When does the game become interesting?

#1 Posted by Jeust (10818 posts) -

I've played the beginning of the game a while ago and found to be very boring. When does the game get better than wandering empty halls and cellars?

#2 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Shit should start to go bad about an hour in or so if I'm remembering correctly? Might not just be a game for you if the weird growths have gotten everywhere and you're still not into it though.

#3 Posted by Bucketdeth (8043 posts) -

Not sure how you are bored, I was on edge the whole time. You must be a Terminator.

#4 Posted by Jeust (10818 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

Not sure how you are bored, I was on edge the whole time. You must be a Terminator.

ahah maybe...

#5 Posted by kindisaurus (2796 posts) -

You obviously aren't really the type of person who would find this enjoyable. Much like Patrick has said in his videos, you have to get "into the mood" in order to enjoy a horror game. With Amnesia, the game was keeping me on edge for the entire trip, so maybe it will just be lost on you.

#6 Posted by 49th (2816 posts) -

You're too cool for ghouls.

#7 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (468 posts) -

Apparently you ain't 'fraid of no ghosts.

#8 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

Stop being a weenie.

Turn the lights off, play by yourself and turn that sound up. I don't think I ever jumped out of my seat or screamed, but the game definitely gave me the creeps and made me feel uneasy. Let it happen, don't go into it so you can make a topic going "why do people say this game is scary?"

#9 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

I just saw your list

Did you really think Alan Wake and Dead Space was scary?

#10 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

Are you playing at night with headphones? It never gets 'interesting' per se. It's a game where the oppressive atmosphere makes up for the lack of traditional gameplay. There are some interesting puzzles and the story is passable, but you won't get much out of it if you're not in the right frame of mind.

#11 Posted by medacris (669 posts) -

It depends. If you're like me and monsters and jump scares don't phase you, it probably won't be your thing. I'm more of a psychological terror person myself.

#12 Posted by stryker1121 (1567 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Are you playing at night with headphones? It never gets 'interesting' per se. It's a game where the oppressive atmosphere makes up for the lack of traditional gameplay. There are some interesting puzzles and the story is passable, but you won't get much out of it if you're not in the right frame of mind.

Yeah--if you're gonna play you've got to go full boat, i.e. in the dark w/ headphones. Like Patrick, I find Amnesia unnerving to the point where it's not even enjoyable. But it is an experience.

#13 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Play in the dark with a headset.

#14 Edited by Jeust (10818 posts) -

@Zetetic_Elench: @Bucketdeth: @ck1nd: @Doctorchimp: @medacris: @stryker1121: @Phatmac:

Thanks for your replies. I think I figured what my problem is. Like said:

I played at night without headphones, in the dead silence of the night. I think the problem was with the oppressive atmosphere I wasn't feeling. I'll give it another try after I finish Lone Survivor.

@Doctorchimp said:

I just saw your list

Did you really think Alan Wake and Dead Space was scary?

Alan Wake wasn't scary at all, but the atmosphere, plot and polish the game had made it superb. Dead Space was sometimes scary because of the sound deparment, where minimal sounds echoing throughout the ship made me uneasy or hearing an enemy behind me made me run for my life.

#15 Edited by mordukai (7181 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Stop being a weenie.

Turn the lights off, play by yourself and turn that sound up. I don't think I ever jumped out of my seat or screamed, but the game definitely gave me the creeps and made me feel uneasy. Let it happen, don't go into it so you can make a topic going "why do people say this game is scary?"

People find things scary for a number of reasons. I know I for one can't get scared from a game because my mind knows that it's still just a game. I get to be a spectator with some control over the story. I also think a lot of people mistake getting scared to getting startled. Most horror games these days go for the cheap "BO" then truly trying to scare you by getting inside your mind. I generally don't find monster theme games and movies very scary, and I certainly don't consider gore scary.

I think what makes amnesia so scary to gamers is the fact that you don't have any tools to fight back. I think that's the secret ingredient to it considered so scary. It's not that they get scared by the monsters or the atmosphere, those just add to the experience, but the true scare of this game is that you can't fight back. As gamers we've been conditioned to have these tools so developers are scared (the irony) that by taking such a well expected tool from the player would hurt the game. Once in a while you have a developer with the balls to try what other won't.

That's my 2 cents at least.

#16 Edited by Jeust (10818 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Stop being a weenie.

People find things scary for a number of reasons. I know I for one can't get scared from a game because my mind knows that it's still just a game. I get to be a spectator with some control over the story. I also think a lot of people mistake getting scared to getting startled. Most horror games these days go for the cheap "BO" then truly trying to scare you by getting inside your mind. I generally don't find monster theme games and movies very scary, and I certainly don't consider gore scary.

I think what makes amnesia so scary to gamers is the fact that you don't have any tools to fight back. I think that's the secret ingredient to it considered so scary. It's not that they get scared by the monsters or the atmosphere, those just add to the experience, but the true scare of this game is that you can't fight back. As gamers we've been conditioned to have these tools so developers are scared (the irony) that by taking such a well expected tool from the player would hurt the game. Once in a while you have a developer with the balls to try what other won't.

That's my 2 cents at least.

That is also a good perspective. I have to play the game some more to test it out. ahah

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.