So this is a thing.

• 69 results
#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Angry Birds is trying ever so hard to stay in the public eye, with there recent release of Angry Birds HD they still remind people that there still there. Well today they have gone and announced the next game, Angry Birds Star Wars! It is going to be based around the Angry Birds Space game, but with the Angry Birds characters dressed up in Star Wars outfits and the planets from Star Wars. Along with this they also revealed a whole mess of merchandise, including Angry Birds Star Wars Jenga Death Star! They Rovio also came out and said that in total across all of the many franchises they have achieved 650 million downloads, thats a lot of Angry Birds!

If you think you've already seen all the Angry Birds brand extensions you're even likely to, you're wrong....

#2 Posted by peritus (1073 posts) -

Well with Star wars it should atleast improve right? :p More star wars is always good? ;-)

#3 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Angry Birds: fuckin Party Remix Edition 12 still makes more money than any other game on the app store, so it's not that they're TRYING SO HARD, it's just that they're still sitting on a gold mine, and it's success is out-lasting the depth of the idea.

When asked if Epic was done with Gears of War, Cliff Bleszinski said "If people stop buying it then we'll stop makin em."

#4 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

@peritus said:

Well with Star wars it should atleast improve right? :p More star wars is always good? ;-)

Worked for the three prequel movies and Clone Wars movie!

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Oh no... But I'm sure a million people would still get. They need to work on Bad Piggies though. That is a fun game but not enough levels.

#6 Posted by Rasmoss (481 posts) -

The two most overused franchises in existence together at last.

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -
@I_smell said:

When asked if Epic was done with Gears of War, Cliff Bleszinski said "If people stop buying it then we'll stop makin em."

Well, looks like he did stop making them? 

;)
#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -

Angry Birds is awesome. Star Wars is awesome. Therefore this is going to be awesome, right?

#9 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3828 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Unless this is based on Star Wars Episode I - III.

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Great two things I don't much care for together. I'd be more excited if it was Bad Piggies Star Wars.

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6164 posts) -

Just slap the name on anything and it sells

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

Angry Birds is awesome. Star Wars is awesome. Therefore this is going to be awesome, right?

And on the flip-side, Angry Birds sucks. Star Wars sucks. Therefore this is going to suck. RIGHT!? 

The more I dig into the extended Star Wars universe, the less I like it. Did you know that the canonical name of the material that Storm Trooper armor is made out if is called Plastoid. Fuckin' Plastoid, man. I hate that they try to work their cheap-looking plastic prop armor into the fiction. Anyway, if it's not A New Hope, or The Empire Strikes Back, it's garbage (in my book, even though I shouldn't have to acknowledge this, yes, I'm aware that this is just my opinion).
#13 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Star wars was just a way for George Lucas to come to terms with wanting to bang his sister. The prequels are just him being Pervy over 16 year olds.

#14 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6164 posts) -

Star Wars Dishonored, Star Wars X COM, Star Wars Borderlands 2, Star Wars of Duty; all would have sold better!

#15 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I have never played Angry Birds, and the more of this I see, the more opposed I am to playing it for mostly stupid reasons.

#16 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -

Yes, this is a thing. And it does not affect anyone's personal life in the least. So why whine about it? Just let it be, and play good video games. My girlfriend will probably be crazy about this, and bless her for it. Gives me time to play Dishonored and AC3.

#17 Posted by peritus (1073 posts) -

@Daneian said:

@peritus said:

Worked for the three prequel movies and Clone Wars movie!

Haha, exactly! :p

#18 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Anyway, if it's not A New Hope, or The Empire Strikes Back, it's garbage (in my book, even though I shouldn't have to acknowledge this, yes, I'm aware that this is just my opinion).

Not a fan of the Ewoks?

#19 Posted by Iodine (550 posts) -

Damn those people for trying to make money on an IP in an environment that historically has a small long term success rate!

#20 Posted by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -

@BoG said:

I have never played Angry Birds, and the more of this I see, the more opposed I am to playing it for mostly stupid reasons.

Angry Birds is fun. It's simple, easy, yet has surprising depth. You can play the original game for free in chrome (and presumably any HTML5 browser) at http://chrome.angrybirds.com/. It's a fun little timewaster. Nothing in depth. Nothing particularly original, either. But it's a well designed, fun timewaster.

#21 Edited by Snail (8662 posts) -

Angry Birds is so overrated. Fun, sure. Not the most fun you can get from the App Store though. Not by a longshot (no pun intended).

I probably wouldn't mind this as much if the Star Wars franchise hadn't been abused in so many different ways. I just feel like this is kinda lame, but it's yet another thing that's kind of lame. I just don't see how Angry Birds can become better by abusing Star Wars soundboards.

#22 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@BoG said:

Angry Birds is fun. It's simple, easy, yet has surprising depth. You can play the original game for free in chrome (and presumably any HTML5 browser) at http://chrome.angrybirds.com/. It's a fun little timewaster. Nothing in depth. Nothing particularly original, either. But it's a well designed, fun timewaster.

It's free on my Android, too. Maybe someday.

#23 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Rasmoss said:

The two most overused franchises in existence together at last.

#24 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@BoG said:

wat?

#25 Posted by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -

@Landon said:

@MattyFTM said:

@BoG said:

wat?

It made sense in my mind.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@Landon said:

@MattyFTM said:

@BoG said:

wat?

It made sense in my mind.

Ya dun goofed Matty. Anyway, this Angry Birds: Star Wars is definitely a thing.

#27 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4500 posts) -

Great

#28 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

We are just one step closer to seeing Lego: Angry Birds: Star Wars.

#29 Posted by csl316 (9515 posts) -

Thank god you hid that spoiler.

#30 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

I'd buy that for $0.99!

#31 Posted by NegativeCero (3041 posts) -

I assume one level will be dropping a thing into the Death Star. If not, they fucked up. That is the extent of my Angry Birds knowledge: dropping shit onto things to make the collapse.

#32 Posted by SuperSambo (2887 posts) -

Meh, I got bored during the first one, but if people like playing it then this is only a good thing right?

#33 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Dalai

We are just one step closer to seeing Lego: Angry Birds: Star Wars.

Fuck.
#34 Edited by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

You know what? This is a complete abomination, but I have to admit, the guy who came up with the designs of the characters/birds/what-ever-the-fuck-they-are did a pretty nice job of merging the two things together.

#35 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

This is dumb.

#36 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

I hate Angry Birds. I hate the gameplay and I hate how much money Rovio has made from a game with such simple gameplay.

#37 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

In case you were still deluded that the Star Wars Franchise could be salvaged.

This.

sigh.

#38 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

I hate Angry Birds. I hate the gameplay and I hate how much money Rovio has made from a game with such simple gameplay.

Get over it. It's fine

#39 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Ehh, I really have no opinion on this.

#40 Posted by Brendan (8168 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Get over it. It's fine

Yeah, this is the unfortunate side of nerdism. Awkwardly hating on things that don't really deserve it.

#41 Posted by onarum (2304 posts) -

Man.. I must start looking at free flash games to ripoff and make tons of cash, it worked for Rovio, why shouldn't it work for me?

#42 Posted by Sanity (1951 posts) -

Honestly i like angry birds, im not putting it up there for game of the year or anything but its clever and is a good time kill. Most people hate on it because its "mainstream". Its damn well more interesting then most the trash on the appstore.

#43 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

Angry Birds is fine. It's not hip to like it anymore though, so HYPE AVERSION is in full effect.

But I had my fill of it with the first game, haha. If I'm on the go and have a moment to play something, I'm more inclined to whip out my DS.

#44 Posted by Butler (392 posts) -

It's as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

#45 Edited by Wampa1 (746 posts) -

That about covers it.

#46 Posted by dudeglove (8308 posts) -

What happened to the film adaptation idea?

#47 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3248 posts) -

The art looks pretty fun.

#48 Posted by sunitalee (6 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Oh no... But I'm sure a million people would still get. They need to work on Bad Piggies though. That is a fun game but not enough levels.

yeah.a lot of people will play it.

#49 Posted by gameseeker (2 posts) -

Also, don't forget that these games are actually much easier to create than games for consoles like Halo for example. Rovio is probably more profitable than Nintendo (bearing in mind the companies' size)

#50 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@I_smell said:

Well, looks like he did stop making them? ;)

no he didnt they are making a 4th one right now. thats gonna be about baird. true story. and ill probably be buying it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.