Apotheon Preview at Gamasutra (gameplay + concept art)

#1 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3336 posts) -

Just tripped on this Apotheon article on my way to work. To quote our wiki page, this is the next game by "Canadian indie developer Alientrap". The art style, which is the focus of this article, is based on ancient Greek pottery. Though Alientrap isn't following all of the conventions of the medium (extremely limited colour palette and dimensions) to a T, it's certainly recognizable as such. There's some good food for thought in this piece -- Jesse McGibney, the game's artist and co-designer, talks at some length about the large number of ancient art styles that haven't been tapped yet for games, and also reveals a little of the game's design path. Sounds like it was nearly a Too Human of sorts.

Apotheon makes ancient art work in a modern game -- Eric Caoli

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180194/Apotheon_makes_ancient_art_work_in_a_modern_game.php#.UI_1K8WHLh4

#2 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3336 posts) -

Yo guys this game looks cool, doesn't it? :(

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Honestly, it looks a bit crap. The gameplay, not the art direction.

#4 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

I think it looks kinda neat.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

Looks like Outland, also based on primitive art.

#6 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

Reminds me of the art style in Rock of Ages. Of course, this looks far more serious and is not totally insane and absurd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.