RPGamer gives it a 3.5 out of 5

#1 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Sounds good mostly cause the review says (good) XD I haven't found many places to find reviews but I found myself liking the way RPGamer reviews RPG's even if they did come down hard on Hyperdimension Neptunia they did speak the truth, can't knock them for it. At least they didn't use the excuse of sexualized children or something of that nature instead of just how the game played. 

Anyway this isn't a HD rant!

It's nice to see someone playing this game, Gamespot and IGN have nothing up but user reviews (which has been positive) but I don't have much hope that Gamespot will give this a fair review. IGN seems just fine, that was fair. But gamespot will come down hard on this for pretty much pure fanservice at it's core. So I am thinking to sticking to either IGN or RPGamer for my RPG reviews (or just friends word of mouth)

ANYWAY..

I'm looking forward to picking this up, if you want to see the review go ahead and click the link. Seems not many people are looking forward to playing this one, I will be and I'll give my insight into my first few hours when it arrives in the mail supposedly today. I won't be donating to much time at first cause i am REALLY trying to finish Rorona (finished 6th assignment, just waiting for the days to finish up) and Enslaved (2 more chapters).. but that's it.

#2 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

The "groan-inducing sexual innuendo that could have been written by a staff of excitable 12-year-old boys" was far from Greg M's only issue with the game. But this isn't the type of game GameSpot tends to review these days anyway, unless they rely on one of their freelancers to write a review months after release; and the result of that is harder to predict.

#3 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  Firstly I'm baffled someone commented over here, i've been hearing crickets for a while XD

I think some lady named Kat did the Gamespot review for Neptunia i never heard of her till i read the review, she supposedly has a good track record for RPG's so the comments said in their forums but, i dunno. I'm kinda relived to think Gamespot won't touch it. IGN seems to point out the flaws and give it a fair rating to the game. (at least that guy did in any case)
#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@Catolf: Kat Bailey I believe it was. She's also worked for Electronic Gaming Monthly and others. I was reading one of her 1UP reviews the other day, but I can't remember what review it was or why I was doing that. :/
#5 Posted by Hailinel (23851 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" The "groan-inducing sexual innuendo that could have been written by a staff of excitable 12-year-old boys" was far from Greg M's only issue with the game. But this isn't the type of game GameSpot tends to review these days anyway, unless they rely on one of their freelancers to write a review months after release; and the result of that is harder to predict. "
Greg Mueller pretty much hated every RPG he reviewed while at Gamespot, from what I can recall.
#6 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  Ah so that is where she came from, she had no profile on Gamespot for me to see any other of her reviews, I did find her 1Up page and her games she dosen't like page.. though she does have a neat G-gundam reference on her page I can see where our tastes arn't similar. Still looking for a review though, i hope she won't do another guest spot to review Ar Tonelico Qoga XP

EDIT: Also see on 1Up unless I'm missing it that she hasn't reviewed anything recently and just keeps to blogs.. XP

@Hailinel: I'll have to find him and see if I read any of his, I usually can't agree with anything gamespot says anyway though.. XP
#7 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

Kat bailey does have a pretty good track record and she also does alot of stuff for 1up. She reviews kingdom hearts pretty fairly even tho is admits she does not like the series.  So i would trust her review but on the same coin everyone has taste so you have to take review with a grain of salt.  Greg miller is ok on rpgs he may not be the best guy for the job when it comes to rpgs but he really liked Valkyrie chronicles 2 and gave it a good rating. Ryan Clements is ign rpg guy.  

the thing with Neptunia is it has a great idea behind it but the rpg elements in that game needs some work. 

#8 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@phantomzxro:  They only issue I had with the review is that she made the game sound completely broken and nothing but fanservice which isn't the case on either sides.
#9 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @phantomzxro:  They only issue I had with the review is that she made the game sound completely broken and nothing but fanservice which isn't the case on either sides. "
yeah i'm not saying she is 100% right because the game may have hit her the wrong way. But i will say their are some messed up mechanics in that game. I agree more in line with IGN's review  of the game and it can be a gem to some if you can look pass the rough parts.
#10 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@phantomzxro said:
" @Catolf said:
" @phantomzxro:  They only issue I had with the review is that she made the game sound completely broken and nothing but fanservice which isn't the case on either sides. "
yeah i'm not saying she is 100% right because the game may have hit her the wrong way. But i will say their are some messed up mechanics in that game. I agree more in line with IGN's review  of the game and it can be a gem to some if you can look pass the rough parts. "
Yeah, that was all I had issues with, I know the game isn't great but I know it's far from broken but I do see the issues with it. I wish I could see more of the reviews she has done but I can't find any..XP
#11 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

@Catolf said:

" @phantomzxro said:
" @Catolf said:
yeah i'm not saying she is 100% right because the game may have hit her the wrong way. But i will say their are some messed up mechanics in that game. I agree more in line with IGN's review  of the game and it can be a gem to some if you can look pass the rough parts. "
Yeah, that was all I had issues with, I know the game isn't great but I know it's far from broken but I do see the issues with it. I wish I could see more of the reviews she has done but I can't find any..XP "

well she just left 1up so you can find a few reviews of hers there. I think she reviewed final fantasy dissida 012. But really i don't know if it is all that important because she is just one reviewer who did not enjoy the game.  
#12 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Gotta admit that the game looks stupid... and then there's the sexualization of children...

#13 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@phantomzxro said:
"

@Catolf said:

" @phantomzxro said:
" @Catolf said:
Yeah, that was all I had issues with, I know the game isn't great but I know it's far from broken but I do see the issues with it. I wish I could see more of the reviews she has done but I can't find any..XP "

well she just left 1up so you can find a few reviews of hers there. I think she reviewed final fantasy dissida 012. But really i don't know if it is all that important because she is just one reviewer who did not enjoy the game.   "
she left? Geez i feel like I can't keep up.. oh okay she reviewed dissida 012 i'll check up on that.

@Enigma777 said:
" Gotta admit that the game looks stupid... and then there's the sexualization of children... "

sometimes you gotta look past that stuff and get to the core, which is supposedly funny dialog and decent gameplay (though bland fighting spots) But yeah there is that. *shrug*
#14 Posted by Katbot (1 posts) -

I'm the (freelance) GameSpot reviewer in question, and Hyperdimension Neptunia is awful.  =( And no, I don't have it out for niche JRPGs. I'm about to import Super Robot Taisen Z2.  :P

#15 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @phantomzxro said:
"

@Catolf said:

" @phantomzxro said:
" @Catolf said:

well she just left 1up so you can find a few reviews of hers there. I think she reviewed final fantasy dissida 012. But really i don't know if it is all that important because she is just one reviewer who did not enjoy the game.   "
she left? Geez i feel like I can't keep up.. oh okay she reviewed dissida 012 i'll check up on that.

@Enigma777 said:
" Gotta admit that the game looks stupid... and then there's the sexualization of children... "
sometimes you gotta look past that stuff and get to the core, which is supposedly funny dialog and decent gameplay (though bland fighting spots) But yeah there is that. *shrug* "

Are you fucking kidding me. If this game has bland fighting spots and sexualization of children why don't you just go watch a fucking movie.
#16 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Ugg.. After reading the review I'm torn on whether or not to give this one a shot.  I don't consider myself as that much of a prude and I've certainly played some of the more heavily-sexual-innuendo-laced JRPG titles out there but goddamn the trailers of this game even made me uncomfortable. I can't say the art style in general is that great either. 

While the first Ar Tonelico was cringe-inducing at times it did have a decent sense of humor and charm with combat that, while not complex, felt satisfying when you unleashed a 20,000% fireball on your foe. The second one was flat out broken with that wonderful game breaking bug vs the second to last boss and the horrible, horrible localization job, but it had one of the best soundtracks I've heard thanks to Akiko Shikata's terrific job with the hymnos songs. That alone was enough of an excuse for me to trudge through that mess.

Unfortunately, having already heard the OST for 3 and finding the music to be a steep drop from the first two with the only memorable song (Exec_Cosmoflips) being composed by Kokia, not Shikata, I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to pick this game up. The reviewer makes a case for the plot being compelling which has piqued my interest, but I dunno... Maybe I'll wait for it to drop in price, though at the same time I kinda feel compelled to get it since I tend to be the one that gets these obscure titles and tells people I know whether or not they're complete crap... 

Hrmm.... 

Yeah I think I'll pass on it for the time being. Thanks for the heads up about the review though!

#17 Edited by Sumbog (481 posts) -

I missed Ar Tonelico II, will my Ar Tonelico experience be less complete.

#18 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Katbot said:

" I'm the (freelance) GameSpot reviewer in question, and Hyperdimension Neptunia is awful.  =( And no, I don't have it out for niche JRPGs. I'm about to import Super Robot Taisen Z2.  :P "

strangly your posts if now suddenly smaller..XP I never said you had it out for Niche RPG's and that's fine if you want to import..that? XP

Hyperdimension Neptunia does not have "decent" gameplay. The battle system is a shade below average and the dungeons are awful. Please don't get me started on the story or the characters.

Look, I'm not out to get JRPGs. The World Ends With You and Valkyria Chronicles are two of my favorite games of the past five years. I gave Atelier Rorona a good score for 1UP. I'm willing to give any game a fair shake. 

But Hyperdimension Neptunia is awful, and Idea Factory should be ashamed of themselves. 

I think it does, it's not great but it's far from broken. But I can agree that the dungeons are awful, but what dungeon in an RPG isn't? I haven't found a 'fun' looking dungeon in years.. sorry persona 3 I love you lots but that tower is bad.. but I still love you~

In the end it's just a place to battle though.

I never said you were out to get JRPG's, I was unfamiliar with your reviews and when you make a game (a game which i know has many flaws) sound unplayable and broken, thats the only reason i'm rubbed wrong. I've played bad and broken RPG's, this is still playable, story is not the best but it's rather funny and the combat while simple is satisfying enough. I won't speak for everyone but the people who have played it that i've spoken too know it's not great but far from unplayable you know?

I don't think they should be ashamed of it, improve from this, yes, very much, but to be ashamed, nah.

@Sumbog said:
" I missed Ar Tonelico II, will my Ar Tonelico experience be less complete. "
No this is a stand alone title so you won't miss out on anything by playing this.

@CaptainCody said:
Are you fucking kidding me. If this game has bland fighting spots and sexualization of children why don't you just go watch a fucking movie. "
How about I play this game, and you go watch a movie?

@PixelPrinny: No prob about the heads up review, I finally got my hands on it and have about three hours in, i'm going to put in more time before I give my thoughts on it all, right now the voice acting is really hit or miss (mostly the lead being my main agitator) but it's starting to grow on me. Or it's suddenly white noise...XD

I just need to get better at syncing up the girls heart with my swings and not getting owned XD
#19 Posted by Karkarov (2975 posts) -
@Catolf: 
I am not sure what all the hub bub about this is to be honest.  It was clear you wanted to buy the game no matter what any reviewer said from your posts so why do you care what the review said at all?  Ar Tonelico games are extremely niche and for good reason, any "average" video game reviewer is going to give it an average or worse score.  User reviews are basically worthless for this type of game too because of it's extreme niche status.  Anyone buying it probably already knew exactly what it was about and were totally down for it to begin with so the score is obviously going to be good.
#20 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Karkarov:  Actually I had thought about it but wanted a second opinion thus my showing RPGamer's review, had it been poor i may have waited for it to come WAYYY down in price before I even bothered. I was no way 100% for this title before that review. Needless to say after it I got it. I forgot to post the review after I had it ordered though but that is life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.