Anyone in the APB beta?

#1 Posted by Spiritof (2021 posts) -

Just curious.

I downloaded the client last night and played for a couple of hours. It isn't terrible by any stretch, and it actually looks quite nice, but the population on the west coast server was pretty anemic. I wouldn't mind hooking up with some GBers if you're out there.......

#2 Edited by EuanDewar (4758 posts) -

Wh-What? Is it back?

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Did the new guys making it take the great idea and turn it into something playable?

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:
" Wh-What? "
APB was supposed to relaunch or something, but free to play i think so i guess he's in the beta for that 
#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4758 posts) -
@AjayRaz: Who the fuck is handling damaged goods like that?
#6 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

I have a key but haven't gotten around to play it yet. is the lag still so bad that everyone drives like they are drunk?

#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:
" @AjayRaz: Who the fuck is handling damaged goods like that? "
GamersFirst
#8 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

I just stop playing the beta because the lag.
Fuck it.If they won't even try optimizing it, then fuck it.Other than that, it gets old pretty quick.

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" I have a key but haven't gotten around to play it yet. is the lag still so bad that everyone drives like they are drunk? "
I believe the delay in the driving got fixed before the game went under. So I hope it's not back again.
#10 Posted by Nux (2305 posts) -

I thought APB was dead.
#11 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -
@CL60: my only experience playing APB was in the pre-release(the first time) beta.
#12 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -

Man, I totally forgot this thing existed. I feel like the relaunch has been in beta forever.

#13 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4285 posts) -

I'm in the beta, but I don't play anymore. Just like the first time, this game got old quick. It's nice that it's free and all, but I don't I'll be spending anymore time with it.

#14 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -
@FirePrince said:
" I just stop playing the beta because the lag.Fuck it.If they won't even try optimizing it, then fuck it.Other than that, it gets old pretty quick. "
When was that? I only ask because they were having a really hard time getting hardware shipped so many players were on overseas servers. That is mostly fixed now.

As for the Beta, yes, I'm in it. I feel GamersFirst is trying to reverse the game. The shooting, driving, mission structure, progression, and everything besides the customization is being improved. The customization - my favorite part of the original - has been made more restrictive and now requires you to play the action districts to unlock everything besides the basic stuff you start with, which was not so before. The marketplace for selling your own designs and such is still fucked, so really you can only make money through missions. I'm not happy about it.
#15 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4632 posts) -

Have I gone back in time again?

#16 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

I have been playing the second APB beta for months. I stopped when Gears 3 beta came out.

That says it all, really.
#17 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

Been playing recently and its safe to say, its an improvement over the originally APB by an absolute mile. Anyone who wanted to play APB but didnt want to pay for it will be massively pleased. And it being F2P is the best decision ever. Its going to be a game you'll pick up and play for a few days a month because you'll hit a very certain mood. But in a similar fashion to the original, this is in no way an MMO that you'd play every day like WoW

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MysteriousFawx said:
" Been playing recently and its safe to say, its an improvement over the originally APB by an absolute mile. Anyone who wanted to play APB but didnt want to pay for it will be massively pleased. And it being F2P is the best decision ever. Its going to be a game you'll pick up and play for a few days a month because you'll hit a very certain mood. But in a similar fashion to the original, this is in no way an MMO that you'd play every day like WoW "
The first version was supposed to free to play then they slapped a fee. Then they slapped on in game advertising for the ingame voice chat. 
#19 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I signed up for the beta a while ago and I didn't realize it was out yet. I assumed I hadn't gotten a key, but I just checked my email and I got a key in February.

#20 Posted by proggykins (144 posts) -

I had a key in my junk mail for a while, but it got auto deleted. I was not that upset.

#21 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

It still suffers from the same problems as the original iteration of the game. Plenty of people online and the action can be as intense (and as frustrating) as before. 

APB Reloaded, indeed.

#22 Edited by Agent_Eli (136 posts) -

I'm playing it right now. I gotta say, it's pretty fun for a bit. But if you're thinking about jumping in you should know a couple things. As a new player, YOU WILL GET WRECKED. Anyone that's played longer than you will just be able to obliterate you when you're on your own. Do yourself a favor and team up with anyone else in-game and get a feel for the shooting so you get a fighting chance against more experienced players, and bonus points if your teammates and you have mics. Also, every car controls as if there was a drunk chimpanzee behind the wheel. Or at least most of the vehicles you steal/commandeer from the street feel that way to me. Stick with your default vehicle and learn how that controls and then figure out how the others feel. And figuring out what to do next to make your character better can be a pain in the ass. Best tip I can give for that is that just focus on maxing out your standing with each mission giver there is. When you're done with one, move on right to the next one. 

Yeah APB ain't for everyone. But I still think the core idea behind it is cool. My character name is AgentParagon. feel free to hit me up and lemme know you're from the GB boards.
Edit: I'm on the west coast NA server "colby"

#23 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

Oddly enough, I am literally at 99% on download, what server are you on?

#24 Edited by Agent_Eli (136 posts) -

I believe i'm on the west coast. lemme double check

EDIT: Yep, I double checked and I'm on COLBY

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.