Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Animal Crossing

Franchise »

Nintendo's popular open-ended series of life simulation games with cute anthropomorphized animals.

Animal Crossing - Is there a reason to upgrade?

novarichrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've seen several different version of Animal Crossing but from the images, they all look the same. What improvements have been make from say the DS version to the current or upcoming version? Which is better?

Avatar image for supersolidsnake2019
    SuperSolidSnake2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They are very similar. I have played the DS version and got the 3DS game New Leaf not that long ago. It's not drastically different and I am not hooked on the game like some of the people I have heard about. Maybe I just feel too old to get into it now.

The appeal is the effect that the world has which is unique as it takes each day in real time and holidays and other events make it into the game keeping it fresh. You are reminded by things in real life that they are also 'happening' in Animal Crossing. That is sort of a reason to check in.

Basically you spend your time fishing, collecting, talking to villagers, improving your town by upgrading homes/shops/building bridges etc. A lot of which has been in the previous games. You can visit an Island in this one and view house designs at the gate of your town after playing your town for a while. You now make changes to the town as you have been given the role as Mayor.

I will switch it on from time to time to see what is going on but I don't see myself playing it all the time. I played it everyday for a week but then stopped. I ended up spending all my time trying to raise enough bells(money) to keep upgrading my house and other things such as building a bridge. The bells needed grew and I would run about shaking trees, digging and fishing but wasn't really enjoying it anymore. I was just trying to reach the next target, for the next upgrade. I think that put me off.

I will return for Halloween and Christmas to see what's occurring though!

*I wouldn't say the new game does much that the old didn't. It's like Mario Kart, they might change the track layout but ultimately it's still Mario Kart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.