Let's Play Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

• 90 results
Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

So yeah. Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

The new title from Frictional Games, the makers of Penumbra. So far, in the hour and a half I've played, they've done it again! :O

The videos are in 720p and around 30 minutes in duration. They're also commentated and edited for time, because that's how I roll. Oh and brightened in post so it's not just a black screen the whole time.

Will be adding parts daily. :)

PART 1 - September 8th:

PART 2 - September 9th:

PART 3 - September 10th:

PART 4 - September 11th:

PART 5 - September 12th:

PART 6 - September 13th:

PART 7 - September 14th: 

PART 8 - September 15th:

Well, there we go - that's it! Playthrough complete!
#1 Edited by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

So yeah. Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

The new title from Frictional Games, the makers of Penumbra. So far, in the hour and a half I've played, they've done it again! :O

The videos are in 720p and around 30 minutes in duration. They're also commentated and edited for time, because that's how I roll. Oh and brightened in post so it's not just a black screen the whole time.

Will be adding parts daily. :)

PART 1 - September 8th:

PART 2 - September 9th:

PART 3 - September 10th:

PART 4 - September 11th:

PART 5 - September 12th:

PART 6 - September 13th:

PART 7 - September 14th: 

PART 8 - September 15th:

Well, there we go - that's it! Playthrough complete!
#2 Posted by Driadon (3012 posts) -

My pants are wet and I must stand. 

Seriously, the Penumbra games are the few games I can't play because they are TOO scary. This one seems very much in that same vein.

#3 Posted by Barrock (3552 posts) -

I downloaded the demo on Steam and it ran quite poorly. Frame rate was awful.

#4 Edited by empfeix (774 posts) -
@Driadon said:

" My pants are wet and I must stand.  Seriously, the Penumbra games are the few games I can't play because they are TOO scary. This one seems very much in that same vein. "

Ha I said very much the same thing to myself.  That's why I love Hamsters Lets Play, I don't have to play it myself and freak out -- not only that but some well timed "@#$!" and other hilarious commentaries.  Oh and he edits them well which makes watching a whole game way less of a grind, its more flowing, good stuff!  

@Barrock:

They are a small dev and it may not be the best optimized game.  However I hope they stick around they make cool games.
#5 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Loved the demo, 70% downloaded on Steam.

Seems much better crafted than Penumbra.

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I should get this. Looks freakingly awesome.

#7 Posted by buzz_clik (7014 posts) -
@Driadon said:
" My pants are wet and I must stand. "
Someone should totally make a Flash game with this title.
#8 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" @Driadon said:
Someone should totally make a Flash game with this title. "
I was thinking of making a game called. "Play naked while your ass sticks to the chair."
#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14563 posts) -

Good stuff. I don't usually watch stuff like this outside of the ERs, but I think I may this time.

#10 Posted by Sweep (8950 posts) -

I played the demo last night, lights off, headphones full volume. Fucking terrified me to the point I actually had to build up the courage to enter each room. I played the first Penumbra game and this one has a much better level or presentation. The sound design is really genius - as you slowly go more insane you start hearing shit which is much more un-nerving than the enemies lurching around. 

I kept hearing this clicking right behind me. Every time I turned around there was nobody there but... that damn clicking...  

:(

#11 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

I really want this game, but my damn internet won't let me >:I

#12 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

Just checking, but were there actually any enemies? You ran a lot, but I never actually saw anything that looked like it could hurt you.

#13 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" Just checking, but were there actually any enemies? You ran a lot, but I never actually saw anything that looked like it could hurt you. "

I dunno! I'm pretty sure there were enemies and I simply managed to avoid them. I bet if I had ever just ran straight into where noises where coming from I would have encountered one. I only assume this from having played the Penumbra games in which there were enemies lurking around, albeit in small quantities that were easily avoidable.

I'm not sure I want to find out if those are just noises or actual enemies. :P
#14 Posted by perilator666 (471 posts) -

aw dude. at 29:00 you shoulda just continued into the hall. you didnt even get to see the monster. :p

#15 Edited by McPaper (255 posts) -

The game likes to spook you, you don't encounter until later.

Actually Im not sure  - if you explored the end part of your video a bit more you could have found something. Like you however I didn't want to stick around very long.

#16 Posted by rathantoras (192 posts) -

For anyone else playing, i just took the elevator and i'm too scared to go on...but i really want to :(

#17 Edited by Karkarov (3230 posts) -

Nice work, was thinking of doing one of these myself  but I am an ass so I wouldn't turn up the brightness I try to always get the original look when I do a capture.  Even with your increased brightness it is still fairly dark though.

PS: In his defense the first time you boot the game it gives you various helpful messages.  One of them is "do not play this game to win" followed soon by "do not fight the monsters you encounter it is always hide or if you have to run."  Actually seeing the monsters in this game apparently normally ends in you dead, or bat@#^$ insane.

#18 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

It's refreshing to play a proper Survival Horror game, and Amnesia is fucking scary. I haven't gotten especially far in it, but passing a door, read some documents and then going back to see the door has been opened is really unnerving. The sound design is absolutely spectacular, and hearing low growls and footsteps, not knowing if they're real or you're just imagining it really raises the tension.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (12295 posts) -

;__; I don't think I can play this anymore.

#20 Posted by TurboMan (7690 posts) -

My Mac sucks, so I'll just watch you play this one.

#21 Posted by Hoecake (25 posts) -

Couldn't finish Penumbra due to being a chicken, but bought this in hopes I had grown a pair since then. Oh boy, how wrong I was. This is probably the scariest game I've played, but for some reason I have to continue.

#22 Posted by hhess1@aug.edu (3 posts) -

keep it up! this is great. can't wait til you get farther lol
#23 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
@AsherWise: The next vid will be up probably within the hour! They take like 4 hours to upload and process. -____-
#24 Posted by hhess1@aug.edu (3 posts) -

i wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway! woo!
#25 Edited by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
#26 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Hamst3r is credit to community.

This really does look intense.  Thanks for introducing me to this game.

#27 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

I have trouble playing far less scarier games so I think I'll pass this one. I wouldn't last a minute in Amnesia!

#28 Posted by Jazz (2294 posts) -

Is it me, or is this completely different to the demo? It's the same beginning area and then it goes off into something else entirely.
Your reactions are hilarious btw..they actually make the vid better

#29 Posted by ToxicFruit (1718 posts) -

Been playing this and I am pissing my pants, I had no problem playing penumbra after awhile but this...this is something else

#30 Posted by perilator666 (471 posts) -

oh nice dude. been waiting on part 2.

#31 Posted by Kato (159 posts) -

Great Let's Play, you need to conserve your tinderboxes though :) Also I like the trying to climb to the rafters (fruitlessly) in part 2. I hadn't thought of that.

#32 Posted by TheDukeofArgyll (102 posts) -

The feel I get from this game is akin to Dead Space.  It keeps you pretty high strung throughout the game and eventually you just have to take a break.  I like this in games.  Unfortunately the Dead Space people said they didn't like this about the first game, and wanted players to feel safer in certain areas.  Thankfully the Prenumbra guys don't seem to think games can be too scary.  From what I played last night, the game kept me pretty scared and even caused me to jump a few times (once from some one turning a light on outside my house)  and I haven't even encountered any kind of monsters.  The game says its best enjoyed in a dark room with head phones, and I can tell you this is absolutely true.  Can't wait to finish it.

#33 Posted by billyblaze (63 posts) -

I think this is currently the best Let's Play for Amnesia; you could pop one of those videos out every other hour, if it was up to me. 

Thought of Killer Croc as well as soon as I stepped down to the flooded archive.

#34 Posted by TurboMan (7690 posts) -

pt. two was great.

#35 Edited by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
#36 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

It looks like if Darkness the movie ever made a video game, it would be like this... Also out of all the Let Play's which have the worst commentary, yours was better

#37 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

Favorite line so far: "Ohhh! Getupgetupgetupgetup, oh, the floor is made of fuckin' terrible!"

#38 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Alright, I completed the game. I didn't feel that scary towards the end, maybe I just got used to it. Anyway, there are some brilliant levels in it, the invisible monster in particular comes to mind, and the unnatural darkness in the storage area. Because the darkness is extra... dark, you light just about every torch and candle you find. I won't spoil what happens, but lighting everything might be a mistake...
Oh, and the torture chambers are excellent. You don't see anything, but the sounds and images in your head should be more than adequate to gross you out.

Good game, I don't regret buying it.

#39 Posted by TurboMan (7690 posts) -

The dog bit was fun.

#40 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1048 posts) -

I dug the demo, and it was pretty damn creepy, but I certainly didn't wet my pants like some of you wussies. :P

#41 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" Favorite line so far: "Ohhh! Getupgetupgetupgetup, oh, the floor is made of fuckin' terrible!" "
classic hamster!
#42 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
#43 Posted by billyblaze (63 posts) -

Please quit your day job and do Let's Play's full time. Thanks.

#44 Posted by Wes899 (2125 posts) -

I've been watching you play, really cool so far. 

#45 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" @Driadon said:
Someone should totally make a Flash game with this title. "
Yeah it'll be called "Don't stay seated after wetting your pants."
#46 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
@billyblaze said:
" Please quit your day job and do Let's Play's full time. Thanks. "

Please send "Let's Play" donations to hamster@hamsteralliance.com. Thanks. :)
#47 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
#48 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

Dude great lets play.Dog head part had me in stitches.

#49 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Hamst3r I am keeping up with the "Let's Play"s and I must say you are a brave man to best the trenches of that terrifying game~!

#50 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.