but you can redeem a code to download them on Steam. 

Edit:  Nevermind, sorry, that deal is now over.

#6 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@StillVictor: Both, if you can! "Penumbra: Black Plague" is awesome, but "Amnesia" is even better.
Now, if you can only buy one, this might help you decide: The Penumbra trilogy has more puzzles, Amnesia is more frightening. Either way, they're worth their money and more :)
#7 Posted by BeachThunder (12450 posts) -

Penumbra. Amnesia is the better/scarier of the two, so I think it's best working your way up, otherwise Penumbra just won't seem nearly as good. However, I think Penumbra's story was better. Anyway, if you had to pick just one - Amnesia.

#8 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

After playing a little of both, I would say Amnesia but get penumbra later If you can.

#9 Posted by StillVictor (150 posts) -

Thanks guys. I will definitely get Amnesia, but I may have to get Penumbra too.

#10 Posted by BBAlpert (1584 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

If I were you, I'd start with Penumbra. That way you can move on to Amnesia later on.

This is how I'd do it. Penumbra is great, but if memory serves, it's got some pretty rough edges with the gameplay. Also, if you do play Penumbra, play that and then Black Plague. There's a third game that does a little bit more with the story, but not nearly enough to make it worth the gameplay changes. The first 2 are all about the atmosphere and tension, the third is mostly first person platforming and rudimentary physics puzzles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.