Realtime Worlds Shutting Down APB, And Soon

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Realtime Worlds' freefall after the June release of its MMO APB has been terrible to observe, and it appears as if the skeleton crew left in the studio after the reported mass layoffs won't even be able to keep the root of the studio's woes afloat long enough to recoup its costs. This afternoon, Realtime's Ben Bateman has announced the apparent immediate closure of APB via the game's official forums.

"APB has been a fantastic journey," he wrote, "but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone's best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close." 

Bateman didn't get specific as to when the MMO's servers would be shut down, but his encouragement to "join the party and say goodbye" certainly suggests that the time to flick a switch is nigh. 

As Joystiq points out, this sudden closure brings up a wee little issue for users who have money locked up in the MMO's zany Realtime Points system. Will they get refunds? Realtime didn't address this in the post that otherwise so graciously thanks its hardcore base for their devoted, but brief, support.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Realtime Worlds' freefall after the June release of its MMO APB has been terrible to observe, and it appears as if the skeleton crew left in the studio after the reported mass layoffs won't even be able to keep the root of the studio's woes afloat long enough to recoup its costs. This afternoon, Realtime's Ben Bateman has announced the apparent immediate closure of APB via the game's official forums.

"APB has been a fantastic journey," he wrote, "but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone's best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close." 

Bateman didn't get specific as to when the MMO's servers would be shut down, but his encouragement to "join the party and say goodbye" certainly suggests that the time to flick a switch is nigh. 

As Joystiq points out, this sudden closure brings up a wee little issue for users who have money locked up in the MMO's zany Realtime Points system. Will they get refunds? Realtime didn't address this in the post that otherwise so graciously thanks its hardcore base for their devoted, but brief, support.
#2 Posted by DaBuddaDa (290 posts) -

Disaster!

#3 Posted by Siffit (2 posts) -

Fast

#4 Posted by shawnyofthedead (46 posts) -

not suprising considering how broken it was

#5 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Called that one.

But I payed 50 bucks for this. So I guess I'm a sucker too.

#6 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

Woah that didn't last long!

#7 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Should have just made Crackdown 2.

#8 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

From what I heard. Servers are down by now. 

#9 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Less than 3 months after release and it's closing down. Astonishing. 

#10 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

Based on the Quick Look, I doubt there's going to be a GB farewell like they did with The Matrix Online.

#11 Posted by Mcfart (1610 posts) -

According to Twitter, the servers are going down tonight.

#12 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -

fail mmo is fail

#13 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

And they spent like 100 million making this game? What a f-ing waste of money. When I saw it for the first time I new it would suck but many people were excited about it. It was weird to me...

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Mcfart said:
" According to Twitter, the servers are going down tonight. "
Link? 
#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

Really surprising, only not. And quite pathetic - that game was announced a million years ago, now it's getting shut down after 3 months.

#16 Edited by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Wow. Figured it had at least a "good" few months left in, least to the end of the year.

Damn, 3 months.

#17 Edited by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

Not like this!

#18 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

What a tremendous failure that is. I feel bad for everyone that worked hard on the game. All those man hours wasted. What a shame.

#19 Posted by Milkman (16667 posts) -

Man, that is so bad it's almost impressive. 

#20 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -
@fedorajay said:
" Based on the Quick Look, I doubt there's going to be a GB farewell like they did with The Matrix Online. "
:( but but how can you send something of without mockery?
#21 Posted by Sil3n7 (1187 posts) -

The beta was busted to hell so no surprise here.

#22 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

Crimecraft outlasted APB... That says way more about APB then Crimecraft.

#23 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
" Should have just made Crackdown 2. "
Would have saved us from two terrible games!
#24 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

You can't convince me that nobody in that studio had any idea that this game was going to be a steaming pile of donkey crap.  This is what happens when guys can't let go.

#25 Posted by Sankis (64 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin said:
" @zombie2011 said:
Would have saved us from two terrible games! "
Why do you say that? You played Crackdown 1, didn't you?
#26 Posted by Davin (243 posts) -

This has to be one of the largest MMO failures ever in the history of gaming. It's unheard of for these games to die so soon.

#27 Posted by tenchim1a (12 posts) -

Even Hellgate lasted a year before the end.  This is sad for everybody involved.

#28 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:
" @fedorajay said:
" Based on the Quick Look, I doubt there's going to be a GB farewell like they did with The Matrix Online. "
:( but but how can you send something of without mockery? "
Oh, man, you have a point there. I kinda hope they will now, just to mess around in it. If it is indeed going down tonight, though, there might not be enough time to set everything up. :(
#29 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

They should have just stuck to making a new Crackdown.

#30 Posted by onimonkii (2434 posts) -

just sell the character creator for offline use like spore.

#31 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

hoooly shit this is sad. What a trainwreck this entire game's trajectory has been. $100 million and shut down within months... wow. I feel bad for all the people that used to work at RTW, I really think they tried to make a great game, it just didn't come together. Market reality's a bitch, I guess.

It's a spectacular failure, but it's also a bit sad.

#32 Posted by alternate (2696 posts) -

Shocking.  MMO devs should be forced to take out insurance so that if they go belly up the servers stay live for at least a year.  Even Hellgate London lasted longer.  If you bought APB you have the right to feel royally fucked by this.

#33 Posted by mikeeegeee (1554 posts) -

Amanda Matricks.

#34 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

o well.

#35 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@Sankis said:
" @SteamPunkJin said:
" @zombie2011 said:
Would have saved us from two terrible games! "
Why do you say that? You played Crackdown 1, didn't you? "
I did it, and at the time it was highly enjoyable. I honestly thing RealTime Worlds would have added something to Crackdown 2, and not in the superficial ways that Ruffian did - my understanding of the situation was that MS sat too long on the sequel and RTW was unavailable due to work on APB - thus Ruffian was formed and they cranked out Crackdown 2 in a matter os 18 or 24 months - really short Dev. time, which was one of their excuses for reusing Pacific City.  So, again I think that RTW would have added something more  and something significant had they been the ones working on Crackdown 2.
#36 Posted by Anatek (1 posts) -

The character creation was the coolest part of this game

#37 Posted by gexecuter (194 posts) -

I feel sorry for everyone that put money into APB.

#38 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

This has to be a new record for quickest MMO death right? Even Hellgate: London got a year of life.

#39 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

All I have to say is:  The King is dead, long live the King.

#40 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

y'know what? nooo sympathy from me at all.

#41 Posted by Ronald (1364 posts) -

And so ends the long reign of APB as the top MMO game out there. Let's remember way back to when the game first came out.

#42 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@Davin said:
" This has to be one of the largest MMO failures ever in the history of gaming. It's unheard of for these games to die so soon. "
Or perhaps they finally got smart and realized it was a lost cause and not to spend more money on something that will never recoup the costs.
#43 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

Sad but not unexpected.I hope they do something with the character customizer, that looked sick as hell.

#44 Posted by chogi (554 posts) -

so does this mean ryan is gonna play til the end like he did to matrix online?

#45 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Damn, this is mad depressing.

#46 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

Obviously...people should just stop trying to make MMOs

#47 Posted by Acornactivist (114 posts) -

i wanted this game to succeed to badly. Then it came out and I knew it was going to wither and die, but I wouldn't have guessed so soon. Is this some record or something? Even the Matrix Online lasted longer than this didn't it?

#48 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

The patch servers are already down, so at this point it's already dead.

#49 Posted by ultrapeanut (385 posts) -
@alternate said:
" Shocking.  MMO devs should be forced to take out insurance so that if they go belly up the servers stay live for at least a year.  Even Hellgate London lasted longer.  If you bought APB you have the right to feel royally fucked by this. "
I don't think this is even the point where APB buyers started to feel royally fucked by their purchase.
#50 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.