Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

APB: Reloaded - Such an unpopular gem

Atrithau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atrithau

Why did people give the original APB so much fucking crap? I don't know how many of you have tried Reloaded (same game, but it was bought off by a different company and made entirely free), since this game is a fucking blast. Seriously, the game has its problems, but it's in no way the stinking pile of shit most media websites have made it out to be. When people kept tugging on me to play it, I thought to myself that it must be horrible, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    The customization is probably the best I've seen in any video game; you can literally dye your clothes and cars in myriad ways, and make your own symbols (pretty complex system for a video game) and then apply them. I won't even get into how fun this game is in co-op. I mean, you can literally start the game up, make a character, and then start doing missions with one of your bros, since the entirety of the game is based on PvP, so you're pretty much facing an open-world matchmaking system without actively having to go back and forth to quest-givers, or whatever. The community is pretty good as well. Sure, a lot of the people playing it are just fucking around and trolling, but it's still a significant step-up from the disgusting player-base of something like World of Warcraft, and the general chats are pretty libertine.  
    Now, the game does have a fuckload of problems, I'm not saying it doesn't: the matchmaking can put you against unbeatable players, there's definitely an amount of hackers in the game, driving cars feels like sailing, there's not much else to do except grind in order to unlock clothes and weapons, and I can't really think of any reason to play after that, since the gameplay isn't really that outstanding. 

In fine, it's a pretty unique little game,which tried to merge GTA's gameplay with MMOs in a cool way. It has its faults, and it's definitely not worth the subscribtion they initially planned on - but it's seriously disheartening to see how nobody knows of this game, and how journalists trashed it to no end despite the fact that it actually tried doing something different.  
    Shame.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

Because in the end there are better 3rd person shooters multiplayer games you could waste your time with.

I'm glad you liked it, none of that game looks appealing to me. Please don't take it the wrong way.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

I somewhat agree. It is pretty fun to play with friends, though it can get a bit repetitive.

Atrithau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Atrithau
    @Doctorchimp said:
    Because in the end there are better 3rd person shooters multiplayer games you could waste your time with.  I'm glad you liked it, none of that game looks appealing to me. Please don't take it the wrong way.
    But this is free, and the customization plays a big part in it. Also, driving about and jumping onto buildings is pretty fun.  
    You can't compare it to something like Uncharted, that has refined controls while taking place in a small arena. 
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FirePrince

It's an MMO my computer can't run.And I have a decent rig.
    It expects you to sit through a fucking line just to play it now.
    Loading times are a joke.
    None of my friends have good enough PC's or laptops to play it.
    It lags.Dear god it lags.
    It gets repetitive 5 hours in, and no amount of customization saves it. 
    Gameplay is broken in a lot of ways.
    I know these things are partly because my PC is far from high-end, but if I can play the latest games 1980x1080 on relatively high settings, and the game is around 1 year old, we have a problem.

Atrithau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atrithau
    @FirePrince said:

It expects you to sit through a fucking line just to play it now. Loading times are a joke. None of my friends have good enough PC's or laptops to play it. It lags.Dear god it lags. It gets repetitive 5 hours in, and no amount of customization saves it. I know these things are partly because my PC is far from high-end, but if I can play the latest games 1980x1080 on relatively high settings, and the game is around 1 year old, we have a problem.

There are virtually no queues on some of the servers, and the game works fine for me and all of my buds. I'm also playing it on a laptop. Nor does it lag, generally speaking, unless you specifically go into some terribly overpopulated district which is bad for you to begin with.  I don't know when you played it, but everyone I know (even off other forums) have none of these issues. 
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By FirePrince
    @Atrithau said: 
    Personally, I've reached the general idea that the game hates me. 
    All these complaints came from me just recently playing some of it.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

The relaunch happened? Like, I can play it right now?

I'm not sure why I would.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

Ive put maybe 12 hours into it since its been in closed beta, its still very neat, very shallow, but neat. 

The customization is unmatched.

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mmzOne
    @Atrithau said:
    @FirePrince said:

It expects you to sit through a fucking line just to play it now. Loading times are a joke. None of my friends have good enough PC's or laptops to play it. It lags.Dear god it lags. It gets repetitive 5 hours in, and no amount of customization saves it. I know these things are partly because my PC is far from high-end, but if I can play the latest games 1980x1080 on relatively high settings, and the game is around 1 year old, we have a problem.

There are virtually no queues on some of the servers, and the game works fine for me and all of my buds. I'm also playing it on a laptop. Nor does it lag, generally speaking, unless you specifically go into some terribly overpopulated district which is bad for you to begin with.  I don't know when you played it, but everyone I know (even off other forums) have none of these issues. 
    While I agree most of your points on OP, I can also sign the problems said by fireprince. 

It seems that if you play on US servers you'r good to go, but euro servers just die when there's more than handfull of players.
    It's interesting to see my ping fluxuating from 60 to 180ms, and on social district it has went as high as 1800ms. That does wonders on ones gaming enjoyment.
    Even the devs know there's problems with eu servers, "The result was that between 16:00 and 22:00 CEST on the networking gear connected to Europe-1 and 2 (ie Patriot and Obeya) we saw several sporadic but big spikes of up to 40% packet loss during those hours." 
    Also the queue on eu can get a bit ridiculous on primetime. The longest line I've whitnessed was 70+ mins, I decided to play something else.
    Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agent_Eli

I Initially thought this game was a stinking pile of crap at some points. But I stuck with it for a while and I can totally vouch for this game to be cool. Sure it's a little rough around the edges but man when the core ideas all mesh together just right, APB provides an experience that can't really be matched by any other game, just for the shear fact that there really isn't any other game out there like it (save for CrimeCraft, but I don't know enough about it to say anything knowledgeable regarding it.)
    Also, I made my Character look like Agent York, my car to look like his squad car, and my theme to be an excerpt of "Life is Beautiful". The game got like ten times better when i did that.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are really selling it to me by saying the driving feels bad when about half of what you do in the game is drive.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ghostin

I played the FTP for about 8 hours all told, and my overwhelming thought after that time was to feel sorry for anyone that got this when it was a retail product.  The community seems pretty helpful from what I saw, but the shooting is unresponsive and the weapons sound terrible... Every mission plays out in one of 2 ways, every weapon is a rental, and the much lauded character creator is far more limited than i thought.   

I honestly had my eye on this when it was announced, I'm thankful I was steered away from buying it back then... it's implementation is terrible.

Atrithau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Atrithau
    @mmzOne: Hmm, I think you may be right about the European servers. I'm also European, but I started off on the American ones from the get go. 
    I think the worse thing is how the game fluctuates from being totally fine in general, to being completely broken for a few days after an update. 
    Just now they released an update that completely broke the game for everyone, and I think it was just so they could add in some guns or something. Good stuff.  

@President_Barackbar said:

You are really selling it to me by saying the driving feels bad when about half of what you do in the game is drive.

Pretty much. You get the hang of it eventually.  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Agent_Eli

Yeah I can't defend the driving %100 of the time, but I when you do get the hang of it, you can pull off some pretty impressive Tokyo Drift action across the city.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.