Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

The third game in the Ar tonelico series, and the first on PlayStation 3.

I have never played an Ar Tonelico game..

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Catolf

I saw a little of the predecessors which were more of the 2D variety and it seems the game has now moved to 3D with what looks like some solid gameplay and um.. interesting battle...tactics.. XD

I do play to try and get my hands on the other games more or less to do some research and see what all i'm getting into, but so far i like the look of it. Funny thing is I have heard of the games before but never got around to trying them out. So with Ar Tonelico 3 hitting shelves in two weeks time I have to say I'm quite excited to get my hands on a game that takes some.. interesting chances.

Also.. this never ceases to make me smile..

So Ar.. you got my attention, a person who's never tried your games before.. Looks like i'll be picking you up hopefully if my gamestop permits.. you are rated M.. and have near naked singing 'bouncing' ladies whom do derp dances and I don't mind. You'll be a great conversation piece when my grandma comes over.
    TheRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheRedMage

After all this time playing Ar Tonelico games I still don't know how to pronounce 'Ar Tonelico'.
    This game is looking good though, I need to look up the Euro release date. Hadn't seen any in-game footage before and it looks like going into 3D was a good idea since everything's a lot more dynamic now that they need to animate the characters moving rather than just having a bunch of different pictures for different emotions. I hope the characterisation is as good as it was in its predecessors.
    These are always so fun to play and have such great music though, I can't wait.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I haven't played any of them either. I looked up some gameplay of this one and it looks interesting at least. Maybe I'll check it out.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By jacksukeru

It is vital that you watch this video if you haven't already: 

This is, however, the extent of my knowledge regarding this series. No idea how it plays.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I actually own Ar tonelico II. I don't dare play it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

I've played a good chunk of the first Ar tonelico.  Definitely prefer playing with the Japanese voices.  I avoided Ar tonelico II, mainly because of the major issues with the North American version, like the game crashing during the final boss fight because they removed one of the boss's attacks, but not the code trigger for the attack.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SuperWristBands

I have the first game and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Yeah, there is innuendo every now and then but otherwise it's pretty good and I love the music.

I'm not sure what the battle system is like on Ar Tonelico 3 but it was quite good turn based gameplay in the first game.

@TheRedMage:
    If you are curious on how to say Ar Tonelico listen to this song. (If you don't want to listen to the whole thing then its at ~1:48) Though if you guessed a pronunciation you would probably have been right.

Hellequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Hellequin

Having played the first two, I'd say that so far my impressions (about 6 or so hours in) of AT3 are that it's the weakest of the lot - both in terms of gameplay and characters. For all of their faults, AT1 and AT2 had some pretty inventive battle engines, while AT3 has a watered down and unresponsive feeling tales-esque engine that just doesn't feel very fun. The characters and plot too seem very lighthearted, and I don't see how AT3 can compare to some of the stingers that the first games laid on you as the plot progressed.

Still, it's not like it's awful. The music is catchy, there's a lot of crafting and conversing to do, and the shameless exploitation is in full effect. It just doesn't feel as strong as either of the first two games.

Aside: Ar Tonelico II, despite having one of the most awful localizations ever and the previously mentioned game-breaking bugs in one of the final bosses, was still one of the most fun and entertaining RPGs I've played in years.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Catolf
    @TheRedMage:  i couldn't prounounce it either and weirdly one of the songs when your first start the game says the name how it should be said, i'm like "Oh! well that works." So far all the music is great, don't know how it stake sup to the other games but I like them.

@InfiniteGeass: I'm about three hours in, still mastering the beat up system with the girls, otherwise i'm enjoying, the voice acting though.. they should have gotten a better main.

@RockmanBionics: Wooowww... XD

@Hailinel: your going to prefer the japanese voices this time around too XD

@Hellequin: I'm not far in but I can agree with everything said here, though i have not played the other two games
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Catolf said:

@InfiniteGeass: I'm about three hours in, still mastering the beat up system with the girls, otherwise i'm enjoying, the voice acting though.. they should have gotten a better main.

Please explain the bolded words because what I am thinking is probably wrong. Also, I went to check out the voice actors and now I kinda want the game...
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By craigbo180

Until earlier today I hadn't even heard of it. I still have no clue what it is but apparently its some sort of JRPG?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @craigbo180 said:
    " Until earlier today I hadn't even heard of it. I still have no clue what it is but apparently its some sort of JRPG? "
    Ar tonelico is a series of RPGs, yes.  The first two were on the PS2 and this third game is the first one for current hardware.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By kingzetta
    @Catolf:  I've beaten Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 and loved them.
    I will not be getting #3 something about the 3D models make it seem way creepier. 
    Also the girls in the last two looked like adults, the girls in this one look like preteens.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catolf
    @Sasran said:
    " @Catolf said:

Please explain the bolded words because what I am thinking is probably wrong. Also, I went to check out the voice actors and now I kinda want the game... "
    XD it's where you swing your sword to red beats in the songs the girls sing.

@kingzetta: then i think your missing out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.