APB is officially done

• 0 results
#1 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

The following message was posted in the official forums today:

APB has been a fantastic journey, but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone's best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close. It's been a pleasure working on APB and with all its players. Together we were building an absolutely amazing game, and for that, we thank you. You guys are awesome!

From all of the Realtime World staff we thank you for your continued support.

The servers are still up, so join the party and say goodbye!

- Ben 'APBMonkey' Bateman (Community Officer)

Is anyone surprised?
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Is it free to play till it closes?  

And not surprised at all.

#3 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Will Jeff be there for the end? Matrix Online style.

#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

hold on there shutting down the servers already?

#5 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

Sad, the game hasn 't even had a year under it's feet.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

I do like how they said they were building an absolutely amazing game, and not that they built an amazing game.

#7 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

Not like this.

#8 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

The problem with games like this is that no one wants to spend money on it unless they think it's going to be around for awhile. If no one puts their money into it, then it definitely won't e around for very long. The bad buzz, combined with mediocrity, completely killed it.

#9 Posted by Lukeweizer (2614 posts) -

ENDURANCE RUN

#10 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

For the money they spent, they could have made a GTA clone (or two) and still been in business. They could have done another Crackdown. What a waste. Is this the fastest a major MMO has gone bust?

#11 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (697 posts) -

Ex-developers of APB have come out and said that very early on project leaders were far too focused on customisation rather than the experience and I would have to agree with them on that.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I like how you can still order the game

#13 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6103 posts) -
@louiedog said:
"The problem with games like this is that no one wants to spend money on it unless they think it's going to be around for awhile. If no one puts their money into it, then it definitely won't e around for very long. The bad buzz, combined with mediocrity, completely killed it. "

That's pretty much the truth of it.  If you're going to develop something so heavily focused on a multiplayer experience, you'd better be bringing something that excels and rises above mediocre - or at the very least, build it upon a franchise or a name with a huge player base already slathering at the bit.  It's too bad, but honestly, that's game development for you. 
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

100 million dollars = APB's budget 

i have no words..

#15 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

This is why developers should stop with these garbage MMOs. They just fail and all that money they spent on it goes to waste, when they could have made a great single or multiplayer game that isn't an MMO.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

Wait, I think that's even less time than the Cities XL servers were up.  Is this a new MMO Fail Speed record?

#17 Posted by Legend (2652 posts) -
@Megalon said:
" Not like this. "
#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Looks like they even locked down the forums. 

#19 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Looks like they even locked down the forums.  "
Yeah, it's too bad. I was really hoping to read through the comments from angry subscribers.
#20 Posted by Hero_Swe (1115 posts) -

Not Like This Part Deux: Electric Boogaloo
#21 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I hope they add clothes and items to customize your character to look homeless. They're going to need it.

#22 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -

That was fast.

#23 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

From the get go, it seemed like a game designed by a marketing department.  Good riddance.

#24 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

It doesn't suprise me but it saddens me. I live not even 5 minutes away and I was walking by when I saw the lights from the Realtime Worlds sign go out for the first time since it opened. Such a waste really

#25 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" I like how you can still order the game "
want a real laugh? 

walmart is still trying to sell tabula rasa for damn near full price at a store. douche bags. 

on topic - i kinda figured this was gonna happen.. but holy hell that was fast. 
#26 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

From the beginning, you know the end.

#27 Posted by Chris2KLee (2331 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" This is why developers should stop with these garbage MMOs. They just fail and all that money they spent on it goes to waste, when they could have made a great single or multiplayer game that isn't an MMO. "
Yeah, but sooner or later someone looks at the money pile that is WoW and figures it's worth the risk (when it probably isn't). APB's subscription model killed it pretty much outright. Any chance the game had of getting traction was ripped away with it's cellphone "pay as you go plan" style. I could still see this get bought up at a bargain price by a Korean company and setup as free to play micro-transaction thing in a year or so. I still wouldn't play it.
#28 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" I like how you can still order the game "
I feel like I should make a sympathy purchase. But I won't.
#29 Edited by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

Would this be considered the new benchmark for failure?

I feel for the people that lost their jobs but at the same time I'm happy to see this fall on it's ass. Hopefully it will be a lesson to developers that if you make a mediocre product, don't try to get away with charging premium prices.

Who knows maybe they could've turned this thing around if they hadn't attached it to the most ridiculous pricing scheme I think I've ever seen.

#30 Posted by AndrewB (7512 posts) -

Going forward, every MMO will be built with a contingency plan. AKA: the Free to Play button. AKA: The Escape Plan.

#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" Would this be considered the new benchmark for failure? "
Very much so. 

@AndrewB said:
" Going forward, every MMO will be built with a contingency plan. AKA: the Free to Play button. AKA: The Escape Plan. "
Chances are they wasted so much money. They could not support free to play. 
#32 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

I like to blame EA. Ruiner of all MMOs. Well maybe not but they have horrible luck.
#33 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Good. The game was shit and they charge for no reason at all. Greedy business men making lazy products.

#34 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@baron_calamity said:
" I like to blame EA. Ruiner of all MMOs. Well maybe not but they have horrible luck. "
I do not think EA had much of a hand in this. The set up of the payment system was stupid. Among many other issues. Course also changing it to a paid game at the last moment does not help. 
#35 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

Never like this.

#36 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

People should adapt the Torchlight pipeline for MMOs. Say you're making an MMO, then make a singleplayer game prequel to the MMO, then make a direct sequel and don't talk about how they were gonna make an MMO, then not make an MMO.

#37 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Less than three months out in the wild and APB is already closing servers down? I'm shocked. Didn't expect this to happen, I figured someone somewhere would have picked this up or managed to sort out a deal to keep the game running. 

I feel for anyone who bought a copy, barely had any time to get their money's worth.

#38 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Is it free to play till it closes?   And not surprised at all. "
From what I understand, the servers are shut down already. 
#39 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

wow that was FAST

#40 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

They should do an endurance run like they did with the Matrix online.

#41 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Damn, that is disappointing. I thought that APB looked really fun, but now I find that even if I could experience the game it's probably better I didn't. It looked fun, and it seemed like something I'd enjoy. Turns out that it's now going to be something nobody can enjoy.

#42 Posted by Cyborgmatt (93 posts) -

Less than three months, wow that's got to be a new record.

#43 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@drhans said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" Is it free to play till it closes?   And not surprised at all. "
From what I understand, the servers are shut down already.  "
Yup. Looks like it. They announce it. Then slam down the off switch. I take that as meaning they are having big money issues. 
#44 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -
@Cube said:
" They should do an endurance run like they did with the Matrix online. "
I don't know if "APB" and "Endurance" really go together.
#45 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Pretty much. They might have even flipped that switch before the announcement. 

And, yeah, the rumor is that the game cost $100 million to make and only sold about 10,000 copies. 
#46 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @Cube said:
" They should do an endurance run like they did with the Matrix online. "
I don't know if "APB" and "Endurance" really go together. "
That's true, and it seems they shut down the servers already so...Way to not go out in style.
#47 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Legend said:
" @Megalon said:
" Not like this. "
"
Something tells me that these guys won't even have the creative spirit to end the servers in a cool way. Maybe they'll increase everyone's in-game money or something, but I doubt they'll make shit go all ape-shit like in Matrix Online. Either way, I'd like it if at least a couple of the guys sat around for the final hour of the servers or something.
#48 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

That is horrible. People payed $50 for less than a years worth of video game.

#49 Posted by TheMasterDS (2017 posts) -
@drhans: Sounds to me like it sold 9,000 too much. I guess the game has good customization, but it didn't look fun. Like, at all. In any way, shape or form. Most of it looked like the ultimate fetch quest and the rest looked like same shooting. 

I really don't understand the kind of person who looks at a game that's no fun to play and says "I'd like to buy that game, then pay 15 dollars a month for it" where games like TF2 are 20 dollars flat and can offer as much longevity, and are actually fun.
#50 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" @Legend said:
" @Megalon said:
" Not like this. "
"
Something tells me that these guys won't even have the creative spirit to end the servers in a cool way. Maybe they'll increase everyone's in-game money or something, but I doubt they'll make shit go all ape-shit like in Matrix Online. Either way, I'd like it if at least a couple of the guys sat around for the final hour of the servers or something. "
I am hearing the servers are all ready gone. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.