Fear and Loathing in the Dark Descent

  • 162 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#151 Posted by Karmann (623 posts) -

14 when Blair-Witch came out?!?!? Yeesh, I'm OLD!!

#152 Posted by stryker1121 (1237 posts) -

Very nice column, Patrick. Not spoilery at all ;) I played another 20 minutes of Amnesia tonight and it's a very unique experience. I too am playing in the dark w/ headphones even though it wigs me out to move from light into a dark room. I play straight up in my seat just waiting for something to crawl out of the darkness and nothing keeps happening. It's f'n unnerving and I can't do it for long w/o pausing the game (they should get rid of the pause option for Machine For Pigs) and walking away for a minute or two.

Not being able to fight back really is huge in the fear factor. I'm playing Condemned 2 right now and it's a creepy, brutal, grimy game, but being able to pummel dudes helps tamp down the anxiety.

#153 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (112 posts) -

Everyone who was 12,13,14 years old when this film came out . Go too your rooms and don't come out..... I'm old :( Did anyone play the games?

#154 Posted by TatsurouXIII (647 posts) -

BWP was the most overrated movie ever. It was not scary at all, just a bunch of retards running around a fucking forest. I have a forest like that right outside my house and it's just as chill and mellow like that stupid fucking movie. Also, it's a fucking plagiarism of Cannibal Holocaust, so fuck that.

#155 Posted by Loganchase (20 posts) -

In my opinion it's pieces like these that show how good an addition to the site Patrick really is.

#156 Posted by TheHT (10274 posts) -

@fox01313: That was a great read.

#157 Posted by BitterAlmond (400 posts) -

I played Amnesia. It wasn't scary. I could see how it could be, but even with the lights out alone at night, the janky controls and uncertain fetch-quests had me too confused about what exactly I was supposed to do and how to do it to actually become immersed at all in the game.

Likewise, when the first enemy appeared and began staring at me, I calmly went to another room, selected something that looked heavy and threw it at it. It didn't do anything and I died. It wasn't scary, just disappointing.

#158 Posted by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

@Astiaks: Too bad when trying to install them with my current PC (Win 7 64-bit) the Blair Witch games seem to be suffering from the same curse that Nocturne is hit by which means that a lot of the gameplay now is messy or not showing up due to the rendering/video settings of the game same as so many others of that time period. They might work on earlier systems but the one I have just could be more of a mess to get the games running properly.

#159 Posted by Xeirus (1279 posts) -

@BitterAlmond said:

I played Amnesia. It wasn't scary. I could see how it could be, but even with the lights out alone at night, the janky controls and uncertain fetch-quests had me too confused about what exactly I was supposed to do and how to do it to actually become immersed at all in the game.

Likewise, when the first enemy appeared and began staring at me, I calmly went to another room, selected something that looked heavy and threw it at it. It didn't do anything and I died. It wasn't scary, just disappointing.

I guess it's possible nothing in the game scared you, but I also feel like people who go out of their way to say things like this are trying too hard to impress someone ...

If the game didn't scare you feel free to tell us what does, otherwise it just sounds like you're bragging.

#160 Posted by BitterAlmond (400 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@BitterAlmond said:

I played Amnesia. It wasn't scary. I could see how it could be, but even with the lights out alone at night, the janky controls and uncertain fetch-quests had me too confused about what exactly I was supposed to do and how to do it to actually become immersed at all in the game.

Likewise, when the first enemy appeared and began staring at me, I calmly went to another room, selected something that looked heavy and threw it at it. It didn't do anything and I died. It wasn't scary, just disappointing.

I guess it's possible nothing in the game scared you, but I also feel like people who go out of their way to say things like this are trying too hard to impress someone ...

If the game didn't scare you feel free to tell us what does, otherwise it just sounds like you're bragging.

I was pretty terrified by Doom 3, and Penumbra until I discovered Penumbra to be similarly broken and janky.

Basically any horror game where the interface doesn't get in the way of immersion. If I feel like even understanding the game is a chore, I'm not going to get into it enough to be scared by it.

#161 Posted by Xeirus (1279 posts) -

@BitterAlmond: So... jump scares, the cheapest form of "scary" is what scares you. Well alright, I prefer my horror to request a little more effort than that.

#162 Posted by BitterAlmond (400 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@BitterAlmond: So... jump scares, the cheapest form of "scary" is what scares you. Well alright, I prefer my horror to request a little more effort than that.

Hey, Doom 3 wasn't all just jump scares. Jump scares are the easiest thing to deal with, too: just shoot the shotgun and you're good to go. The atmosphere of that game (the darkness, etc) really bugged me out.

#163 Posted by Sergiy (13 posts) -

As someone who plays Horror games a lot, both for the story and and thrill, I could relate to this article, I've never watched "The Blair Witch Project" but I've heard great things about it.

Really looking forward to the "Machine for pigs" since it's made by both Frictional and The Chinese Room, Dear Esther really nailed the atmosphere. Also, I hope that this current fascination with Amnesia attracts more attention towards the Penumbra Series, which, in my opinion, is the superior series story-wise, the way that game makes you feel it's hard to descrbe, I would really recomend it to anyone that enjoyed Amnesia.

#164 Posted by blacketj (4 posts) -

Sounds good. I'll have to make sure I get it next time I see it on sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.