Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apple Inc.

Company »

Apple Inc., originally Apple Computer, is a computer company founded in 1977 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Famous for creating and owning both the software and hardware of their computers, they pursued this strategy in other consumer products, with the most notable being the iPod and iPhone.

Apple's iPad: Still Not A Game Machine

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#151  Edited By AndrewB
    @Addfwyn said:
    " Imagine what a larger scale more powerful version of that can do.  or you can keep thinking up dumb names that make you feel clever.  That's fine too.   "
    Except, I think the big appeal of the iPhone is that it has all that power, and it's always with you. It's the compact size and jack-knife functionality as a one-two combo that make it essential for some people. Something like the iPad is not something you're going to be able to keep on your person at all times.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#152  Edited By Addfwyn
    @AndrewB:  

That's a reasonable criticism, I think if somebody has a smartphone, laptop AND a kindle already, it may not be a good device for them.  However, if you lack any of the combination of the 3, it starts to look a lot more appealing.  I'll have to reserve judgement until I can actually get to play with one in person at an apple store (anybody know if they are on display yet at the stores?)

I agree that it may not be for everybody, but I don't think that makes it an inherent failure as a device either.
    Avatar image for uselessninjaman
    UselessNinjaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By UselessNinjaMan

Yeeeah... I have to agree with Jeff here. Not sure where this fits into... well, anything, really. Considering what the price point is likely to be... thanks, but no thanks.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Addfwyn: 

If the device has no specific place in the market which it can get traction from then it's destined for failure.  Apple's leading products have rarely balanced on the bleeding edge as a means to commercial success.  There are of course some rare exceptions such as OS X (when it was first released) and multi-touch surfaces, but these too have been supported by other means of utility to be valued propositions.  Explain to me logically how a device which is built to compete with products from the same vendor, yet isn't as convenient (iPod, iPhone and Macbook Air which has a keyboard) as well as being built to compete with products from different vendors yet isn't as cheap or as functional (netbooks which support Flash and the Nook etc) will succeed.  It has to have a foothold somewhere to be a commercial success and it being an Apple product may certainly lead to some sales, but not in the number it will need to stay viable.  It's just not a relevant or necessary product at this time.  Thus I enjoy being able to poke fun at it.  Jobs is much like George Lucas, in that his pet ideas which he gets total control over are usually destined for failure.  Need I remind you of NeXT?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By TwoOneFive

i can see this being big with doctors, lawyers, businessman etc. its like an entire briefcase in your pocket... well not pocket, more like a man-purse. 

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By Getz
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @Getz:  Classy, when you can't refute arguments, call the guy you are discussing with names.  That always proves points. No, Apple did not invent the first tablet computer.  Guess what, the iPad is a unique device niche, because it can do things previous tablets cannot.  Previous tablets primarily were specialized devices geared mostly towards an artistic/creative crowd that needed something along the lines of a Wacom.  The first tablet PC required a stylus and basically attempted to be a PC with a pen-interface.  This is what some people here claim they want, but tablet PCs have never taken off as a significant market because there was just nothing significant about them. This is a wide-market consumer multimedia device with additional modular specialized options (represented via app store).    I don't really think calling it a tablet is an appropriate moniker anymore than calling it a netbook is.  It is capable of things that previous devices and tablet PCs are not.  It does not make the mistake previous tablets did of trying to be a PC with a touch-interface.  Because why would you want that when you can just have a PC?  Instead, it represents a new niche in the market. "
    I called you a jackass because that's what I call people who try to tell me I'm wrong without reading what I wrote. I mentioned that the iPad is less functional than most Tablets, and your response was "stop calling it a netbook!" Yes, I didn't really address your issue, mostly because I didn't think I needed to. But since you keep regurgitating the mantra "It does things previous devices cannot" ad nasuem, I'll bite. The examples you gave (being able to get aviation maps, being able to make notes, portability, etc) are all intrinsic to the tablet computer. Note: tablet computer in general, not Apple's. See, these functions have been around for years already in tablets offered by HP and Gateway. These things are why tablets exist in the first place. If you can offer up more unique features found on the iPad, I welcome you to share them (other than App store, which is a redundant idea) however from where I am standing there are none. Windows based tablet PCs, while certainly not as robust as home computers, have come a long way and offer up the same versatility with software as you probably understand comes with Windows. If you want to do something, like say look at a map, I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find a lack of adequate consummation.  Go online, download something, probably for free. 

However, with Apple's model, you have to rely on it being in the App store, being developed specifically for the iPad/iPhone. I do not see how this is preferable to anyone. You are basically stuck with whatever Apple wants you to have. It's not as easy for someone who wishes to make an application to get their stuff out there with Apple's closed OS as it is with an open, Windows based platform. The only reason anyone will ever buy this thing is because of the Apple brand, which has been associated with ease-of-use, stylishness, and simple elegant design and has never been associated with superior technological advances, open and friendly developer relationships, or superior functionality.  

I assumed that people have learned this by now: the iPod was not the first or the best MP3 player, the iPhone is not even CLOSE to the best smartphone or the first one, and this will be no different. I await your response
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Getz: 

Hell my 8 year old Toshiba Portege 3500 does all of those things, with the small exception of multitouch, it uses Windows XP, can play Flash AND it has a keyboard.  I love when Apple zealots jump up and down over yet another reinvented wheel as if it's a brand new idea.
    freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By freakin

tablets are one of those things that initially sounds cool, but ultimately is useless to the casual person.  Too big to take anywhere and too much of a downgrade from a laptop to be really that useful.  Plus there are laptops that can be converted into a tablet.  I've seen it marketed as a 'portable tv viewer', most likely for trips to the can.   I guess in this ADD generation that would be a selling point to someone. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Getz:  
    Thank you, much more reasonable, appreciated. 

Again, I'm not sure I agree that tablet computers can do everything this can, but that may just be a difference of opinion.  Again, tablet PCs have consistently attempted to emulate laptops or PCs, I have not seen one that has really built itself as its own device.  I could be wrong, but I've seen plenty of tablets, and they all seem to run in varying degrees between cintiq and laptop.  Yes, they were great for taking notes, but they couldn't be a textbook.  I'm not sure why the app store is a redundant idea, as that really is chiefly THE biggest factor in this device.  I'll bite though, what about the book reading functionality?  Not exactly something tablets have really approached in depth before, and it remains a powerful tool for education.  "Go online, download something, probably for free" is something that again, can go back to the App store.  It seems to frustrate you, but it's something I have to keep going back to, because it is really the selling point of the device.   I think I'd have almost no interest in the product without the power of the app store behind it, I certainly never bought an iPhone until the app store was launched.

Yes, you need to get your devices from the app store, but then you have a piece of software made for your device.  Sure, Apple could have given you something that would attempt to run that copy of Braid you bought online, but it'd have be wonky as anything.  Having a piece of software written specifically for the platform just seems...ideal to me.  It is unfortunate that the App Store policies are sometimes obnoxious, and I hope Apple lets up on that (and I have been a frequent critic of their policies in approving apps in the past) but to say that the App Store is anything but an immense success would be crazy.   

I agree that the iPod and iPhone were not the first in their markets obviously, which poses a challenge unique to the iPad in actually being the first in their market (again, not a tablet PC imo).   I'll even say the iPhone or iPod may not be the best of their devices for you (though I'd be surprised if that were the case, but people need different things) but I think you can agree they were absolutely revolutionary devices in their markets that define that market.  I feel like the same will be true for the iPad, other developers may make better products, but it'll really be a defining point for that market.
    Commenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Commenter

everyone is glossing over the fact that this is an accessory, so you have to already own a computer to use it.  it syncs with itunes to get any updates etc.  it seems like it is intended for people who dont need a phone and dont need a full computer, but it is essentially required to already own a computer to use it? thats broken.

personally i was expecting  a macSomething product, not an iSomething product.  macTouch would have been brilliant. to reinvite a full os for touch... would have been exactly what a ton of the population would want...

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#161  Edited By Wildfire570
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " i can see this being big with doctors, lawyers, businessman etc. its like an entire briefcase in your pocket... well not pocket, more like a man-purse.  "
    It would be called a "satchel" but man-purse would work too. Though for the sake of fusing words, I would call it a Murse.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @Getz:  Thank you, much more reasonable, appreciated.  Again, I'm not sure I agree that tablet computers can do everything this can, but that may just be a difference of opinion.  Again, tablet PCs have consistently attempted to emulate laptops or PCs, I have not seen one that has really built itself as its own device.  I could be wrong, but I've seen plenty of tablets, and they all seem to run in varying degrees between cintiq and laptop. 
    Huh?  Tablet PCs have been around forever, just as writing recognition has too.  Even the Newton acted like a computer because it is one.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Getz
    @Addfwyn: Here's my beef with the App Store: 

Imagine that you want to make a sandwich, so you go to your cupboard to get a plate. You pull out you plate made by Apple Inc. Except, you realize that this Apple plate is not compatible with the kind of bread that you have, so you go out and buy some new bread. It costs you 2 dollars, a small amount but a nuisance nonetheless. Well, you also need to buy the Apple brand swiss and Apple brand turkey and Apple brand mustard. They work just fine, but Apple doesn't make any mustard, and you're not allowed to use your own. And you really, really like mustard. 

Now I'm hungry... 

I don't understand why the App store is such a huge draw for you. How is it any different or superior to the girth of applications readily available across this great wide internet? How is having an application "designed specifically" for the device preferable to being able to use a program you're already familiar with using on your home computer? All the App store is, is a narrowing of ideas. I say that it's redundant because the idea for "one stop shopping" is no longer necessary in an age where information is readily and easily accessible, and with a little bit of effort, you can find exactly what you're looking for with little or no cost. 

Can you use photoshop on the iPad? How about Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox (both widely considered superior browsers to Apple's Safari)? Do you see my point now? Apple's design model is one of stifling creativity, usability. They funnel you down their path, rather than letting the user choose. That is not something I would pay 650 dollars for.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By AndrewB

I'll give Apple one thing over the competition, though. They've got the world's best UI and hardware designers around. Comparing the iPad to a Kindle makes me realize just how lacking Amazon is in the hardware design department, or at least whoever they contracted to build both the Kindle 1 and 2. I'd still probably go with the Kindle over the iPad if I were to only take the e-book functionality into consideration.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @AndrewB: 
    There's no doubt that this new Apple device is far prettier and friendlier than anything as utilitarian as the Kindle, but that won't be enough to maintain its place in an already highly contested arena.  As you said, even with the lack of bells and whistles, you'd take the Kindle over the far more user friendly iPad.  I see that as being a pretty common point of view.
    FellOpenIan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By FellOpenIan

Like all things Apple it's double the price for about half the hardware. Any gamer who's following tech knows what's coming down the pipeline in terms of netbook CPUs and GPUs and the iPad is pathetically underpowered and overpriced in comparison.

I love me some Apple aesthetics but their pricing and specs are offensive.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Addfwyn

@SeriouslyNow 
    Yes, but I'm saying the iPad isn't really a tablet PC, at least not in the way past tablet PCs were.  It's the best label for the device probably, but I think you can agree that the functionality (for better or worse) isn't the same at all 

@Getz 
    Gee thanks, now I'm hungry too -.-.   I think a better metaphor is a home-made sandwich versus one at the restaurant.  You can sit at home, make yourself a nice ham and cheese sandwich, use whatever ingredients you want.  It's tasty, and you're pretty happy with it.  But let's say you are hungry and you go out to a restaurant, you may pay a little bit more and you get a sandwich specifically the way the chef makes it (I understand in the US people can request changes, but that's pretty rare here).  The sandwich is much tastier, but you had to pay a bit more for it, had to leave home, and hopefully you like onions.  But if you like onions, man was that a good sandwich.

I think it is superior for the same reasons you seem to think it's a problem, because the software is going to be designed specifically for the device in question.  That has always been Apple's biggest advantage and to its detractors, their biggest disadvantage.  The closed system approach guarantees that their system will run faster and smoother than the alternatives, but the increased efficiency comes at the cost of less options.  However, the app store greatly expands the amount of options all focused on one specific type of device, that is what is staggering about it. 

No, you can't use photoshop, but that's the point.  A desktop version of Photoshop wouldn't work worth a crap on the iPad.  Could Adobe make a version of photoshop for the iPad that worked perfectly for it, yes they could and you'd find it on the App Store.  I understand the point, and I understand why it's a problem for you, but at the same time it is Apple's largest asset.  There are always going to be people that agree with you, that want that open environment where they can do anything, even at the cost of efficiency, which is absolutely okay, different type of consumer.  Then there are the other users (myself included I suppose) who are willing to work with a more closed model, but the sandwich is a lot tastier for it.  I feel the iPad is for the second category of people, which (by estimations of the iPod and iPhone market) are a substantial category of people.  It probably isn't for everyone, and it may not be for you.  I feel it will be a success with a sizable market though. 

I think the same can be said about a lot of the way a company like say...Sony functions.  Their devices work amazingly together, as long as you just use their devices.   It's a similar concept with Apple.  You can get your restaurant sandwich or you can make one at home.  Myself, I think I'm going out to eat.  (But seriously, I'm making a sandwich now) 

EDIT: One question, why 650?  If I get one, I'm probably getting the 499 model.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Addfwyn: 
    In what way specifically is the iPad's functionality better than any other Wireless tablet PC?  Think very carefully, because the iPad's reliance on text recognition or screen keyboard due to a lack of real keyboard input screams limited functionality in comparison.  Then there's the issue of missing Adobe Flash support. 
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Addfwyn

@SeriouslyNow  
    Well I actually hate Flash with a passion, so ANY device that helps encourage it to die quickly is a boon in my eyes.  The iPhone was great for that, lots of sites started being redesigned without Flash specifically because of it. 

I also don't like physical keyboards on my portable devices (which is why I wouldn't buy a phone like the Droid, but I did briefly consider the Pre) so I consider that a plus as well.  That said, since I doubt either of us have got to use the keyboard on the iPad yet, I can't speak for the efficacy there.   

Multi-touch (though I think it is a bit of a silly name, as with most apple things) provides a great deal of functionality that didn't exist in previous tablets.  Sure they had touch or pen interfaces, but the ability for a screen to independently recognize so many different level of input gives developers hopefully a much wider variety of possiblities with the interface.  Additionally, it makes the interface 100% modular, and you can have any configuration of controls or interfaces you may choose to use as a developer.  Most tablet OSs are still based on a desktop OS, so are a bit constrained in how much an app can really take over the core interface.  I've seen some innovative apps on other tablets before, but they always seemed constrained by the UI, not aided by the UI.  I studied UI design for a while in college (additional minor in it, but it's honestly boring as hell) and I never found a tablet interface that really clicked with me (and I always was looking).  They were great for certain things, like taking notes or working on an art project.  But they never felt as modular as what I was looking for.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Getz
    @Addfwyn: I think it's safe to say the neither one of us is going to convince the other of anything. We both recognize the facts, we just interpret them differently. I'm calling it: discussion closed! You made some interesting and thoughtful points though, so congrats on being a tenacious bastard. I like your restaurant metaphor, I think that's pretty accurate. I'm just a cheap bastard who doesn't have 10 bucks for a good meal, let alone 500 for what amounts to a fancy iPod Touch.

Also, I picked 650 cause it's higher. I'm allowed to embellish when I'm making an argument damnit.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Addfwyn

@Getz 

Sounds good to me, and I agree.  Glad we could have a discussion about it, and came to roughly the same conclusion, we just went different ways with the conclusion.  Sorry if I came across as a bit snooty originally, internet arguments make one a cynical bastard :p.   I think your points are perfectly legit too, I frankly agree with you about apple's app store policies, and hope that they lighten up there.   (Oh, and I think when I was mentioning the netbooks the first time, I was addressing the other poster moreso than you, I forget)

Cheers.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Addfwyn: 

That's a little too specific, in that it's all based around your opinion and not the products place in the market overall.  Try coming back with something that has a broader and more applicable world view.  Not that your opinion isn't valid, not at all but the iPad won't survive based purely on your hatred of Flash and proper keyboards.  Netbook market pickup along with Adobe adding hardware acceleration as a key feature in Flash 10.1 is a definite sign that many will disagree with your points of view quite strongly.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By AndrewB
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @AndrewB:  There's no doubt that this new Apple device is far prettier and friendlier than anything as utilitarian as the Kindle, but that won't be enough to maintain its place in an already highly contested arena.  As you said, even with the lack of bells and whistles, you'd take the Kindle over the far more user friendly iPad.  I see that as being a pretty common point of view. "
    Well, that's in large due to the display technology. The current implementation of  E-ink is far from perfect, but the whole idea is to cut away the eye strain, daylight viewing problems, and battery drain. I think Apple should have waited at least until they could have stuck an OLED, next-gen color E-ink, or similar display technology in the thing. And for a book reader, who wouldn't be more interested in the one with a battery that lasts weeks, as opposed to one that lasts 10 hours, max.

Also, I hate the general idea behind the Apple book plans. First of all, they're straight-up charging more for their books. Secondly, they've got the wrong idea in the presentation. My thought behind the e-book reader is that it's supposed to be this device that paves the way toward the future. A better way of doing books. Apple's scheme is all about being retro; making their digital books look like actual books, with the sort of papery look and book-like borders around the text. Your collection of books looks like it lies on a bookshelf. Granted, this is a somewhat insignificant gripe, because this is all about what kind of crowd they're marketing it to, but my vision of the e-book is about throwing out old conventions and embracing what technological advances can do for the written word, not dwelling on the way it used to be done.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Addfwyn

@SeriouslyNow 

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree, I doubt either of our opinions are really relevant to the overall market.  Though I can assure you plenty of people dislike Flash, try writing something for Flash and you'll quickly start hating it too.  

Keyboard is more a personal thing, but I doubt it's as big a deal as some people think.  The iPhone did fine without a physical keyboard, some people won't buy it for one, and they probably won't get the iPad either.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @SeriouslyNow  We'll probably just have to agree to disagree, I doubt either of our opinions are really relevant to the overall market.  Though I can assure you plenty of people dislike Flash, try writing something for Flash and you'll quickly start hating it too.   Keyboard is more a personal thing, but I doubt it's as big a deal as some people think.  The iPhone did fine without a physical keyboard, some people won't buy it for one, and they probably won't get the iPad either. "

You mean ActionScript?  Few have major problems with the language or the Flash SDK on the whole, it's the proprietary nature of Flash that some people have a problem with and the same argument is easily levelled at many Apple points of interest, not least of which is the App Store.   I've written stuff in ActionScript and have used Flash since it was owned Macromedia before Adobe bought them.  Hell I've written stuff in ColdFusion too.  Languages and SDKs can be complex but what most people don't like is proprietary content and hard to understand licensing.

Your whole argument is a "personal thing" and so I've asked you to give me some less personified points of view, yet you haven't.  Agreeing to disagree is one thing, avoiding discussion because you can't do so effectively is another.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Addfwyn

@SeriouslyNow 

Since you care to continue very well:  I find ActionScript obnoxious to work with yes, I also find the nature of Flash to be annoying as well.  If you read my other posts, you'd know I have the same problem with Apple's App Store, and I do wish they would be more liberal with the apps that they'd let through (I think it's a brilliant service that is core to the devices, just not run in necessarily an ideal way.  I understand policing the apps they add, but I wish they had a more consistent scheme for what is approved/rejected)

I'm not sure what you want from me that you don't just dismiss as a personal thing.  I offered the niche the iPad offers (Hardware platform for uniquely developed apps), reasons people would (see previous) and would not like it (already have a kindle/laptop/smartphone and are a poweruser), the type of consumer it is for (General broadbase consumers, not gamers or the technological elite) as well as my own personal reasons for while I feel it will be an important device, whether you adopt it yourself as not.  The only 'personal thing' I've really offered is that I dislike keyboards on portable devices, and perhaps that I dislike Flash.  Neither of which are remotely important issues in regards to the device as a platform.   It's not for everyone like an iPod is, it's closer to the iPhone in that it targets a bit more of a specialized audience.

Is there a specific area you wanted me to highlight more that was unclear?  I felt I offered plenty of less personally focused points.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Addfwyn:
    Duder : No, just no.  You opinion is fine, using it as a basis for discussion is also fine, but to say that these opinions are somehow reflections of the broader community while also saying that iPad's lack of Flash support and a proper keyboard are unlikely to be reflected in broader opinion is well....it's crazy.  And by crazy I mean ONE EYED.  

I think all of your opinion so far is personally focussed and that's the problem.  There are professional publications who feel quite strongly that iPad will fail in the market and they point out quite correctly the failings of the device which we are discussing.

As to ActionScript being obnoxious, I have to say that I doubt the veracity of such a claim as I think you've never actually touched it at all.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Addfwyn

@seriouslyNow 

The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard or Flash support, but it was successful.  Not opinion.   Could that actually be an issue on the iPad instead, sure it might, but there's no real reason to expect that it should.  I think we both need to be able to actually try the keyboard before we can say what a difference it'll actually make.  Which may not be long at all if they have them in apple stores.

There were professional publications, many of them, that said the iPod was going to fail and that the iPhone was going to fail.  Publications often seem to be pretty offbase when it comes to Apple announcements.  Somewhat hard for me to take claims of 'the iPad will fail' seriously when I have heard that about every huge success that Apple has had.  I remember the claims that nobody would use iTunes (and thus the iPod) and that Apple would only sell a handful of the devices.  I also remember claims that the iPhone was overpriced (which it was, but they still sold like hotcakes)  and that it couldn't do anything other phones couldn't do.

The thing about the criticisms the publications point out is that they were entirely correct, they were indeed flaws of the devices.  It just...didn't really impact sales significantly.  The design of the devices played a role I am sure (Design DOES matter in anything, not just devices) as did the features that it could do.  Now, you may think that's ridiculous, which is entirely your prerogative.  I think it shows a strong trend to the contrary though.  Not in everyone, probably not even amongst a lot of the techie crowd.  But maybe that is why these devices do well, iPhone aside (which I feel appeals to both an average consumer and a techie consumer).   

EDIT: Also, going to bed, so cheers.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#179  Edited By strangeling
    Kireiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Kireiiii

Does your Laptop have ten hours of battery life? I think they will fix flashsupport, 
    But your right its not a laptop its a substitute for all the crappy netbooks.

cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#181  Edited By cassus
    @SeriouslyNow: I really hate people like you. Bashing people who like apple, is that really any better than being a fanboy? Dedicating time to just bashing people for what they like? SeriouslyNow..  

The fact that you didn't get the cheese analogy is baffling as well. You are the guy who refuses to see the usefulness of cheese. You already have milk (that being laptops/netbooks/iphone) so cheese to you seems absolutely meaningless (iPad, which I do agree is a horrible name). You do see what positive effect cheese had on society in hindsight, maybe the same thing will happen with tablets. I can't say for certain that tablets are going to take off in a major way, but I do know a LOT of people have been waiting and hoping for a tablet for ages now.  

And to Odonw: On page 4 i wrote a few things that I will personally be using it for. To sum it up, one of the things I'm most looking forward to, as are many electronic musicians/home studio enthusiasts, is the ability to make your own interfaces to control stuff like synths and audio equipment in general. And also synths on the ipad itself. The user interfaces possible on a multi touch display are awesome. Do a search on youtube for different things that will convert nicely to a touch surface. Things like the Jazzmutant Lemur, Reactable, and also more physical devices like the Monome and stuff of that nature. You have a few of those things already on the ipod, but the ipod is too small to actually be all that useful, the iPad will make those apps totally functional and will add a lot to the people who like that sorta stuff. Comparatively priced, the alternatives to the iPad cost many times more. Not sure what the jazzmutant goes for these days, but i remember it being at $2k at one point, and that's when i knew I'd never get one. 

Other stuff the iPad would excel at are books, granted, the e-ink devices will always be easier on the eyes, but that leads to the next point, comic books. I imagine getting a subscription for quite a few comic books once (and if) comic book publishers feel like making that available. And I've heard buzz around the web that suggests some are very keen on doing that. Once a week my iPad will ping, indicating new comic books are ready for download. I know some of you nerds in here agree to that being pretty damn sweet. 

I've been waiting for a tablet for ages, and I've been wanting a lot of stuff on a tablet computer, and I believe this will be the tablet to pull it off. The app store pretty much has an app for ANYTHING you'd ever want to do on your iphone. If you don't see what an iPad can do for you, someone else will, and they'll make an app that'll make you go "oh.. that's clever.." And also, as i wrote earlier, the 3rd party support for this thing are probably going to make pressure sensitive pens, like what you find on the Wacom Cintiq series.  

I also stated earlier that I really don't think portability is as big a deal as people make it out to be. How often do you actually lug your laptop around and use it outside the house? Students do, the rest of us, the majority in crappy jobs do not have any use for a portable computer at our workplace. And if we're going somewhere else, chances are we're actually headed somewhere for a reason, not to crack open a laptop at a restaurant or atop the space needle.  

One more thing, since I'm already typing. The multitasking thing, how big a deal is that? Do you get equally pissy with consoles for not being able to multitask? Cause it's somewhat the same deal. The whole thing with a closed system like a console or portable game device like ds or psp is that the software developers know the exact specs of the device, they know just how much horsepower is in this thing, that means they can make a game that (ideally) sits around 60fps constantly. Start popping up all sorts of crap in the background, though, and you totally mess that up. Same thing with the iPhone, most of the software on it, at least as far as games go, use most of the power available to them. And it's not like there's a 40 second launch time for apps on these things either. For the most part, opening and closing apps are as close to instant as to not really matter. Except for EA made games, cause they luuuuvs them splash screens, mhm durr.  

So yeah.. I do know that creative people will love this thing. And for the rest of you guys, you can always buy a windows tablet at a higher price with the oh-so-fantastic multitasking capable Windows Mobile or whatever they'll stick in that thing. That way you can run windows apps not optimized for touch on a tablet with absolutely horrible multitouch support. Dell Pinchfail is almost due for release i think. So you can scale your pictu.. wait.. Scale your pictures with two fingers like thi.. hold on a second, like this no this this THIS god damn it.. So.. you can move your images around like this *swipes a finger across screen*. Sucks that someone patented the only multitouch tech that seems to work on mobile devices.  

The only tablet i see actually competing with this thing will be the google tablet, and yeah, there will be one. And all the apple haters who went "haha tablet computers fail fail fail, ipad fail flop fail" will buy one. And I guess that's cool and all, just remember, I've had my tablet since the day you laughed at them seeing absolutely no use for them. 

Go throw your iphone knockoffs out the window btw. They are as useless now as when you bashed them on release. 

Wow.. lengthy post.. Sorry.. 

Oh, just remembered something, people who say apple wasn't first with tablets and whatnot. Apple actually made the Newton waaay back in the day. It flopped. Then stuff like Palmpilots and other PDA's started emerging and they sold fairly well, then came tablet pc's and whatnot. Apple was the first (to my knowledge) to make a fully functional commercial tablet computer.  

I just hope, and believe, that the day of the tablet is finally here.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By xyzygy

Why use this when you can use a laptop? Won't this take away from selling Macbooks? I don't get this product at all. They took the fact that people are familiar with the iPhone and basically made it big, with no phone. Apple is just a fashion statement to be different. 

I can see it now, college kids sitting around their lobbies and couches, sipping on Starbucks with their iPad in their lap. Wearing scarves. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @cassus: 

You hate people like me?  In short mate, blow it out your ass.  Oh wait...that's exactly what you did.

I should like to point out that I also make music and have done so on many platforms including the Mac and while AudioUnits are a nice idea, Apple fucked them up in implementation just as much as they did with Logic which used to be a useful app and is summarily ignored and shunned in many corners of the pro audio arena.  Also take note that Digidesign shuffled away from their legendary Apple focus too.  I wonder why....
    cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By cassus
    @SeriouslyNow: I do. Griefers who refuse to listen to any reason, just keep saying the same thing over and over. "so it's useless, useless useless, bla bla bla, what can you use it for?" people say stuff they'll use it for. "so it's useless, useless useless, bla bla bla, what can you use it for?" over and fricken over. I really don't see why you can't just see that people want this device for stuff you don't need. Do you do any music production stuff, do you have any idea how OSC or midi works? Any knowledge of synthesis and the poorly laid out interfaces common to VSTi and audio units? Probably not. So that part of the tablet is useless for you, that's all good and dandy. Do you read books or comic books? Bet you read green lantern, so you could use it for that, if that's ever happening, which I hope. Do you like visual arts, like drawing or whatnot? Cause it's probably getting some input device that'll make that fun to do.  

I don't know what to tell you, dude.. You've allready made up your mind. Now let the guys who want this device buy it without labeling them fanboys or whatnot. 

Enough of this juvenile bickering, though. It serves no purpose.  

Don't buy one. Easy as that. 

(added due to your edit) 
    How exactly did apple fuck up audio units? I've used a lot of apps and a lot of plugins, and I prefer audio units over any other standard. Vsti's i don't much care for. And what little I've done in Pro Tools makes me think that RTAS is the same as any other plug in type. I hate Pro Tools though. To sum it up, crappy workflow. That's a preference thing, though. I like logic. It gets frequent updates (these days. logic 7 was a stagnant bitch.) and the built in plugins are very nice, especially the reverb, which is an all time favorite.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#185  Edited By Winternet
    @xyzygy said:
    " I can see it now, college kids sitting around their lobbies and couches, sipping on Starbucks with their iPad in their lap. Wearing scarves.  "
    Ahhh the pain!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @cassus said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: I do. Griefers who refuse to listen to any reason, just keep saying the same thing over and over. "so it's useless, useless useless, bla bla bla, what can you use it for?" people say stuff they'll use it for. "so it's useless, useless useless, bla bla bla, what can you use it for?" over and fricken over. I really don't see why you can't just see that people want this device for stuff you don't need. Do you do any music production stuff, do you have any idea how OSC or midi works? Any knowledge of synthesis and the poorly laid out interfaces common to VSTi and audio units? Probably not. So that part of the tablet is useless for you, that's all good and dandy. Do you read books or comic books? Bet you read green lantern, so you could use it for that, if that's ever happening, which I hope. Do you like visual arts, like drawing or whatnot? Cause it's probably getting some input device that'll make that fun to do.   I don't know what to tell you, dude.. You've allready made up your mind. Now let the guys who want this device buy it without labeling them fanboys or whatnot.  Enough of this juvenile bickering, though. It serves no purpose.   Don't buy one. Easy as that. "
    Now you're just being an ass.  I made relevant comments based on the iPad's limitations.  Comments I might add, which do not stand alone and are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of general and specific criticisms of the device.  Why do feel so bothered with my point of view?  If you want one GREAT.  I don't.  But that doesn't mean I should be policed by an idiot such as you who don't cant read any negative points of view without acting like a spoiled brat.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#187  Edited By kraznor

One of my professors was pretty psyched as they looked at it as a Kindle, but hopefully with more books. I'm very indifferent towards it as well, doesn't seem at all worth the expense. And why no flash support? Most sites kind of need that.

cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By cassus
    @SeriouslyNow: Classy.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @cassus said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: Classy. "
    No.  That's iClassy to you.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#190  Edited By tebbit

Mah meh mei mo mu 

Is what I say about the iPad. It certainly looks pretty though...

Volkodlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#191  Edited By Volkodlak

I already have an iPod Touch; why would I want one that doesn't fit in my pocket.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#192  Edited By penguindust

I think it could be great for reading comic books, but really, have we learned nothing from the original Iphone?  Never buy Apple products until the 3rd or 4th generation because Apple holds back even the most basic of functionality to keep sales up over time.  No Flash on a tablet that is supposed to change the way you use the internet is a joke.  No multitasking of programs means I am slaved to doing just one operation at a time.  No camera for video conferencing and no GPS removes more functionality found on even the Iphone.  Also 16 gigs in the base model?  My 3 year old Ipod has more memory than that.  That is why the worst offending item left off the list is no USB.  With a USB port, users could at least have access to expanding their storage via new flash drives, but no...that would dip into Apple's sales of their 32 and 64 gig systems.

Between Sony's PSP GO and Apple's IPad (heh-heh), something's gotta be in the water the product designers are drinking because they are not listening to what the consumer is asking for in new media devices.   The Ipad is a shell of what might have been and maybe one day will be a good device.  Today, it's just a waste.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Evilsbane
    @iGaboru said:
    " Very popular to bash Apple stuff around here I see. "
    Or its just a very underwhelming product...
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By GunnBjorn

Didn't Apple in collaboration with Bandai made a game machine once and dubbed it 'Pippin'? 
    And what a fiasco that was? 
    Apple should stay out of the gaming business.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By super_machine

For a $499 gaming device I'd rather get a PSP go and $200 worth of games to be honest. Also, they really need to bunble the 3G service for existing iphone customers. I'd wager that Apple is expecting their target market are people already purchased the iphone. So why would you pay for two 3G data plans when you could do 90% of the wireless functions on the iphone?

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Kr3lian

IPad.  What a flop.  I hope this doesn't sell well, so they are forced to redesign it into something that is actually useful.

pphillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By pphillip

I agree with Jeff and everyone else for the most part, but I also felt this way about the Kindle and to my surprise I see more and more people with one on the subway every morning.  (And that device, basically only does one thing) Forget the fact that I can read books on my iTouch or better have it read to me! and I'm sure you could say the same for most PDA's these days.

I think their OS is mostly great, but their prices are too high. If they could bring the price down to at least a little higher than a netbook, make it 3G (if it isn't already)  they may just steal the show. Don't forget why the ipod is so popular, those apps! If the same, cheap apps become available on the iPad... expect that thing to sell through the roof.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#198  Edited By LordAndrew
    @GunnBjorn said:
    " Didn't Apple in collaboration with Bandai made a game machine once and dubbed it 'Pippin'? And what a fiasco that was? Apple should stay out of the gaming business. "
    That was almost 15 years ago. The iPhone and iPod Touch have proven much more successful than that piece of junk.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#199  Edited By artofwar420

Isn't this just an iphone fat? An expensive iphone fat; not phat.
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By fynne

I just found out more reasons not to get one:
    - no Flash support
    - no Java support (?) 
    - no multitasking

That's a huge chunk of the web that won't run properly on it.  Also, 10 hours battery life sounds like a lot until you compare that against ebook readers that use eInk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.