Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

#1 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one hell of a game. This is the only game that has actually scared me and forces me to quit after awhile unless I want to die of fright. I love how much of the game is very Lovecraft like. The fountain in the back hall with the centipede looking body and the baby face on it  is absolutely terrifying. 

For discussion value: What games have scared the Giantbomb community?

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -

If you want to know the answer, click here.

#3 Posted by AjayRaz (12440 posts) -
Condemned: Criminal Origins is the only game to actually scare me. it was to the point where i was so afraid, i quit the game.  

man, i must have quit like 5 times on the level where you're in the house. 
#4 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -
@BeachThunder: Nice.
#5 Edited by CornBREDX (5607 posts) -

Ya, I love this game too. I like all the games Frictional has developed though. They are good at what they do. 
It's a shame they have to struggle to get each game out. With this one looking like its doing substantially better for them, I hope to see them grow even more with each outing. 
So far, they have not disappointed me.

To get on topic; it's kinda funny. Movies don't ever scare me these days, but a good horror game can make me quit out and not continue on for the rest of the night. Some of my favorites:
Undying
  - A Clive Barker "based" game. It scared the crap out of me when I first played it. Can't beat that god damn opening when you get to the mansion. Holy Hell! I want to mention, though, this did the two handed (magic one hand, gun in other) way before Bioshock 2 did it.
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - Not scary on its own, but it has some really good moments.
F.E.A.R - I know people will disagree with me, but I found this game to be scary the first time I played it. It's not of Amnesia caliber by any means, but it was scary for what it was at the time.
Condemned: Criminal Origins - Surprisingly scary. I actually didn't realize it would be when I bought it years ago.
The Penumbra Series - Frictional's first outing. Fantastic game.
Aliens versus Predator 2 - Good game, in my opinion.  You can't beat the alien storyline here. I haven't played the new one, but due to the blase nature of critiques on it, I'll stick with this one.
Ghosthunter - An underrated PS2 classic. Sadly, I think the developers crumbled after this game came out. It's a shame as this game has a good mixture of horror and comedy (similar to the ghostbusters) that works really well. I really really wish this game hadn't gone so unnoticed as there could've been a sequel or more - or (dare I say) a re-release in HD. Sadly this game is disappearing but I will continue to bring it up in threads like this in hopes people never forget.

There's others, but I thought I'd mention those. I made a list like this if you guys care to know what I think. Although, most of what I have said here I already mentioned in my list.

#6 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -
@fullmetal5550 said:
" Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one hell of a game. This is the only game that has actually scared me and forces me to quit after awhile unless I want to die of fright. I love how much of the game is very Lovecraft like. The fountain in the back hall with the centipede looking body and the baby face on it  is absolutely terrifying.   For discussion value: What games have scared the Giantbomb community? "
Man, this game has me so creeped out; I haven't gone back to play it in over a couple of months...

Last time I played it, having one of those creepy monster things creep past me as I hid like a girly-man behind some boxes really freaked me out xD.

Some day I'll get back into it.
#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" If you want to know the answer, click here. "
Ah! 

I wish my computer could handle Amnesia, because I'd totally play it. Can't think of any games that have scared me. I guess I don't play many scary games. More reason to play Amnesia!
#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
Ah!  I wish my computer could handle Amnesia, because I'd totally play it. Can't think of any games that have scared me. I guess I don't play many scary games. More reason to play Amnesia! "
Bet your computer can play it! Its system requirements are quite low.

What are your computer's specs?
#9 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -
@CornBREDX: I have been wanting to get into the Penumbra series. How much of it is like Amnesia?
#10 Posted by CornBREDX (5607 posts) -
@fullmetal5550: Amnesia built on Frictional's concepts from the Penumbra series and made them better. The first penumbra they actually attempted (slightly) combat which is pretty bad and I don't suggest fighting in it (there's only like one or two things you have to fight, and its really not that bad). Luckily by the second in the series they did away with it, and focused more on the chase and the story telling. 
The story is superb and I recommend if only for the story. The gameplay mechanics are basically the same (minus the insanity meter).
#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
Ah!  I wish my computer could handle Amnesia, because I'd totally play it. Can't think of any games that have scared me. I guess I don't play many scary games. More reason to play Amnesia! "
Bet your computer can play it! Its system requirements are quite low.  What are your computer's specs? "
Let's just say I have to turn down my settings and resolution in Left 4 Dead.
#12 Posted by CornBREDX (5607 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: I have a computer I bought when I got back from afghanistan in 2002. It works on this computer. Granted, it was high end at the time, but Frictional is pretty good at making their games highly accessible; you sure it wont run on your computer?
#13 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
Bet your computer can play it! Its system requirements are quite low.  What are your computer's specs? "
Let's just say I have to turn down my settings and resolution in Left 4 Dead. "
Well, the minimum system requirements are lower than Left4Dead's minimum requirements...

BTW. Have a look here (no Inception this time, I promise D:)
#14 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@CornBREDX said:

" @JJWeatherman: I have a computer I bought when I got back from afghanistan in 2002. It works on this computer. Granted, it was high end at the time, but Frictional is pretty good at making their games highly accessible; you sure it wont run on your computer? "

I'm not completely sure, but it looked like some heavy lighting and textures were happening when I watched the QL. (And of course messing with that stuff could significantly alter the game's "mood")

Ah ha, I didn't know there was a demo. Downloading it on Steam now. We'll see how that goes.
#15 Edited by CornBREDX (5607 posts) -
@BeachThunder:  Just as a quick reference, I haven't used it in a while but system requirements lab is not 100% accurate but can give you a good idea if your computer will run a game or not. Last I checked it thinks my computer can't run games like the original Assassin's Creed or Bioshock yet I can run those games fine (i just checked it, it still thinks so haha)... so... grain of salt, but it is good for determining where your at at least.

@JJWeatherman:  Good Idea =)
#16 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
Let's just say I have to turn down my settings and resolution in Left 4 Dead. "
Well, the minimum system requirements are lower than Left4Dead's minimum requirements...

BTW. Have a look here (no Inception this time, I promise D:) "
According to that, my computer can easily run it. This is exciting. But as cornBREDX mentioned, I've heard the site isn't always accurate. Demo almost done downloading though so I'll know soon enough.
#17 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
This game.  I still wake up screaming...desperately trying to forget.
#18 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I haven't played Amnesia but any game that can help someone produce a video like this one is fucking awesome in my books: 

OH SHIT! I have a bag of milky ways!                    AAAGHHHHHHHHHHGGHHHHHHHHHHGGHGHG
#19 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -
@CornBREDX: Thank You for the info. From  what you have told me I am pretty sure I am going to buy the Penumbra series now. I noticed that the Penumbra series is $10.00 dollars on Amazon.
#20 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Holy craaaap. Just finished the Amnesia demo. That water monster is scary shit. My heart was racing. I died twice.  :( 

I can run it, but it was dropping down to like 14 FPS in those water sections. I'd have to lower settings even further to play it for any extended period of time. It's exhilarating though. 

(btw I had headphones on and I'm in a dark room too. Yeah, it's creppy as hell.)

#21 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Holy craaaap. Just finished the Amnesia demo. That water monster is scary shit. My heart was racing. I died twice.  :(  I can run it, but it was dropping down to like 14 FPS in those water sections. I'd have to lower settings even further to play it for any extended period of time. It's exhilarating though.  (btw I had headphones on and I'm in a dark room too. Yeah, it's creppy as hell.) "
Hell yeah, JJ.

That water monster creeped me the hell out haha...

If that one scares you, wait till you have to hide from a creeping one just steps away from you... your character goes insane... and goes into a fetal position lol.
#22 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -

:( whoops. I should have mentioned that you should just run the demo to test if it works on your system and not to actually play through it. 

I consider the demo a spoiler of sorts D:

#23 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

F.E.A.R. 

I only play these games when it's properly dark with headphones... 

Scary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.