Man, whatever happened to Ape Escape?

#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Seriously, I loved that series unconditionally. It didn't deserve it, but at the same time no it still totally didn't deserve it but that isn't the point. 

Ape Quest came out on the PSN store and then some   japaense trailers  were floating around of a PSP game where you control the monkeys. And then of course there was the sequel to Pumped & Primed, I think it was called  Million Monkeys or something, that was only released in Japan and perhaps PAL territories if I remeber correctly. 

So, what happened? The series wasn't that popular, sure, but around eight seperate games came out and Sony still uses the Monkeys occasionallyin various images. So what the hell is going on?  

#2 Posted by AlexB (1023 posts) -

Snake killed all the apes...

#3 Posted by m1k3 (1325 posts) -

it got caught in the whirlpool with crash bandicoot and spyro the dragon.

#4 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Wasn't there a PSP version made a good while back?

#5 Posted by papercut (3449 posts) -

PSP and no second analog, thats what happened. 

#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Bucketdeth:
Ape Escape: On the Loose! was a remake of the original game for PSP that came out around its launch. 

I recall it playing fairly well despite what papercut says.
#7 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: I'll have to check it out, is it up on the PSN store?
#8 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Bucketdeth:
Indeed it is.
#9 Posted by papercut (3449 posts) -
 I remember getting really frustrated because of some of the platforming so beware 
#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@papercut: I remember the platforming in the first Ape Escape not being great in general. I really need to play it again. I'm pretty sure I sitll have my PS1 copy around here somewhere.
#11 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I loved the first Ape Escape, rebought the Japanese version on Japanese PSN (Saru Getchu)...  I'd love them to make another one like that, but I hear the series hasn't been so good since.  The last Ape Escape has you capturing monkey pants...

#12 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

I played Ape Escape 3, and it's pretty fun. It's more of the same, but if that's what you're looking for, then you'll like it.

#13 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

I remember playing this. You're right, it was pretty fun.

#14 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

it died along with spyro and crash 

#15 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" it died along with spyro and crash  "
Pretty much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.