How to get the Best Buy items without going to Best Buy

#1 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

Today, I was passing by the downtown Toronto Best Buy and figured "hey, wasn't there some Best Buy Animal Crossing item?". 15 minutes later, after realizing that the Animal Crossing page in the Nintendo Zone app did nothing despite saying "click here to get the item" (why?), after having the game hang multiple times while trying to access the item at the post office because the connection sucked, and after generally looking like a shoplifter/vagrant, I googled the promotion and discovered a simple workaround. Here's everything you need to do:

1. Change your router SSID to "Bestbuy", or easier yet, set up a "Bestbuy" access point on your phone.
  2. Set it up as a connection, and make sure it works. In theory, I don't think this should be necessary -- you'll notice the Nintendo Zone icon lighting up regardless of whether it's a saved connection, though this might require open security on the connection -- but I couldn't get Animal Crossing to acknowledge the item unless the connection was saved. As @itwongo points out, if you're using your phone and you're at home, you should break your home connection in some way to make sure the 3DS connects to the fake "Bestbuy" connection (I added a character to the SSID).
  3. (Re)start Animal Crossing, head to the post office, and ask the attendant about presents. She should hand you the item, which until the end of the month is the Racoon Clock.
  4. (Restore your old router settings and fix your default 3DS connection if you broke it.)

Enjoy, especially if you don't live somewhere where Best Buy exists! If you're going to go through a bunch of hassle for a dumb virtual item, at least you can do it without needing to leave your home.

Here's the full list of items:

06/16 - 06/29: Racoon Wall-clock
06/30 - 07/13: Cat tower
07/14 - 07/27: Suitcase
07/28 - 08/10: Double neck guitar

#2 Edited by Itwongo (1183 posts) -

Couldn't get it at first because it kept defaulting to my main router instead of my hotspot. Messin' with the SSID fixed it.

Thanks for the tip!

#3 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

@itwongo said:

Couldn't get it at first because it kept defaulting to my main router instead of my hotspot. Messin' with the SSID fixed it.

Thanks for the tip!

Oh right, I totally forgot to add that! I temporarily added a character to the SSID of my existing connection to force it to connect to "Bestbuy" instead.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Did this through my iPhone 5's Hotspot feature and it worked. Did rename my phone Bestbuy and I did keep the Password on it.

#5 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

Thanks a lot, duder! I just did this using my iPhone too. :)

#6 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3204 posts) -

Another dagger through the Big Blue's heart. Good job!

#7 Edited by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

I will try this, and according to this website there are more so I set reminders in my phone for the dates to rename my hotspot to best buy.

Edit: Can't get it to work here in the UK. Should have expected that.

#8 Edited by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

@grantheaslip: You should add the dates for the different items to the original post.

#9 Edited by Asger (195 posts) -

Tried with the iPhone first. Didn't work. Now I have changed my SSID on my Airport. There's no other internet it can connect to.

I have to add Bestbuy as a new connection in the 3DS settings, right?

Edit: "Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later.
Error code: 004-3003

#10 Posted by JessicaaGoldBurst (34 posts) -

Oh wow, this really works. That's crazy. Thanks!

#11 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

@alistercat said:

@grantheaslip: You should add the dates for the different items to the original post.

Good point -- done. I also removed the disclaimer about encryption since @jjor64 confirmed it doesn't matter.

Nintendo just shared the original Project Hyrule link on the AC:NL Facebook page (weird, right?), so we've got semi-official blessing.

@asger said:

Tried with the iPhone first. Didn't work. Now I have changed my SSID on my Airport. There's no other internet it can connect to.

Did the 3DS connection test pass, and did you name the connection exactly "Bestbuy"? That's all I can think of.

#12 Posted by Asger (195 posts) -

The connection passed. I also got the Nintendo Zone app for the first time ever and it said Streetpassing at the top of the screen. You guys that got it to work, what country?

#13 Posted by xSeanZx (188 posts) -

Another dagger through the Big Blue's heart. Good job!

Lol so sad....

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

@asger said:

I got that too. I could connect to all the things that needed the internet but in the nintendo app and when trying to get the gift I got that error so the connection is working but it isn't allowing it to go through as a nintendo zone location I'm guessing.

#15 Posted by Asger (195 posts) -

Is there a way to make it believe I'm in America?

#16 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Before entering the thread I thought to myself "Is the trick where you would rename your router's SSID?"

Yup.

#17 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

@asger said:

The connection passed. I also got the Nintendo Zone app for the first time ever and it said Streetpassing at the top of the screen. You guys that got it to work, what country?

I'm in Ontario, Canada, and I assume it works across the USA. The guy on the Project Hyrule post said he was in Quebec, who don't get access to a lot of promotions like this because of government regulations. I'm moving to Montreal in a couple of weeks, so this will be my only option at that point. It would make some degree of sense if this only worked in countries where Best Buy does business, which as far as I know means the USA and Canada.

I don't think the Streetpass wireless status is a good sign -- if memory serves, that just means it's not connected to Wi-Fi, which seems like a bad thing in this case.

#18 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I actually went to Best Buy on Sunday and it didn't work. Now I don't even have to leave the house.

#19 Posted by D8K (15 posts) -

Awesome, it worked. Thanks for the tip.

#20 Posted by ToastyFrog (1 posts) -

In case anyone was wondering, I had to turn off all security to get this to work. Originally I had no broadcast and WPA2 and couldn't get it to work. Also tried just WPA2 with broadcast and that also failed. Did not test WEP security.

I got it to work after I turned on broadcast SSID, turned off WPA2, and used MAC filtering as the only security (with "Bestbuy" as SSID of course).

#21 Posted by subtek (60 posts) -

I wonder if this could work for the Japanese 7-11 items?

#22 Posted by SamuraiGarrin (75 posts) -

I got this game a few days ago, so unfortunately I missed out on the first two items. (I was able to get the suitcase using this trick, though.) Does anyone know if changing the in-game date to a few weeks ago will work for getting the two I missed? Is it even possible to set the date to before the town existed? I don't want to mess around with date changing unless I know it'll work.

#23 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@samuraigarrin: The previous items can be purchased if they are in your catalog, so you could also find someone who has them and catalog them by picking them up and dropping them.

#24 Posted by SamuraiGarrin (75 posts) -

@sergio: Ah, cool. Now I just need to find someone willing to temporarily trade me their items.

#25 Posted by Nezza (351 posts) -

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but European players are able to get items by changing their SSID to "_The Cloud".

The current item is a white police hat.

#26 Edited by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@samuraigarrin: What are the turnips at in your town? Might be able to make a deal.

#27 Posted by SamuraiGarrin (75 posts) -

Anyone wanna let me catalog their raccoon clock and cat tower? I'd be very grateful!

#28 Posted by SweetCrys (26 posts) -

I couldnt get mine to work. ;__; and I think theres a afternoon tea set. i want it! ;__; even tried it on android hotspot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.