Rumour: Amazon developing game console

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

Sources have approached Game Informer with an interesting bit of news from one of the world's largest retailers. Amazon is developing an Android based console for release by the end of this year, most likely by Black Friday.

According to those we spoke with who have knowledge of the in-development hardware, Amazon will be leveraging the titles already available on its platform. Each day, the company offers one productivity or game app for free and stocks a healthy library for its own devices, like the Kindle Fire. The console will also have its own, dedicated controller.

We have reached out to Amazon for comment.

Developing...

Matt Bertz contributed to this report.

Game Informer: Amazon Developing Android Console For Release By End Of 2013

Lets count how many cheaper game console things are gonna have been out soon.

1. Google's Game console
  2. Ouya
  3. Madcatz: Project Mojo
  4. GameStick
  5. This here new Amazon thing
  6. Apple's apparent game console thing, that's probably like an Apple TV update at some point

So, alright. Which one would I buy?.. I dunno. Which one does a comics app for my TV? Alright, I'll take a comixology app please, and Game Informer subscription app. Cuz fuck it, why not... Please?

#2 Posted by GnomeonFire (694 posts) -

Ouya? this sounds like a great idea.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Eh. Let them waste their money if they want.

#4 Edited by 71Ranchero (2673 posts) -

I am also making my own game system.

#5 Edited by believer258 (11562 posts) -

I laughed a big hearty laugh. On the inside.

Amazon has a better chance of making a decent game console than the Ouya people did but I really doubt they're going to make anything worth buying. I mean, look, there's so much out there in terms of console video game entertainment, from used PS2's that still have easily accessible libraries to incoming brand-new consoles, that trying to compete with it is a fool's errand. There's no reason for an Android-based cheap home console to exist when that ground is so well covered by companies that know what they are doing and are much better at it, not to mention that entertainment has gotten a whole lot more personal in the past few years. Why hog the TV with Netflix and your comics app when everyone can have a small laptop or a cheaper tablet and get the same thing where they want it in the house and to themselves? And when many DVD/Blu-Ray players and TV's on the market already do Netflix, Youtube, etc? And when several different home consoles already play bigger, better, and more impressive games?

I just don't see where an Android home console fits under the TV. At this point, "functionality" is not something that we are hurting for in any of the devices striving for a place in our daily lives.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Cause it worked so well with Ouya.

#7 Edited by Pudge (861 posts) -

Project Mojo is an awesome name for a thing.

Also, Amazon is welcome to try, but considering the reaction to the Ouya from pretty much anyone, I don't see anyone getting excited about this. Playing games not designed for a controller on a controller is dumb, playing games designed for a controller on sub PS2 level hardware is also pretty dumb. If this is a sold piece of hardware, I might pick it up just to hack it into an emulation machine like I planned to do on the Ouya before it turned out to be a total shitshow, but the average consumer is probably just going to buy a 360 or a Wii if they want something for cheap.

#8 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

November seems like a great time to release another Ouya...

#9 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5127 posts) -

Apparently everybody's doing it these days. Back in my day, it used to mean something.

#10 Edited by Pudge (861 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

November seems like a great time to release another Ouya...

More like 4 Ouyas considering that the Google Console, Amazon's and that Mad Catz thing are all aiming for fall, Gamestick is coming out at the end of the month, and Apple is probably going to drop something too. It's basically the CD console/addon rush all over again.

#11 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

LOL. that's cute.

#12 Posted by ripelivejam (3459 posts) -

has amazon been considered a monopoly yet? i really think they should be.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

@ripelivejam: shhhhh... Same-day delivery is on the horizon, let them be.

#14 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Hey, another Android based console. Those have worked out so far.

#15 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2283 posts) -

Amazon's app selection is trash. I'm okay with Android based consoles but if Amazon is going to step into the ring they need to step their game up. Marcus, PSP.

#16 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Looks like Amazon is getting serious if this is true at all. ^^

#17 Posted by bigjeffrey (4707 posts) -
#18 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Eh. Let them waste their money if they want.

Dismissing a console before it exists? Sounds cool to me.

#19 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

Why hog the TV with Netflix and your comics app when everyone can have a small laptop or a cheaper tablet and get the same thing where they want it in the house and to themselves? And when many DVD/Blu-Ray players and TV's on the market already do Netflix, Youtube, etc? And when several different home consoles already play bigger, better, and more impressive games?

I just don't see where an Android home console fits under the TV. At this point, "functionality" is not something that we are hurting for in any of the devices striving for a place in our daily lives.

I dunno man. The first home console thing to feature a Comixology app will have a big boon on their hands. Whether that be Xbox, PS4, or an Android doo-hickey thing, I wanna read my New 52 comics on the big screen. If anything I like that its generally not as easy for me to break a "home-console" than it is to break a tablet of some sort. And iPad already does Retina resolution comics that are bigger file sizes. I don't know how much more they would need for a new ass HDTV these days, though.

And yo, games is good too. Schmups, runners, and everything else that fits in race-to-the-bottom pricing games are alright with me, too.

#20 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

I have no interest in Android games as is, so I'm even less interested in an Android-based console.

#21 Edited by myketuna (1644 posts) -

To be perfectly honest, I would just get one of these things so I could play emulators when I'm on vacation or something. Android games aren't that enthralling to me.

#22 Posted by Marokai (2785 posts) -

It's become abundantly obvious at this point that we've entered an era of everyone that is even remotely capable of producing a game console, producing a game console. The most frustrating part of this news is that Amazon should've just made a serious game console, which they are quite capable of doing well and distributing effectively, instead of jumping into what is quickly becoming a saturated market of me-too Set Top Box style miniconsoles.

#23 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1502 posts) -

At this point, Amazon's got a lot to prove with respect to Android. My understanding is that their Android tablets were, at best, pretty rough. Their Android apps, while functional, are often awkward. The Appstore app (which recently became available in Canada) feels like a sloppy, half-assed web app.

I get why they'd want to do something like this -- they've already invested in Android a lot, they already sell a lot of video games, and they control a lot of video game-buying mindshare -- it's the implementation that worries me. I assume this will be positioned as more of a general TV box (for, say, Amazon Prime streaming) than a dedicated gaming box, and in that case, maybe it being rough around the edges is less of a disastrous problem.

#24 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

Sounds like the app market will either crash or boom.

#25 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

I have no interest in Android games as is, so I'm even less interested in an Android-based console.

Android games are just iOS games, it's all the same touchscreen crap.

I think some people have it in their heads that Android games have to be inherently inferior when really it's just a matter of what platform developers choose to put their games on. (not saying you are one of those)

#26 Posted by Shortbreadtom (681 posts) -

Why are people deciding to announce and release consoles the same year as two of the three biggest console manufacturers are releasing new consoles?

Seems... foolish.

Also, consoles.

#27 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

As long as the credit I receive for pre-ordering games remains applicable to all gaming purchases rather than being locked down to their app store, I'm totally fine with this.

#28 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

No thanks. All this "Android-based console" shit sounds like some kind of cheap marketing ploy to take advantage of a holiday season where Xbox One and PS4 are going to be selling out regularly.

#29 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

big corporation whiling to spent millions in game development

gamers whine because.. anyway...

#30 Posted by EXTomar (4446 posts) -

Amazon making a console makes a lot more sense than Apple making a console. *shrug*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.