Any quality Android games out?

#1 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

You know, something that isn't ported from the PC, or a glorified Flash game.

Is there anything worth looking at?

#2 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -

Not really, no.

#3 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Battleheart is great.

All of the Kairosoft games rock.

#4 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Battleheart is great.

All of the Kairosoft games rock.

@Emilio said:

or a glorified Flash game.

#5 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

people don't buy androids for games, they buy them because there are not iphones

#6 Posted by Swoxx (2993 posts) -

The last Humble Bundle was android + PC/Mac focused. Should've gotten in on that.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6419 posts) -

To add on to the OP's question: Anything compatible with the Fire?

#8 Posted by MB (12261 posts) -

World of Goo is available for Android. Works great and it's the perfect type of game for touch screens.

Moderator
#9 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

people don't buy androids for games, they buy them because there are not iphones

true.

@MB: I have it on PC...

#10 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@jetsetwillie: Gah, whenever people just say "Androids" instead of Android OS or Android phone I still think of humanoid robots and not the operating system.

#11 Posted by TopCat88 (176 posts) -

14px - Eurogamer Article This is a super meat boy style hard as nails platformer. FREE on Android and perhaps the best speed based control scheme I have seen on a touch device. Playing it a lot on my Nexus 7 right now.

Super Stick Man Golf The most time I have put into any mobile game. It's a 2D mini-golf with a really simple quality and great depth. Free (of course - I wouldn't pay for an app)

#12 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Although I didn't get a new android phone for gaming, it's surprising the lack of quality games on the platform. Either that, or I am just too spoilt with traditional gaming mediums to want to accept playing games that look to be made to be fun in a basic sense for a few minutes at a time like 'Cut the Rope' or 'Temple Run'. I also have an iPod Touch and still see nothing I really want to play on it besides messing around with 'Curiosity'.

Seems like I won't be understanding the appeal for mobile games for a while yet personally.

#13 Posted by Evilsbane (4594 posts) -

Waking Mars is pretty cool, not a lot of action but heavy atmosphere and a unique mechanic with growing little self contained ecosystems, its at least worth a look.

#14 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

people don't buy androids for games, they buy them because there are not iphones

Opinions can only be black or white, full Apple lover, or android fanatic, people can't purchase a phone because of tastes, it all boils down to brand loyalty...

#16 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Okay, looks as if this thread has been resurrected for the wrong reasons, but whatevs...

The stuff released in the Humble Bundle is usually pretty solid. Even though they were ports of iOS games, I really enjoyed The Room and Superbrothers.

#17 Posted by Sinusoidal (1417 posts) -

SNES9X for Android...

#18 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@sinusoidal: Well, yeah. Since ICS started supporting USB joypads natively I've been less inclined to take handhelds on vacation with me.

#19 Edited by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

There is this really neat RPG-ish baseball game on Android. The newer version craps out on my phone though :(

EDIT: Found it, Baseball Superstars 2012 or 2013

#20 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

@shagge: If you're wanting to play more games on your Kindle Fire, look into side-loading Android apps. They don't always work, but you can experiment.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6419 posts) -

@shagge: If you're wanting to play more games on your Kindle Fire, look into side-loading Android apps. They don't always work, but you can experiment.

I've long since started sideloading since posting that, haha. (the lack of Google Play access was killing me) Cheers, though.

#22 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

@shagge said:

@wewantsthering said:

@shagge: If you're wanting to play more games on your Kindle Fire, look into side-loading Android apps. They don't always work, but you can experiment.

I've long since started sideloading since posting that, haha. (the lack of Google Play access was killing me) Cheers, though.

You can root it and put regular Android on a kindle fire.

#23 Posted by ShaggE (6419 posts) -

@skytylz said:

@shagge said:

@wewantsthering said:

@shagge: If you're wanting to play more games on your Kindle Fire, look into side-loading Android apps. They don't always work, but you can experiment.

I've long since started sideloading since posting that, haha. (the lack of Google Play access was killing me) Cheers, though.

You can root it and put regular Android on a kindle fire.

I know.

#24 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@skytylz: The 1st gen Kindle Fire got a stable release of CM 10.1, which I'm a little jealous about.

#25 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2361 posts) -

Puzzles and Dragons, Magicka, Shadowgun, Nova 3, Bard's Tale, Kairosoft games, Carmageddon, Osmos HD, emulators, Dead Space, EPOCH, Vice City, NBA Jam, Most Wanted, Sonic CD, Super Hexagon, The Room, World of Goo, Beat Hazard, Dead Trigger, Doom GLES, Rayman Jungle Run, and Punch Quest. Just to name a few.

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

The games that end up in the Android Humble Bundles are generally pretty good, though they do of course exist on other platforms as well.

#27 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

@shagge said:

@skytylz said:

@shagge said:

@wewantsthering said:

@shagge: If you're wanting to play more games on your Kindle Fire, look into side-loading Android apps. They don't always work, but you can experiment.

I've long since started sideloading since posting that, haha. (the lack of Google Play access was killing me) Cheers, though.

You can root it and put regular Android on a kindle fire.

I know.

Then why is the lack of google play access killing you? You could get it if you wanted it that bad.

#28 Posted by Angouri (231 posts) -

Games I really liked include:

I really like the Humble Bundles with Android. They tend to release some great Android games first that way, and they're pretty good with updates for games that need them.

#29 Posted by Silver-Streak (1346 posts) -

Ravensword is pretty neat. it's trying really hard to be an Elder Scrolls game. I had heard of it before, but never tried it before it showed up in the Ouya Store today.

#30 Posted by ShaggE (6419 posts) -

@skytylz said:

@shagge said:

@skytylz said:

@shagge said:

@wewantsthering said:

@shagge: If you're wanting to play more games on your Kindle Fire, look into side-loading Android apps. They don't always work, but you can experiment.

I've long since started sideloading since posting that, haha. (the lack of Google Play access was killing me) Cheers, though.

You can root it and put regular Android on a kindle fire.

I know.

Then why is the lack of google play access killing you? You could get it if you wanted it that bad.

It isn't. I said "was".

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@swoxx said:

The last Humble Bundle was android + PC/Mac focused. Should've gotten in on that.

That Humble Bundle pack is still going. Humble Bundle 6. They just added three more games to it as well. That pack alone (Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Organ Trail, Fractal, Aquaria, McPixel, Broken Sword, Frozen Synapse, Nightsky, and Waking Mars) is worth it for both Android AND PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.