GB Anarchy Reigns Tournament Thing (Gauging interest)

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

So now that Anarchy Reigns is less than a month away from its North American and European release date (January 8th), I've decided to make a thread for a potential week 1, Giant Bomb community tournament that would take place on the weekend of January 12th. Last time I did something like this, it was pretty popular, so I'd like to see how many people are interested for this even though I don't expect as great of a response this time (I could be wrong given the game will retail for $29.99).

This isn't a thread for people to sign up or anything. All I want to see is people responding if they'd be interested in this along with which platform they'd be getting the game for (this would most likely be a PS3 event since that's what I'm getting it for). It's just to gauge interest and see if I should bother organizing something like this at all.

Also, I'd like opinions on which game mode should be used for this. People might actually need to experience the game for themselves to make a proper decision, but it wouldn't hurt getting opinions on that now.

Game Modes

Battle Royale

Up to 16 players can play against each other in this game mode, with the minimum being 8. The winners are determined by number of kills.

Deathmatch

From what I can tell, this is basically Battle Royale with 4 players in smaller stages?

Cage Match

Standard 1v1 that takes place in really small stages.

I'm thinking that if this were to be a more traditional and simple kind of tournament, then Cage Match would be the way to go. But this is Anarchy Reigns, so I'm leaning more towards Deathmatch or Battle Royale.

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

I didn't realize this was coming out so soon.

Of course, as always, I work on weekends so I won't be able to participate.

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

How do you get Bayonetta in this game? I will probably be getting this game but for xbox.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

How do you get Bayonetta in this game?

Pre-order it.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

How do you get Bayonetta in this game?

Pre-order it.

That is the worst thing I have heard all day. Granted I just got up. Any store, because as much as I dislike pre order bonuses Bayonetta may be worth it.

#6 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Count me the F- in!

#7 Posted by Flappy (2236 posts) -

I'd be down for it. I have it preordered for my 360.

#8 Posted by MrWoks (37 posts) -

Sounds like a plan.

#9 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I feel like Deathmatch and Cage Match would be the preferred. Battle Royale just looks like a clusterfuck where as Deathmatch feels manageable.

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

Might have to organize a separate 360 tournament like what I did with P4A depending on the demand.

#11 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I'd be in for that. Couple dudes on our community mumble and I have been getting super pumped for this game for the past month or so.

#12 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

I'd be interested to play Anarchy Reigns with some GB people. But I will say from what I've played is that I feel Anarchy Reigns doesn't really lend itself well to tournament style play. At least in going for the purist, most fair sense. The very first line from the song "Laughin at U" even says 'fair fights don't exist' and it's pretty good at setting the tone. It's more about you're fighting a guy and then a cargo plane crashes into the stage or a giant killer robot named Cthulu shows up and blasts anyone caught in his wake. Granted these scenarios only happen in the Battle Royale mode, but there's no option to turn them off. At the same time, if you have a big response, you can have 8 or 16 player games and take top 3 winners or something.

You could also go Cage Match or Deathmatch. Cage Match is just 1 on 1 with no items, no hazards, and no regenerating health which is as close as you can get to tournament play. Not sure if the game excels at that though, I feel it's way better at chaos in the vein of Smash Bros. The kind of scenarios where anything can happen. There's also been talk of infinite combos from the Rin Sisters and Bayonetta, although I haven't seen it myself.

Deathmatch is 4 Player free-for-all but every stage has some kind of danger to it. Subway has rampaging trains, Foundry has disappearing floors over molten lava. Helipad has bottomless pits. Etc. Items also randomly drop from shields, to sniper rifles, to kill satellite devices and more. I guess it's more controlled than Battle Royale, but there's still some chaos to it.

Either way, I'd love to give it a try. Even if a tournament doesn't get going, it would be great to just play the game. Especially the Survival Modes, they're my favorite.

#13 Edited by Bocam (3742 posts) -

I'd rather a 360 tournament. Platinum games just feel better there

#14 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

Got this preordered on PS3. Only like £18 on shopto so fucking yes I'm in! Never partaken in any sort of widespread GB community event (besides in Uncharted 3, though we were a rather small community), so this could be fun.

#15 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

@Sarumarine: The intention for this isn't really for it to be super serious, balanced and stuff. Like the other tournaments I've organized, it's really all for fun and if chaos and unpredictability is what Anarchy Reigns is about, so be it. The tournament is just to give context to a community event where a bunch of players could meet up and play against each other. The opinion seems to be leaning more towards Deathmatch, though.

Does Battle Royale actually support 16 players or was the limit reduced to 8?

@Bocam said:

Wasn't it just Bayonetta that had major issues in the PS3 version compared to the 360 one?

#16 Posted by csl316 (8646 posts) -

I got it preordered for 360, but I always have a hard time carving out time for community tournaments.

#17 Posted by Emoney244 (161 posts) -

I'm definitely interested. Getting the game day 1.

#18 Posted by Rerejo28 (135 posts) -

I am definitely interested!! I pre-ordered it for ps3.

#19 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

I would be interested. Euro/PS3 although I am not sure I'll make it January 12th, the release date for my preordered UK version is January 11th and this will probably for sure not reach me in time (by personal experience the UK stuff arrives 2-3 days later)... Mmmh, maybe I'll cancel my preorder and try to get in a store at the 11th...

#20 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Sarumarine: The intention for this isn't really for it to be super serious, balanced and stuff. Like the other tournaments I've organized, it's really all for fun and if chaos and unpredictability is what Anarchy Reigns is about, so be it. The tournament is just to give context to a community event where a bunch of players could meet up and play against each other. The opinion seems to be leaning more towards Deathmatch, though.

Does Battle Royale actually support 16 players or was the limit reduced to 8?

That sounds cool. Then Anarchy Reigns is great if you're aren't going for the (pardon the joke) "Final Destination, No Items, Fox Only" rhetoric. It's all crazy fun, as far as I'm concerned.

The minimum number of human players for Battle Royale is 8, but you can play with any number higher than that up to 16. Also, if you only have 8 human players, you have the option of filling out the rest with 8 CPU players. That's really only for private games though.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I've put in a lot of time with Anarchy Reigns when I imported it in August.

#21 Posted by DocHaus (1329 posts) -

Put me down for "maybe." Much as I would like to play this game, I can't confirm playing at tourney time just yet.

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5444 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Bocam said:

Wasn't it just Bayonetta that had major issues in the PS3 version compared to the 360 one?

Bayonetta was eventually fixed on PS3 and runs fine when installed to the HD, with Vanquish I never had a single issue.

#23 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

PS3 here I'm in.

#24 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Sarumarine pretty much sums up my feelings for the game entirely. Smash Bros. vein of fighting/party game. Battle Royale seems most fitting with the kind of game it is, though Deathmatch should do better if we want something more focused. I'm leaning more toward BR, though.

#25 Posted by DocHaus (1329 posts) -

@Sarumarine: Isn't there some kind of handball mode where the players try to beat the crap out of each other while putting a ball in a net? I could swear I've seen a gameplay video with that one.

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

@DocHaus said:

@Sarumarine: Isn't there some kind of handball mode where the players try to beat the crap out of each other while putting a ball in a net? I could swear I've seen a gameplay video with that one.

Yeah, it's called Death Ball.

#27 Posted by DocHaus (1329 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Thanks. Added that to the wiki, it was bugging me for a little bit.

#28 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

@DocHaus: Yeah, like FluxWave said, it's Death Ball. That's 4v4 everyone scrambles for the ball in the middle and fights over it. With rocket launchers sometimes. It's pretty cool.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14821 posts) -

Honestly, that game play looked fucking awfuly boring. No wonder this game did horribly in Japan.

#30 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Demoskinos said:

Honestly, that game play looked fucking awfuly boring. No wonder this game did horribly in Japan.

Thanks for your extremely relevant input in regards to this topic.

Well, you know. People see stuff they don't like, they have to get their jabs in wherever they can. At the very least you can count Demoskinos as a very definite "No."

#31 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4485 posts) -

Put me down as an interested party.

My Fei Rin is godlike.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'd rather get it on the 360. So I dunno. I'd like to be in on this put I'd prefer the 360 for these kinds of games.

#33 Edited by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -

I had no idea it was out so soon. Count me in for this. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an order to place.

Probably gonna go with PS3 version for no real reason other than wanting more excuses to play the PS3

#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

@Sarumarine said:

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I've put in a lot of time with Anarchy Reigns when I imported it in August.

Is Deathmatch only a 4 player mode or will it allow 3 players?

#35 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

360 im in

#36 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Sarumarine said:

Is Deathmatch only a 4 player mode or will it allow 3 players?

In a case like that, the fourth player will be filled out by a CPU that can't be turned off or disabled. If human players are missing from modes that require more than two players, they'll be filled in with Bots.

#37 Edited by Snowgoons (17 posts) -

Long time reader, first time poster. I am down for this definitely. I will be getting the game on ps3. I have an hd pvr and post videos here and there on youtube. Not trying to brag or anything lol just saying. I only have like 80 something subs lol, but I might be open to maybe setting up some sort of recording for this event. (Not sure how busy I am going to be, but in theory it's something I would LIKE to do :P)

You can find my latest battlefield 3 montage here

Perhaps we could get a few people to help out as well and put together some great match-ups and footage or something =)

I'll keep an eye out here and see where we stand at the release of the game!

@Demoskinos said:

You know I was feeling 100% the same, until I watched the IGN live hour play thing on youtube

I was right in the same boat as you, thinking man this doesn't look as good as say Bayonetta or Vanquish, but then I mean were talking a game where 16 players can fight all at once and every player can be a different character and there still would be Bayonetta or whoever wasn't chosen still unplayed. That in itself is awesome. (I personally prefer the 4v4 modes but haven't played yet) There hasn't been a game like this in forever, which is why I feel a lot of people are a bit jarred when they see the gameplay.

I mean the coolest thing to me is when 2 people are fighting it out and all of a sudden a half screen sized big dude CPU (mini boss?) comes in and those 2 people that were fighting team up to kill the CPU or try to trick the other into taking a hit and then double teaming with the CPU. Those kind of things make gameplay IMHO that will bring back memories of Power Stone and Goldeneye sitting around with a bunch of great friends laughing and having a blast.

I cannot play any more FPS only multiplayer games that we seem to be getting over and over again. It's like FINALLY devs are bringing back games outside of first person shooters AND Sly Cooper 4 is coming too! Finally another cool platformer! =)

I mean:

Come now....join us :)
#38 Edited by Atwa (620 posts) -

I am so on board, the game is right around the corner and my copy was already sent. Should arrive sometime this or next week, for PS3. 

#39 Edited by Solh0und (1772 posts) -

Me being on board depends on WHEN my replacement debit card arrives. I'm trying to preorder it this weekend but it seems like unseen forces are preventing me from doing so.

For those that are moaning and groaning about Bayonetta being pre-order DLC: She's only a multiplayer skin and from what I've heard she's kinda broken.

EDIT: I'll be PS3 by the way.

#40 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

@Sarumarine: I'm right about to start creating the sign-up thread, but should I ban Bayonetta?

#41 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Sarumarine: I'm right about to start creating the sign-up thread, but should I ban Bayonetta?

Is she considered overpowered or something? Or just to keep it fair because not everyone will have her?

#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Is she considered overpowered or something? Or just to keep it fair because not everyone will have her?

The latter point is less of an issue than the former, as I have heard certain people saying she is fairly overpowered. However, I've decided against banning anyone as it'd be fairly unnecessary and this is just for fun anyways.

#43 Posted by KontX (116 posts) -

This is all I'll be playing in January. I preordered it on Xbox 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.