Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent a game that needs some hype.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evilsbane

I just became aware of a new game from the makers of Penumbra, a very unique and interesting first person adventure, This game looks awesome and the developers are having a little contest type thing, if they get 2000 preorders before May they will add extra content into the game, Its 16 bucks and the trailer looks awesome:

Click me for TRAILERS!

Check it out, if your interested predorder it so we can get some extra goodies!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

Thats the dumbest way to promote DLC I've ever seen...

Game looks kinda meh, but I bet some people are into it.

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveFart

i ain't scared of no amnesia

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Thats the dumbest way to promote DLC I've ever seen...  Game looks kinda meh, but I bet some people are into it. "
    The games (This one is very similar to the last series they did) do look rather...Cryostasis -ey (Read: janky and low budget) but in practice they are alot of fun and really good adventure/puzzle games, and this one looks to improve upon that formula. But it might just not be your kind of game obviously it is only for a select few since it only has 250 preorders and its due out this year, but I just figured I would spread the word.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't see them promoting DLC so that's the dumbest comment I've ever seen. Well, close enough to that.

And yeah, I'm confident this game will own, just like Penumbra. I doubt they'll get that many preorders though. Not that I care much for the content they will add, I'd rather wait and see if the game turns out as good as Penumbra, or better, before paying up (not confident enough for that!). The trailer is cool but heavily scripted, playing it yourself you wouldn't act like that at all (letting the statue drop when he hears the scream, lol).

Edit: also, none of that looks "janky" or "low budget" (even though it most certainly is the latter), they have done some incredible work in the content seen so far at least, everything looks polished and on par with high budget titles in terms of visuals, physics, and pretty much all seen so far. Maybe not quite as good as the very best out there but not bad by any means, and if it's like Penumbra, interactivity is beyond most.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By JeevesPleez

That reminds me, I still need to play the Penumbra Collection that's sitting on my shelf...

@Jeffsekai said:

" Thats the dumbest way to promote DLC I've ever seen... 
    Yeah, depending on 1999 other people kinda sucks, but if it happens, it's not too different from any other pre-order DLC bonus.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Al3xand3r: I wasn't saying How I thought it looked but that is the impression I get from other people, personally I think it looks fucking amazing.

Oh yea and the reactions were awesome LoL.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binman88
    @Evilsbane said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" Thats the dumbest way to promote DLC I've ever seen...  Game looks kinda meh, but I bet some people are into it. "
    The games (This one is very similar to the last series they did) do look rather...Cryostasis -ey (Read: janky and low budget) but in practice they are alot of fun and really good adventure/puzzle games, and this one looks to improve upon that formula. But it might just not be your kind of game obviously it is only for a select few since it only has 250 preorders and its due out this year, but I just figured I would spread the word. "
    I think it looks interesting, might actually pick it up. Cryostasis is one of the best looking games I've ever played - I like the sort of stuff that comes out of these types of developers, in that they usually don't look as samey as most other games on the market.

Edit: By the way, the extra content is a commentary track from the developers. I guess some people would be interested in that sort of thing, but it's not much of a draw for me to preorder the game 6 months in advance.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Tordah

That trailer really gave me the creeps. Excellent sound design. Dark and dank catacombs are the worst!

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By RagingLion

I'm fascinated by the various narrative techniques they're using and the type of gameplay they're offering and I started following the developers blog last week because they really do talk about some interesting general video game theory there.  However I can't hack horror stuff so it won't be a game I'm buying.

AstralDisaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AstralDisaster

the extra content they're "promoting" is actually just a  commentary track.

"  At 2000 pre-orders, placed before the 31st of May, the game will get extra content in the form of a commentary track. By enabling commentaries, members from Frictional Games will talk about the creation of Amnesia: The Dark Descent during your playtrough. 

The commentaries will be in English only!"

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops

FUCK THAT GAME. I can barely even play Penumbra let alone that.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " FUCK THAT GAME. I can barely even play Penumbra let alone that. "
    I feel the same, I still forced myself through most of penumbra nearly had a damn heart attack when I first saw the worm. I am thinking about pre-ordering this. Probable going to need a big bag of adult diapers but hey I can get through this !
    deerpoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deerpoob

I really loved Penumbra:black plague, I didnt play it but i watched my brother beat it, Im not the type of guy to get scared, I love to watch horror movies and laugh at there attempts to scare me, and I refused to play that game, it terrified me in a way nothing else can, and I loved it! ive never wanted to preorder a game before, but this game looks amazing (honestly there sound guys are amazing!) and I defenitly feel its worth my 16 bucks, I felt that they could do much more with the setting then just silent hill esque visions and dark dank science labs, and i think this almost mediveal look is just what it needs!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder

Newish (kinda) gameplay video:

Sanitysend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Sanitysend

This game kick ass, please support these guys. A great change from closet scares and claustrophobic shooters.

devosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By devosion

This game scares me shitless. I love it!

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wormz
    @devosion said:
    " This game scares me shitless. I love it! "
    Agreed. Very, very nice atmosphere.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @BraveFart said:
    "i ain't scared of no amnesia "

You will be :P
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By natetodamax

Posting to unlock

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @BraveFart said:
    " i ain't scared of no amnesia "
    What about Ghosts?
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Jadeskye

seems like a niche market.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.