Samsung Galaxy S III

#1 Edited by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

Has anyone on Giant Bomb bought this phone recently? I picked up one a few days ago since it has released on the same day that I was eligible for my upgrade, and it's the best purchase I've ever made when it comes to phones. It's thin, lightweight, and sleek. Battery life is the best I've ever had. It lasts a full day through moderate-heavy use.

It runs on the new Snapdragon processor, and it shows because I've come across no lag whatsoever. It also helps that it has 2GB of RAM. I played Temple Run, Angry Birds Space, Minecraft: Pocket Edition, and Fruit Ninja with no problems at all. Here's a screenshot I took of a benchmark test with the phone using Neocore:

Please don't kill me.

If anyone likes to game on mobile phones, I recommend it in a heartbeat. If I had to give a flaw, it would be that it can get really hot if you use it for a long time, or if the display is left on. I'd say that happens around the half hour mark. That and Touchwiz is an okay, but not spectacular home UI. I'd replace that shit with something like Apex or Go Launcher.

So yeah, Galaxy S III, who has one?

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -

I have the International version. It is fantastic.

#3 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

It gets hot after half an hour? That actually sounds pretty shitty.

#4 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Well, I probably should have pointed out that I have been using it in the middle of the heat wave that has been going through the country the past week. So that could have contributed to the phone temperature. I think it would be fine as long as it's used in 15 minute bursts or if the brightness is set to low. I've had mines on high due to the glare that the sun provides.

#5 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

It runs on the new Snapdragon processor, and it shows because I've come across no lag whatsoever.

I do get confused when people say they are having lag on Android phones, my Nexus S is a single core phone running 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and there is no user interface lag on the homescreen whatsoever. It's as smooth as my iPad.

Will Smith of Tested talks about Android lag quite often and I just don't get how people are experiencing this on dual core or better phones. It's not like I'm unable to detect the lag, I have used other Android phones that exhibit the issue but damn, this Nexus S must just be one of a kind. Battery also lasts like 2 days with a lot of usage.

#6 Edited by Ben_H (3319 posts) -
@MideonNViscera said:

If you have a screen on full brightness, any modern phone (or things like the iPad) get quite hot. My Galaxy Nexus is exactly the same, if I have brightness on high and play a game it gets quite warm. When you should be concerned is if you are doing lightweight tasks and have low brightness and the device gets hot (like my old Galaxy S used to do). 

@Sooty  said: 

@Ace829 said:

It runs on the new Snapdragon processor, and it shows because I've come across no lag whatsoever.

I do get confused when people say they are having lag on Android phones, my Nexus S is a single core phone running 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and there is no user interface lag on the homescreen whatsoever. It's as smooth as my iPad.

Will Smith of Tested talks about Android lag quite often and I just don't get how people are experiencing this on dual core or better phones. It's not like I'm unable to detect the lag, I have used other Android phones that exhibit the issue but damn, this Nexus S must just be one of a kind. Battery also lasts like 2 days with a lot of usage.

There's definitely a huge difference with the Nexus devices on ICS. I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever on my Galaxy Nexus. It is as you put it, as smooth as my iPad as well. However, on my old Galaxy S using Touchwiz, there was significant noticeable lag.  I definitely think a major part of people's claims of lag is to do with the manufacturer skins and other crap they throw over top of Android. Some of them seem so unoptimized compared to stock Android. I do think Nexus phones should almost be considered a different experience than the other Android phones. Also, I get pretty good battery life out of my Nexus device too, I just use an application that controls when I have data on or not and it makes a substantial difference.
#7 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@MideonNViscera said:

If you have a screen on full brightness, any modern phone (or things like the iPad) get quite hot. My Galaxy Nexus is exactly the same, if I have brightness on high and play a game it gets quite warm. When you should be concerned is if you are doing lightweight tasks and have low brightness and the device gets hot (like my old Galaxy S used to do).

Well there you have it. I never use full brightness because of batteries.

#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Ace829 said:

The Nexus line is all Google. Phones from other manufacturers might have problems of their own due to the ways in which those manufacturers fuck things up. I haven't had many problems with the Galaxy S2, and I imagine the experience would be even better on a Nexus d3vice.

#9 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Im over my iPhone. A few months my contract runs out and I will either go Android or wait for WP8. I just hate how limited the App store is. Also battery life is terrible on iPhones, even had to install a better battery and thats not even much better. How long does the phone last on a binge session.

#10 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

Got one 2 days ago and it's amazing. I have never seen a phone move so damn fast. I came from the original Epic from 2+ years ago.

I was initially worried and actually held off on buying a new phone because I wanted a qwerty keyboard, but they are all but gone on any highend phone now, so I took a chance.

I love this thing -_-

#11 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Been looking at getting this. Glad to hear people like it.

Sucks the 64gb version doesn't seem to be available in the UK, and only vodafone have the 32gb version :/

#12 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@MegaMetaTurtle: If it's any consolation I think the Galaxy S III can hold 64 GB microSD cards, but I am not sure which version of the phone I saw that spec at. It could be only on a certain carrier or region.

#13 Posted by MB (12078 posts) -

I've been wanting one but I don't really see a reason to upgrade from my Galaxy S2 yet. It does everything and I've even got the Galaxy S3 S-Voice app running on it right now, along with 4.0.4 and a bunch of other stuff. I don't see how a phone could run any faster than mine already does given everything I've done to it, so as much as I want a new gadget, I'll just stick with the S2 for now.

I know Samsung needs to compete with the other device manufacturers but I'm still surprised the S3 came out as early as it did, it's not exactly a giant step up from the S2. I'll probably hold onto this phone for another year or so.

#14 Posted by JustinNotJason (422 posts) -

Verizon version is on preorder. Should be here within a week or so.

#15 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

After getting a Nexus phone I can never again get a modified version of Android. I especially hate Samsung's atrocious TouchWiz (which also sounds like a pedo magician).

#16 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

6 months till i get my upgrade! Hows the battery on the phone? I really hope its somewhat decent, my last phone was the HTC inspire and the battery sucked so much ass

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
Picked it up earlier today

Guy says it has to be charged for 12 hours for the first time but the manual says no such thing... The manual clearly says to "charge until it's full."

This is what I fucking hate about technology. From Apple to Nvidia to Samsung to LG, they just PUMP OUT EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS into our faces and nobody fucking knows how to actually handle them and give them longevity. Google says it needs to be charged for 6 hours. And 12 hours. And 48 hours. Just people posting fucking random numbers.

Maybe if I keep it charging for 12 straight hours it'll weaken the already full battery because thats 12 hours of having a full battery fucking plugged. Maybe if I unplug it earlier than 12 hours the battery won't go a full circle, whatever the fuck that means, and slowly lose life.

I'm really starting to hate this frantic unfocused iPhone Galaxy Nvidia GTX ASUS age of rapid expensive technological production and total fucking disorientation among the masses.

#18 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

I've had one for a little over a month, I honestly love this phone.

#19 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

Yeah, I've had one for a good few months now... it's an incredible piece of tech.

#20 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Picked it up earlier today

Guy says it has to be charged for 12 hours for the first time but the manual says no such thing... The manual clearly says to "charge until it's full."

This is what I fucking hate about technology. From Apple to Nvidia to Samsung to LG, they just PUMP OUT EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS into our faces and nobody fucking knows how to actually handle them and give them longevity. Google says it needs to be charged for 6 hours. And 12 hours. And 48 hours. Just people posting fucking random numbers.

Maybe if I keep it charging for 12 straight hours it'll weaken the already full battery because thats 12 hours of having a full battery fucking plugged. Maybe if I unplug it earlier than 12 hours the battery won't go a full circle, whatever the fuck that means, and slowly lose life.

I'm really starting to hate this frantic unfocused iPhone Galaxy Nvidia GTX ASUS age of rapid expensive technological production and total fucking disorientation among the masses.

some people are NEVER fucking happy

#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@doobie: ..You can be happy about good things while simultaneously being upset about their upsetting aspects, you're an intelligent human being with a sophisticated brain, not a cat that either purrs in happiness or expresses dissatisfaction.

Learn to praise great things while also criticizing their flaws.

#22 Posted by Marcsman (3126 posts) -

Done with droids. Joining the masses and moving on to the iPhone.

#23 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

Done with droids. Joining the masses and moving on to the iPhone.

Have fun with a solidly built machine, that has the shittiest most restrictive OS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.