Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -

I recently became a big fan of Frictional Games when I played through the Penumbra series, so I have been highly anticipating Amnesia.  It just released, so I started playing yesterday and I'm already deep into it.  The story grips you almost instantly, with a very similar Lovecraftian feel.  The game controls are fairly similar to those in Penumbra, although the graphics and ambiance are obviously much improved.  So far I'm loving it, but we'll see how the story develops.

#1 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -

I recently became a big fan of Frictional Games when I played through the Penumbra series, so I have been highly anticipating Amnesia.  It just released, so I started playing yesterday and I'm already deep into it.  The story grips you almost instantly, with a very similar Lovecraftian feel.  The game controls are fairly similar to those in Penumbra, although the graphics and ambiance are obviously much improved.  So far I'm loving it, but we'll see how the story develops.

#2 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Yeah, I myself am I big fan of the Penumbra series, especially "Black Plague". I purchased "Amnesia" the day it was released, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to play it... I'm still playing 2009 games, haha. I'm always one year behind stuff... I wish days were longer ;)

But it's good to know that it apparently won't disappoint me!

#3 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -
@KillyDarko:  Amnesia's definitely worth playing, especially if you liked the second Penumbra game (once they got rid of the combat).  Not sure how I feel about the ending (just beat it today), but all in all well worth the money I spent.
#4 Posted by devosion (112 posts) -

I only played the Penumbra demo and was interested in the original game, but never got around to playing it. Once I get through Amnesia I think i'll buy the triple-pack and get into Penumbra as well. I'd hate to see such a great indie developer go under just because of a lack of exposure.

#5 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -
@devosion:   You really should give that one a shot.  The story is great (perhaps a bit better than Amnesia, although I'd probably have to think on it).  I think the story in the first Penumbra game is a bit better than in the second part, but the gameplay is sufficiently improved in the second one that I think it makes up for this (it gets rid of the pretty awful combat from the first one).  The third one in the series is basically a series of puzzles without an overarching story, but it does provide snippets of additional background information as you move along.  Definitely want to see what these guys come up with next.
#6 Posted by switters (56 posts) -

I have a question, hope you can help.  Can you play Amnesia offline?  I'm going overseas soon and there will be a lack of internet service.  I"m guessing you don't need to be online but I thought I would check before buying the game.

#7 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -
@switters: Being online is not required.  I am currently overseas and don't need to be connected to play.
#8 Posted by switters (56 posts) -
@mzuckerm: Thanks,you helped make buying the game a MUST.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.