H.P. Lovecraft education:

#1 Posted by thomasriis1987 (130 posts) -

Well, i just wanted to onform you guys i wrote a blog about Lovecraft some time ago, and - well, it's not to promote myself, but I figured some who likes this game, wanted to know a bit more about the man who started all this - and how much influence he has had, over the years. 

Go check it out if you want: 

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/thomasriis1987/blog/?page=2      

Great game by the way - scared the shit out of me at some points.

#2 Posted by MrDangerous35 (3 posts) -

Hey Thanks for that.  After playing the game I realize that for horror I may really want to finally pick up the HP Lovecraft book thats been sitting on my shelf for over a year or so now. Good write up though, thanks!

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Am I just looking in he wrong places or is Lovecraft hard to find? I was in a bookstore the other day and in the horror section, they only had one book which was a collection of short stories.

#4 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@HandsomeDead:  A lot of his work is available on the internet. I can easily find it in bookstores in Australia, but not sure whether there's some specific reason his work isn't widely available where you are.
#5 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I went for Audiobooks for his works.

If you want recommendations, start with the following:

The Ousider

Call of Cthulu

The Statement of Randoph Carter

The Mountains of Madness (may also be referred to as 'at the mountains of...)

#6 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Am I just looking in he wrong places or is Lovecraft hard to find? I was in a bookstore the other day and in the horror section, they only had one book which was a collection of short stories. "
If you mean that the only Lovecraft they had was a collection of short stories, then you should get that. He mostly wrote only short stories, and even then, his "novels" (like At the Mountains of Madness) are usually slim enough to fit inside collections.
#7 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Godot: It was a collection of 4 short stories in a book that looked quite small. When I looked on the blurb, I didn't recognise any of them either so it wasn't his famous stories like The Mountains of Madness or anything. I'll probably pick it up next time I'm there though.
#8 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:

" @Godot: It was a collection of 4 short stories in a book that looked quite small. When I looked on the blurb, I didn't recognise any of them either so it wasn't his famous stories like The Mountains of Madness or anything. I'll probably pick it up next time I'm there though. "

Ah, it's a shame there isn't a bigger collection you could get. Lovecraft seems to undergo these weird dips and resurgences in popularity; when I bought my anthology (the first Penguin one, called The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories) in a medium-sized bookshop there was at least four other anthologies on the shelf from differing publishers. This was four or five years ago, mind, so maybe people might be buying his books less at the moment.

(if you could remember the stories that were in it I might be able to tell you whether or not it'd be worth buying; as many good stories Lovecraft's written, he's written a few duffers. I wouldn't put it past a publisher to include one good story with 3 shitty ones)
#9 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Godot: I'll be back in that bookshop within the next few days so I'll let you know.
#10 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I personally recommend this collection if you can find it where you live. It has 22 stories including all of the must-reads in a nicely made book. It's not a cheap paperback with a lame monster on the cover and filled with only two good stories like some of his collections. I don't know where you're located, but it's available at the big chain bookstores where I live. I had that thing out of the library for about 5 months a couple of years ago. I would have purchased it, but I ended up getting an ereader and filling it up with his works from here. If you want a taste, I suggest reading some stuff from that link. As other have pointed out, most of the stories are shorter so you should be able to get a sample to see if you want more before tracking down some books.

Oh, and if you haven't played it, get yourself a copy of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth sometime. I played through it for the first time last year on my original Xbox while waiting for my 360 to be repaired and I really enjoyed it. It strays quite a bit from The Shadow Over Innsmouth on which it's loosely based, but the changes all work within the Cthulhu mythos.

#11 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

I can't wait to bu this game. H. P. Lovecraft is my favorite writer of all time. No one can create an atmosphere like him.

#12 Posted by Innovacious (237 posts) -

All his books are public domain now (in the US and the majority of Europe atleast). You can get them as ebooks for free here

#13 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

I recently found a large hardback full of Lovecraft's works. For those interested it's called "Necronomicon: the best weird tales of H.P. Lovecraft"

#14 Posted by csl316 (8695 posts) -

nice blog!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.