Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

This game is complete garbage...

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I have spent 26 hours with APB reloaded. Thats more than a day, time I can never get back. I try not to think about the time I spent with the original game. But now, I can honestly say without question that APB is a terrible game, and making it free has not made it any better. maybe the hours of playing this generally rotten game have fried the parts of my brain that see reason, maybe these points are all wrong, but I feel like anyone lured in by the hope of them fixing this game, needs to be warned.

The Good...

• Wait. I said this game was complete garbage, ergo, there is no good. Thats done then.
    • Ok fine...
    • Customization is extremely versatile, you can do anything, almost, but it is a little janky unless you spend alot of time doing it.
    • Cars kind of drive ok now. Kind of. They do have a tendency to stop moving when you hold down the forward key though.

The Bad...

• Its an MMO, and its a shooter. It has the lag and jank of an MMO but is meant to play like a precise shooter. What this really means is that the field of play is never really even for anyone, you'll find yourself being killed by what appeared to be one bullet (But was really a dozen on the shooters end.) or you'll sneak up on someone, lag and suddenly find they've turned around, aimed at you and dumped a full clip into you. The ping really wouldn't be that bad if they showed it to you (I wish they did.), but if you play alot of counterstrike, or Call of duty, you'd realize that even if your ping dips above even say, 100, things can be a little weird. Much of this could be atrributed to bad netcode, but it puts you in many situations in which you feel cheated. Which is my next bullet.
    • Every time you die you feel like the game is working against you. I died hundreds of times while playing APB, and to be honest very rarely did I feel like i died from a mistake I made. The gun that killed you would appear to take too few bullets, the sniper that killed you should not have been able to hit you behind that wall, the car that rammed you didn't even touch you, or the grenade that blew you up was well out of range. This plays back in to the feeling of constant lag, and I think its why I kept coming back, I felt as if I had been cheated out of this round, but that if I kept trying I would do better. I never did better.
    • Matchmaking is nonsense. This may be more of a reloaded problem, but the game tends to put even bronze threat level (Threat level is basically what level of player you are, based on recent performance.) members against wolf packs of Gold members, who are often the ones that have paid to buy the special guns, or the extra custom options, basically they're maniacs. I haven't yet encountered one who couldn't take down an entire opposing team of 6 players by himself if they wanted to. The disparity in skill between people like me and them is insane but they never play their own kind. They always come up against me. And while I might get lucky and receive one or two kills, they'll slaughter my teammates. In the same manner, team balance doesn't exist, even if your by yourself its not uncommon to be put up against 2 other higher threat players.
    • Shooting doesn't feel good. All the weapons are highly innaccurate, which should level the playing field, but instead it just makes some battles a question of who's Bullet innaccuracy will be more favorable. You often end up in a situation in which your pinned down by a sniper, with no chance of fighting back because your guns don't become more accurate no matter how you fire them, there is no burst fire, your first shot is as innaccurate as your last. The guns just don't feel reliable in anyway.
    • Missions are repetitive. There is very little variety to the mission types. You end up doing the same stuff over and over. If you play be prepared to spray stupid amounts of graffti and pour gasoline on alot of windows.
    • Draw distance, this game has an MMO's draw distance, so when a high notoriety criminal drives down the street to run away, they'll disappear half way down the road before popping back into reality when you get a little closer. Sniping is tricky because you can't gurantee that you'll be able to see your enemy let alone shoot them.
    • Alot of bugs are still in the game. I played in the closed beta of the original game, and one of the issues was that in the social district, most player models did not load in, this sucked because you couldn't see anyones hard work that they put into their characters. This still happens, and I have no idea why, Every player man or woman defaults to this gang-looking featureless male model, until you stare at them for 30 seconds and the game realizes your looking at them. The game also uses an excessive amount of memory, my relatively new computer slows to a stall if I am so bold as to try and exit out of the game, if I minimize it I might as well restart my computer.
    • Microtransactions continue to be insane. To buy a permanent Joker SR1 Carbine on the APB store, it would cost about 4,990 G1 Credits. That equates to about 60 bucks. I suppose TF2 sells hats for even more, but at least TF2 is a fun game with good mechanics where it can be fun to actually dress up your character.
    • I don't know what you would do after unlocking everything. Progression is only for items and mods, after that, theres nothing to do (But its free i guess so, whatever.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.