Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Android

Platform »

Google's mobile OS, available across multiple devices.

Hey, delete the Facebook app!

• 51 results
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I got a Nexus 6 last year after my Nexus 5 took a swim in a pool. (Not sure how that happened; crazy little guy was acting on its own recognizance.) I've enjoyed using it quite a bit, but it's had a decent amount of frustrations, too: apps would load slowly, the battery life didn't seem to match up with what reviews and other users would claim, the camera would crash or be unresponsive when I wanted to take a quick snap of something, etc. Nothing insurmountable, but definitely a lot of slight annoyances that would pop up at inopportune times.

I'd heard that the Facebook/Messenger apps were the cause of some slowdowns on Android devices, but I didn't realize precisely how bad it was affecting my phone until I took the plunge this week and uninstalled both of them. It's almost like I just got a whole new phone: almost every action I perform feels far more snappy and responsive than it did just a couple of days ago. That's especially true of the camera. Opening up the camera from the lockscreen is accomplished in a couple of seconds now, whereas before it could often take ten or fifteen or more seconds for the camera to actually respond to input when I opened it, at which point my precious puppy would often be on his way out of my life forever. Scrolling through the photo roll is also way faster than it used to be. I'm not sure what the Facebook app was doing in the background to affect the camera that badly; I assume that face-scanning every picture and uploading all that data to the NSA must have been a bit taxing on it. Even the games that I play have much quicker startup and load times than they did before.

All of this is purely anecdotal, of course; I didn't measure and compare any concrete times with benchmarking apps or anything. But even so, I can confidently say that uninstalling the FB and FB Messenger apps have made a huge difference in the performance of my phone. You don't even really lose much by uninstalling, either; attaching a bookmark to the mobile Facebook site to your homescreen is easy enough, and if you give it notification permissions you'll still get the usual notifications for messages and all the other crap.

I know this all sounds like ONE WEIRD TRICK TO IMPROVE PHONE PERFORMANCE, but it's really been a crazy night/day difference since I dumped those apps. Try it and see!

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Kill your facebook.

Avatar image for deactivated-6126d002b1d9f
    deactivated-6126d002b1d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yep! I previously had a droid Razr M and you couldn't uninstall the facebook app, just disable it, it took up loads of memory and was always running. I have a nexus 6p now, but I only use the facebook mobile site (which I great!) to access FB.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4 sweep  Moderator

Removed my facebook account 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Ignorance is bliss.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Nice try, nerd! But it'll take more than that to get me off Facebook!

Seriously though, this reminds me of how I had a bunch of friends say their phones got faster because they uninstalled tumblr. Apparently tumblr was permanently downloading every image it went through, so over time it just ate up space. Weird stuff, you'd figure facebook would have it's mobile act together.

sentrygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I uninstalled mine after realizing just how badly it was tearing apart my battery life. It just isn't worth it, that thing is either an unoptimized train wreck, an intentional memory hog, or both.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, I had to uninstall the Kindle app since my phone kept randomly rebooting. I'll uninstall the FB messenger and the page manager thing since they're just taking up unneeded space.

Avatar image for i_speel_my_dreenk
    I_speel_my_dreenk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By I_speel_my_dreenk

After three years with my HTC One m7, I figured that software updates must be finally catching up with the older hardware, causing it to be bogged down - even though that's fairly ridiculous, it was the only thing that really came to mind. Uninstalling the Facebook/Messenger apps instantly made things ten times quicker and snappier. I never even use it. What the fuck. Thanks, duder!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Or you could always get an iPhone. ;)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Time for FB messenger app to die. Bye bye silly thing

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sogeman

It doesn't seem to do that on my phone but I also have a oneplus one which has some privacy settings. I basically told all apps to don't even think about waking up the phone or using anything in the background without asking first.

Maybe I should try it on my tablet when it gets super slow again but that thing is also old so it's always slow.

I had to disable auto updates because it was unusable while apps updated.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After three years with my HTC One m7, I figured that software updates must be finally catching up with the older hardware, causing it to be bogged down - even though that's fairly ridiculous, it was the only thing that really came to mind. Uninstalling the Facebook/Messenger apps instantly made things ten times quicker and snappier. I never even use it. What the fuck. Thanks, duder!

Yeah! I really wish I had tried this a long time ago. Huge difference for me.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Zuckerberg hates him!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

This is the last push I needed to finally uninstall the Messenger app too. I've read about how it tracks all your touches constantly just for their own R&D purposes, which is pretty ridiculous but I needed the app at the time. Thanks Rorie.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Coincidence that you brought this up Matt. A family members phone had recently been drained from battery life less than half a day. Tried disabling the Facebook app several times but it would always come back. So far its stayed down.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Weird, I've had the Facebook messenger app installed forever and never had problems with my phone or the app. I have a Moto G. -shrug-

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried out using the mobile site on Firefox Android and yeah, that works so much faster than the app. Also Facebook app and Messenger require ~400Mb of space (290Mb+110Mb), which is insane when you consider that browser requires ~70Mb while offering more functionality and better experience.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is actually kinda of alarming. I'm glad I never used them, but I will be sure to pass it along. Thanks Rorie!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. I dumped it and messenger last year for similar reasons. That and I get tracked enough through Google and Microsoft already. I don't need another faceless (HaHA!) corporation foisting custom tailored ads upon me.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having Greenify hibernate the apps definitely save my battery life.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my old phones had an internal memory of about 700mb, Facebook took up about 300 of that and couldn't be uninstalled or moved to external storage.

I've preferred bloatfree phones for this reason. I've purchased a Wileyfox Swift which is a neat little phone running CyanogenMod, its like a lower spec OnePlusOne.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Discovered it myself a few months back. Like @rorie said. It was like having a new phone. On my phone, HTC One M8, the apps also caused major heat issues.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might just be a Nexus problem. I haven't experiences any weirdness on my S6 or S7 Edge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c689a848caab
    deactivated-5c689a848caab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying this out right now.
    Honestly, I think this'll be more healthy for my well-being in the long-run.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mak_wikus

I deleted the Facebook app last week. For some reason everytime it was updating my phone would slow down to a crawl and seemed like it was just about to crash. Plus it was over 400mb and I barely used it, so I pulled the trigger.

And now, after reading your post @rorie I deleted Messenger, since I barely used it too. And it's basically spyware. We'll see how the phone will behave without the Zuckerbloat.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By EarlessShrimp

If you're still a social media person and use android, grab Metal. It's much better on resources and battery life.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gerrid

I did this back when sites were running news on it and noticed an instant improvement in speed on my Z5, and an extra 10-15% battery life on what is already a pretty good battery. I was even getting fewer typing errors that must have been due to slowdown (definitely not my clumsy thumbs, no way)

I got Metal, which isn't perfect (the notifications are really inconsistent), but it works.

Recently though, I've noticed that familiar lag coming back. It seems to line up with installing the Amazon app's environment for its own apps, for amazon prime video. That app itself is good and I appreciate being able to download episodes of stuff, but I think it's gonna have to go.

JackColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had this suspicion for a while. Whenever my phone (Nexus 5X) bogged down real bad I'd start flicking apps off the task list, and occasionally Force Stopping through the app menu. Facebook always seemed to yield the most improvement when I killed it. Getting rid of both apps now, and good riddance.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't have the Facebook app, just Messenger, but there's been no issues for me on my Galaxy S6 Edge.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@rorie: I've been using Opera as my browser on Android. It had this cool Facebook integration that alerts you like the app. Try it out if you still want SOME Facebook on your phone still.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or you could always get an iPhone. ;)

I think Google would fire him.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I have a Nexus 5 and tried myself. Didn't really change anything that I can tell, but I use Nova Launcher so my UX is different from stock android.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this is why my wife's phone's battery has been taking a dive lately. I'll have to give a shot. Thanks!

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm new to Android (Galaxy S7 Edge represent) and now I'm paranoid about having Facebook installed. Thanks @rorie

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also uninstalled the Facebook app on my Galaxy S4 and also had better performance afterwards. If I feel the itch, I just visit the site in chrome. Also, uninstalling it got rid of the plethora of notification alerts which is nice.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

But Messenger is my go to app for chatting to people :(

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't notice anything as bad as Rorie is having on his Nexus with my Samsung, but it is worth investigating. The best way to check if an app or apps are slowing things down, is to start the phone in safe mode. Once in safe mode open your camera, browser, etc. If everything just works 2x or 3x faster as it is probably an app slowing you down. So then you should...well, the best advice is find a website that explains "How to Speed Up My Phone In 25 Easy Steps". There can be many issues, so you might as well be systematic about what you try.

I just checked my phone in 'safe mode' and the camera, e-mail, browser, and calendar work the same snappy way, so I think I am fine.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ten tricks to make your phone faster that lawmakers don't want you to know about!

SAVE $600 WITH THIS SIMPLE TIP!

Thanks for the heads up. Not a user of the social media stuff, but I have a coworker whose iPhone battery life went to crap after installing Messenger/Snap Chat. Every once in a while, I'll take a look at the applications and see what's using up CPU time/bandwidth. If something is suspect, it gets tossed out the window.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cooljammer00

So I gave deleting Facebook and Messenger a shot. I wouldn't say my phone feels brand new, but it's certainly a bit snappier than it has been in recent times.

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit. This totally worked for me. Now I don't have to go out and buy that new phone, and I can finally start weaning myself off facebook. Thanks!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Messenger is my go to app for chatting to people :(

Use What's App like most of us.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, @rorie! I'm perfectly fine ditching the Facebook app and that awful Messenger, and if that nets performance increases, all the better. Seriously, that Messenger doing an overlay on the entire phone is infuriating. Begone, evil spirit!

Other Android pro tips I've found:

1) Text input laggy? Delete your old text messages. Boy, this worked wonders for me on my Galaxy SIII. Enough old texts somehow hoses the entire keyboard's performance, even in web browsers as well. If you're anything like me, deleting old texts might not be the worst idea anyway.

2) Battery dies quickly? Anything rechargeable wears down over time. However, you aren't just stuck with a phone you have to keep plugged in all the time. Provided your phone has a replaceable battery, replace it! Anker makes OEM-caliber replacements that can be had for under $15 and delivered in 2 days via Amazon Prime. I replaced both the batteries on my S3 and the wife's S5 with great results both times. Highly recommend.

I've been able to hold onto a "dated" phone this long thanks largely to those two measures above. I'm excited to see if saying auf wiedersehen to the Facebook/Messenger helps as well. If nothing else, I enjoyed uninstalling them. :)

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I gave it a shot and deleted Facebook and Messenger from my phone. It certainly FEELS a bit snappier, so I'll say this was a success.

Now I just need to get a replacement battery for my phone anyway. This Galaxy S4 is looking a bit long in the tooth, and the fact that the battery dies really fast isn't helping. Probably should have gotten a new one before PAX, but Amazon had a bunch of generic batteries I saw that had bad reviews and cries of fraud/shoddy production.

@notnert427 you say Anker is pretty good?

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ughhh, dammit. I uninstalled the Facebook app ages ago when they stopped supporting my device, but losing Messenger is going to be tough. It's the main way everyone in my group of friends communicates.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done this for a few years when I had an Android phone, and even now with my iPhone.

The web version of Facebook is better and you don't need to worry about battery drain :).

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Removing Facebook app didn't noticeably improve things for me, but the website notifications totally work and the website is better than the app so I'm glad did it.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00: Yep. Cheap and awesome. Popped in Anker batteries in an S3 and S5, and they're like whole new phones.

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Facebook has been exploded from the phone.

For some reason, the Twitter app came standard with my phone HTC One M9. I cannot uninstall Twitter. It's the worst thing about my phone.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By superslidetail

I noticed this issue on my Nexus 6 with the Facebook Messenger App to. I uninstalled that POS immediately and it's back to normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.