Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Android

Platform »

Google's mobile OS, available across multiple devices.

Looking for a good 2D, turn based ANDR game.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I have been checking the games that are available and they all look awful.

I have a tablet with a screen way bigger than the two screens of the DS put together, and probably more powerful, is there anything good available?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Aren't several of Spiderweb Software's games available on Android? I'm sure at least Avadon: The Black Fortress is. They're Ultima or Baldur's Gate style RPG's. Haven't played the android versions though, but I know I got Avadon for Android with one of the humble bundles long ago.

Isn't there an Android port of Battle for Wesnoth as well?

There's an upcoming port of the Battle Isle inspired Battle Worlds Kronos too, but it seems it won't be out until March.

FlaminB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By FlaminB

Does it have to be 2D? Great Little War Game and Great Big War Game are a lot like Advance Wars, but have 3D graphics. Some Worms games have been put out on Android, if that's your thing. Then there's stuff like Devil's Attorney, which isn't turn-based combat, per se, but is turn-based.

It would be nice to know what type of game you're looking for. Sci-fi, fantasy, military, etc.

Nothing I mentioned is free though. But some have free "Lite" versions.

Speaking of DS, DraStic and nds4droid are also available, but I'm not endorsing that sort of thing. >_>

Edit: Also, UniWar is pretty good.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Get Hoplite.

Thank me later.

In fact, don't even worry about it duder. It's my pleasure.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

what about Magic 2014

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Thank you all for your answers.

The last games I played on DS (I think the only games) were Luminous Arc and Puzzle Quest. I was hoping for something like that. I've just seen that Puzzle Quest 2 is available, but the reviews list many problems. Magic 2014 looks fine as well.

The 2D requirement is not crucial, but I don't like how games look on 3D. Huge polygons when it should look much better with pre-rendered images. I don't understand this trend with the 3DS either... the polygons look huge and ugly, from 2D it's a change for the worse.

It's still disappointing to compare this with the DS, and I have remembered that I was not able to finish Luminous Arc because I would fall asleep in the middle of a combat, so I may as well simply forget about all games in tablets.

Thank you again for all your answers.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@trylks said:

Thank you all for your answers.

The last games I played on DS (I think the only games) were Luminous Arc and Puzzle Quest. I was hoping for something like that. I've just seen that Puzzle Quest 2 is available, but the reviews list many problems. Magic 2014 looks fine as well.

The 2D requirement is not crucial, but I don't like how games look on 3D. Huge polygons when it should look much better with pre-rendered images. I don't understand this trend with the 3DS either... the polygons look huge and ugly, from 2D it's a change for the worse.

It's still disappointing to compare this with the DS, and I have remembered that I was not able to finish Luminous Arc because I would fall asleep in the middle of a combat, so I may as well simply forget about all games in tablets.

Thank you again for all your answers.

On the 3D thing I totally agree, not just on these less powerful platforms, but generally on PC as well. Since most strategy games use an fixed camera, they could get better looking prerendered graphics with lower hardware requirements instead of using all these polygonal assets.

The sprite based strategy games that were the norm up until 2002 or so still hold up better visually than polygonal games that are just a couple of years old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.