Anvil is a port city located on the Abecean Sea. The city is connected to the Imperial City by the Gold Road, which runs southwest through Skingrad and Kvatch. The city itself is home to 70 NPC's including a host of guards led by an Imperial named Langley. Millona Umbranox is the countess of Anvil; her husband Corvus Umbranox has been missing for many years. Anvil is home of the Great Chapel of Dibella, which contains 3 priests. The city also is home to Hauls-Ropes-Faster, the expert trainer in Athletics. M'aiq the Liar will make his way between Leyawiin, Anvil, and Bravil. It is possible to spot the rare Khajiitr outside the entrance of Anvil.
Anvil started out as a small settlement of huts that harbored pirates, thieves and criminals. During Camoran Usurper's invasion of Tamriel Anvil was let unattended and illegal activities flourished. It is during this period in time that the pirate Captain Torradan ap Dugal became famous. He was able to organize the Anvil pirates and form the Red Sabre with only one goal in mind; dominate the trade routes and supply lines between Hammerfell, the Summerset Isles, and Cyrodiil.
In 3E 267 after the defet of Camoran Usurper the Empire set a fleet of ships, under the command of Commodore Fasil Umbranox, to disband the Red Sabre. Fasil Umbranox was able to to kill and capture most of the Red Sabre pirates and force a showdown with Captain Torradan ap Dugal and his infamous Black Flag ship. Fasil Umbranox, with the help of the Imperial Battlemages, was able to collapse the large stone outcropping that Dugal was hiding in. Dugal and his crew survived the collapse and where able to live for years in the cave that formed. As for Commodore Fasil Umbranox, he burned Anvil to the ground. The Empire gave him the title of Count of Anvil and he was given the necessary gold to re-build the city. He also built his castle right on top of the collapsed outcropping in which the Black Flag lay.
The follow districts are defined by Guide to Anvil
by Alessia Ottus.
- Chapelgate refers to the area right inside the Castle Gate. It contains the Chapel of Dibella, a courtyard to worship across the street from the Chapel, and a graveyard next to the courtyard. Between the Chapel and the wall is a statue of Dibella with a Foxglove plant at its base. Trevaia will sell Restoration spells inside the Chapel. There are also two rare books inside the Chapel: 2920, Frostfall (v10)
and The Adabal-a
- Guildgate is the area right inside the Main Gate. It contains a great tree in its center with the Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, Heinrich Oaken-Hull's House, Benirus Manor, and Morvayn's Peacemakers all circling the tree. To the side there is also a pond with a statue of a mermaid.
- Westgate is where the bulk of Anvil's citizens live. The homes are all large, two story buildings that are run down and starting to show their age; there is even an abandoned house.
- Harborside is the location of Anvil Docks. The area contains an inn and two stores, two ships docked at port and the famous Anvil Lighthouse.
- Castle Anvil is located outside the city on its own island. The castle is home to Countess Millona Umbranox. According to Alessia Ottus the Countess is well-loved by the people.
The following is a list of NPC's that call Anvil home:
Countess Millona Umbranox
Count Corvus Umbranox
Sten the Ugly
Imus the Dull
First Mate Filch
Newheim the Portly
Storn the Burly
Wilhelm the Worm
18.6% Bosmer (Wood Elves)
7.1% Dunmer (Dark Elves)
4.3% Altmer (High Elves)
2.9% Orsimer (Orc)
The Chapel of Dibella is attacked at the start of The Knights of the Nine
The Thieves Den download will place Dunbarrow Cove behind Anvil Castle. Here the player will be able to put together a pirate crew, trainers and merchants to aid them. The pirates are able to be sent to raid, returning in one week with loot. The download also adds over 45 new items and 15 new spells.