Angry Birds Space: It's Awesome, Really

#1 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I get why we, as a community hate Angry Birds so much. The sequels are iterative. It makes a lot of money. It introduces plebs to games they can play on their phones.

But none of that's actually bad.

I'll be the first to tell you, I didn't really "get" the first round of Angry Birds games. It seemed to me that the object of the game was to find a weakness in a structure and throw birds at it until it collapses. Sure, it took a critical eye to see where you wanted to hit, but even if you didn't see it, you could pelt it with birds, restart, and aim one degree higher or lower. What's worse is, it actually felt that way to me. Like I was repetitiously throwing birds at this pig base to see what would happen if I aimed exactly right there.

Space is different though. Space is much more open-ended and puzzle-y. There are times when you're on a planet, and you could shoot straight towards the pigs, or shoot around the entire planet, or the moon or something. You can weave your way through planetoids and send pigs flying into the gravity wells, killing them. You can blow things to pieces and perforate the pigs in bomb bird-induced meteor shower. Honestly, it's glorious.

Also, it's a dollar. If you play it for like, ten minutes, you're already way ahead. Even if you're sour on the original Angry Birds like I was, even if you've never played it before, just give it a shot. It's actually pretty cool what Rovio did in this sequel.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

they just copied mario

#3 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

I'm playing it right now, it's really fun. I don't have anything against games like that but I don't expect a lot from them so right now it's a nice distraction.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Skald said:

Also, it's a dollar. If you play it for like, ten minutes, you're already way ahead.

Thats what a lot of people seem to forget, I here people saying that this is crap but really for a dollar most games are good.

#5 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -

Recycled IN SPACE!

#6 Posted by yoshisaur (2648 posts) -

Got it for my iPad and it's a lot of fun. People who hate Angry Birds are the same people who hate WoW without playing it; They just want to feel cool when it comes to something being mainstream and successful.

#7 Posted by AlmostSwedish (549 posts) -

I've heard this a lot. I didn't relly like the original either, but I might check this out someday.

#8 Posted by freewilly5 (64 posts) -

You wanna mix up your generic formula? Send your game to space! Works every time.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I didn't like the original Angry Birds, but since you said you didn't like that too, i'll give Space a try.

#10 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I love the gravity mechanics. Really adds a fun spin the the gameplay. (No pun intended)

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
A dollar. Ha! I wish it was a dollar. On Android they give us all the Angry Birds games free, but expect us to put up with ads that get in the way of gameplay, ads that you can't get rid of without turning on airplane mode or rooting the device. As intriguing as the gravity concept sounds, I just can't tolerate those kinds of ads. Giant Bomb recently convinced me to downlaod Bumbledore, the bee wizard game. Also free on Android, but it has less intrusive ads and you can pay to get rid of them. Makes it hard to go back to Angry Birds. Yes, I'm aware ad-free paid versions exist on the Amazon Appstore, but the Amazon Appstore only exists in the US. So to summarize: fuck Rovio.
#12 Posted by Kyodra (138 posts) -
@LordAndrew
A dollar. Ha! I wish it was a dollar. On Android they give us all the Angry Birds games free, but expect us to put up with ads that get in the way of gameplay, ads that you can't get rid of without turning on airplane mode or rooting the device. As intriguing as the gravity concept sounds, I just can't tolerate those kinds of ads. Giant Bomb recently convinced me to downlaod Bumbledore, the bee wizard game. Also free on Android, but it has less intrusive ads and you can pay to get rid of them. Makes it hard to go back to Angry Birds. Yes, I'm aware ad-free paid versions exist on the Amazon Appstore, but the Amazon Appstore only exists in the US. So to summarize: fuck Rovio.
Ad-free Angry Birds Space is available for a dollar on Android marketplace, at least where I live. It's the only one of the bunch available for purchase instead of being free with ads.
#13 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (329 posts) -

I never really got into Angry Birds. My friends really enjoyed it though.

#14 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@Kyodra: Guess it's not available in Canada then, which is pretty messed up. Those ads are awful.
#15 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

It does look pretty cool, but the PC version is like £5 (about $8). I'm not paying that much for an Angry Birds game. I'd spend a pound on it. But not a fiver.

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
#17 Posted by TruthTellah (8549 posts) -

Angry Birds Space is surprisingly good. I've really enjoyed it.

The only issue I've found is that the free version eats battery like crazy. I guess it's the constant ad pinging, but it'll take my phone down in a hour or so. I can do much more intensive RPGs for three hours on it, but that game will kill it quick. I wish there was a paid version for Android so I wouldn't have to put up with that nonsense. I'd pay a buck just to get rid of those obstructing ads and crazy battery eating.

#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@Skald: Well, I'll be damned. Space has a paid version on the Android Market. Didn't show up in the search for some reason. Thanks for the tip.
#19 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

I wish there was a paid version for Android so I wouldn't have to put up with that nonsense. I'd pay a buck just to get rid of those obstructing ads and crazy battery eating.

In case you missed my earlier post, this should probably work.

#20 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -

This is true. I hated the original game. Addicted to it for about an hour and then realized how broken and arbitrary the scoring system was.

They've made it much more transparent now and the 'physics' of the planets actually make the puzzles interesting. Pleasantly surprised.

#21 Edited by Hector (3356 posts) -

Angry Birds Space is great puzzle game. For any skeptic out there thinking this is just shovel ware or mainstream junk, I can assure you it's definitely not!

#22 Posted by TruthTellah (8549 posts) -

@Skald: Thanks! I'll see if it helps. :)

#23 Posted by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

I thought Angry Birds was boring as hell. It was good for a couple weeks as a game to play while at a restaurant waiting for my order to arrive. My friends and I would take turns passing my tablet around seeing who could get the best score.

But given any real gaming alternative, I would find something else to do.

Angry Birds in Space, though? ... has a little something to it that's ... just unpredictable and hilarious.

Example.

I was playing one of the opening puzzles that required me to take out a pig on the far side of the moon ( that in itself should be a selling point ... ). On my last bird, I was trying to use an asteroid/small moon's gravity to spin around a corner to hit the poor green bastard, and I missed. Instead of pulling around like I wanted, I bumped a small rock and was sent richocetting off along a really bad tragectory off into space. As I'm looking for the "restart" button I see my bird spin around the moon ... once ... twice ... and then take another odd kick up and then get caught in the gravity and pull back down.

Straight onto the pig's head.

Winning.

It may still only be a game I play when I have no other options ... but it'll be a fun way to pass the time.

#24 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Animasta said:

they just copied mario

fuckers

#25 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I hate Angry Birds.

I love Angry Birds Space.

#26 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -
@Animasta

they just copied mario

This made me laugh way more than it should've
#27 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

It's really just a neat physics engine more than a game.

#28 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

Got it for my iPad and it's a lot of fun. People who hate Angry Birds are the same people who hate WoW without playing it; They just want to feel cool when it comes to something being mainstream and successful.

No I just don't enjoy Angry Birds. I played it for like 10 minutes once and got bored of it, there's better games I would rather play on the go.

#29 Posted by Veektarius (4601 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

I didn't like Angry Birds.

I love Angry Birds Space.

#30 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

When it comes to the first Angry Birds, I really can't make up my mind about it; I hated how hit-or-miss the game got (even early on), but I still got hooked and couldn't stop playing it.

That being said, this game looks pretty cool. I guess I'll have to download it sometime!

#31 Posted by yoshisaur (2648 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@ccampb89 said:

No I just don't enjoy Angry Birds. I played it for like 10 minutes once and got bored of it, there's better games I would rather play on the go.

I don't recall saying it's impossible to not want to play Angry Birds, but simply that hatred is mis-construed as some form of independence from the game. You don't have to hate a game to not play it, which is what most people do anyway.

#32 Edited by Moncole (636 posts) -

I am playing it, its good but not great

Its a lot better than the original and the scoring system is better

#33 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

It's pretty good. Probably one of the better smartphone games I've played, but I still don't get why it's a phenomenon. It's cheap and quick, simple fun, so I understand how it got popular, but it's ability to stay with people and stake a legitimate claim in pop culture baffles me.

#34 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

I'm sure it's great, but I dont pay money for flash games.

#35 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

@freewilly5 said:

You wanna mix up your generic formula? Send your game to space! Works every time.

I'm waiting for inevitable the Zombie version.

#36 Posted by Slayeric (257 posts) -

I love all the amazing set ups the game has for awesome pig kills too. One had this weird structure floating in space with two or three pigs in it anchored to the ground with a few other pigs under neath the structure. At first I was like "well dud, hit the part that's holding the structure in place. What followed was a completely unprecedented chain reaction of awe inspiring pig death and structure's falling to the ground from space.

WORTH EVERY PENNY.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.