Worth it for $2.50?

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

Psn is having a pretty cool little Halloween sale and I saw AMY on there for 2.50. The reviews and impressions weren't great but I'm curious if its ok for a very cheap price? Thanks for the help in advance.

#2 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

I didn't play the actual game but I played through the demo (which was most of the first level shown in the QL) and it didn't play very well

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -
@Genkkaku Id love to do that but I don't think there is a demo on ps3
#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1571 posts) -

Only if you enjoy pain. Haha.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14882 posts) -

Buying a couple of double cheeseburgers from McDonalds would be a better use of 2.50

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5593 posts) -

They have patched a lot of the issues from the quicklook since then. Not played it myself though.

Patch notes in question:

- the last checkpoint you reach is now saved (instead of going back to the beginning of the chapter)

- the syringes remain in the inventory after a checkpoint is reached

- Amy’s Powers remain available after a checkpoint is reached

- the Combat camera has been removed

- most sequences can now be skipped

- the ingame brightness has been improved

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Sackmanjones At a certain point, if a game is bad enough, you wouldn't want to play it if it was free. There are better ways to spend your time than play Amy.
#8 Posted by me3639 (1765 posts) -

I think i heard one time on a PC gamer podcast, and if i recall correctly i think they all agreed(discussing steam sales) almost any game is worth trying for a buck or 2.

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -
@me3639
I think i heard one time on a PC gamer podcast, and if i recall correctly i think they all agreed(discussing steam sales) almost any game is worth trying for a buck or 2.
This game is 2.50. Thanks for nothing.
#10 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

After all the fixing they have done. Yes. Marchello compels you.

#11 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Dunno I'd try asking them to pay you at least 10 dollars to play it

#12 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I'm of the opinion that any game you'll actually play for any period of time (I mean that literally, I don't means "a long time") is worth $2.50. If it sucks you can likely get your money;s worth of entertainment by bitching on forums. Or just in laughing at how bad it is while playing. In the developed word, $2.50 is nearly nothing.

#13 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@Genkkaku: I say you just flip that $2 coin and let fate decide!

#14 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4370 posts) -

Is that the bad looking game with the creepy old guy calling out for Amy?

#15 Edited by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

As others have said, it can't hurt just to give it a try? Been meaning to play it myself for a while, too. I got Hydrophobia Prophecy for a similar price and I was surprised to find it wasn't as bad as I'd been lead to believe. In fact I thought it was... alright. A poor man's Uncharted for the most part, though the water tech alone I thought was worth the admission. Just too bad they didn't capitalise on the mechanics they only introduce just as it's ending.

#16 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Do it. It's 2.50. Even if it's not a great game, it's okay to see what it did well, and what it did not. Remember, some people said the game was simply mediocre. And if you hate it, you can blame me.

#17 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

I haven't played it but I saw the Quick Look and, well, this applies:

@Hizang said:

@Sackmanjones At a certain point, if a game is bad enough, you wouldn't want to play it if it was free. There are better ways to spend your time than play Amy.

It just didn't look like anything I'd want to play for any period of time, regardless of cost.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11799 posts) -

Ask yourself: Is my time worth $2.50, knowing very well that this game is universally disliked? I'm just saying, there's a difference between willing to spend money on a game with contentious or mixed reception (i.e. I will play Resident Evil 6 once the price goes down because I have to know for myself) and a game with a metacritic of 33.

#19 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I've heard it was pretty bad. I've been suckered into buying questionable games at a great price before but oh god I wish I had my two dollars back for Hydrophobia.... so I would say you should probably not buy Amy unless you're interested in how bad it apparently is.

#20 Posted by Superkenon (1439 posts) -

Worth it for $2.50? Sure. Worth the time you'll never get back...? Eeeeehhhh.......

#21 Posted by Rafaelfc (1350 posts) -

Look, I don't mind most mediocre games, I S-Ranked Silent Hill downpour, I played through I Am Alive (and liked it), I even finished up Resident Evil 6 (and plan on S ranking that) still, I couldn't even finish the demo for Amy before getting insanely bored and annoyed at the game, it plays horribly, it's terrible to look at and the mechanics are never interesting.

when you have to backtrack stuff in the demo, you know someone fucked up.

I'd say for Amy $2.50 is still overpriced.

#22 Posted by Karkarov (3133 posts) -

For 2.50? Sure.

#23 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2107 posts) -

I am not going to lie, for $2.50, I was thinking of giving it a go, and with it being patched, I guess it can't be worse than what was in the quick look. I dunno, like Kevin McAllister says "I'll give it a whirl".

#24 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

did you end up getting AMY?

#25 Edited by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

did you end up getting AMY?

I did at least for £2. After playing through the first chapter, I have very little desire to go back to it. And this is coming from someone who still eats up all of the old Resident Evil and Silent Hill games.

EDIT: And who even thought Hydrophobia Prophecy was OK... I think that alone speaks volumes about AMY.

#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -
@Little_Socrates nope I went for xcom UFO defense instead and love it!

@Yummylee I thought hydrophobia was bad so to say the least, I'm glad I didn't purchase Amy. But I'm with you on the re games! Played through a bunch of the classics last summer and enjoyed the hell out of it.
#27 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

She was ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.