Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2003

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits revolves around saving the world by playing through two opposing, yet similar characters, Kharg and Darc. Save the Deimos, save the Humans.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits Day Two

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

Edited By JackiJinx

The journey continues with Arc the Lad. This time, I've gotten up to finishing the second chapter for Kharg, which lasted about five hours...three of which where I was out of bounds from a save point. Luckily, no death yet. It's hard to die in this game. 

In today's venture, I dwell on names. What's in a name? Letters? Numbers? An obnoxious number of x's? Maybe so, but names are so much more than that. There's an art to them, a coordination that people usually abide to.  

Guy with the wings? Keeper of the wind? Windalf.
    For instance, take the name Kharg. That'd be a damn strange name for anyone that actually exists, but in a JRPG? Totally kosher and expected. Darc? Stupid, descriptive, but again, alright for the game. But then there's a Paulette, Lloyd, Banjo (who is sadly, not a bear), Ganz, and DarkhamEkidnaBard. Not a joke, that's a character's name, and all of those names are in the same game. This is such an issue for me since there's no rhyme or reason for most of these names. They're just there.  

That's not even to say I hate the names. Just the people's names. Some of the items are the best names I've seen, with my favorite being Painful Needle, used for curing silence. Why hasn't anyone come up with that sooner? So much better echo screen

Speaking of things I like, Arc the Lad has the best swing motion for all doors. Best of all, you only has to step mere inches away from said doors in order for them to automatically open. No button pressing, no running up against doors for time consuming animations, just good ol' self-sufficientslave doors. If you want a really good example of a swing, go to the game's first bar and fool with the bartender's saloon styled door. Should keep you occupied for a good ten minutes or so

Alright, it's back to the old sawmill. I need to play catch up if I want to finish by Friday.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By JackiJinx

The journey continues with Arc the Lad. This time, I've gotten up to finishing the second chapter for Kharg, which lasted about five hours...three of which where I was out of bounds from a save point. Luckily, no death yet. It's hard to die in this game. 

In today's venture, I dwell on names. What's in a name? Letters? Numbers? An obnoxious number of x's? Maybe so, but names are so much more than that. There's an art to them, a coordination that people usually abide to.  

For instance, take the name Kharg. That'd be a damn strange name for anyone that actually exists, but in a JRPG? Totally kosher and expected. Darc? Stupid, descriptive, but again, alright for the game. But then there's a Paulette, Lloyd, Banjo (who is sadly, not a bear), Ganz, and DarkhamEkidnaBard. Not a joke, that's a character's name, and all of those names are in the same game. This is such an issue for me since there's no rhyme or reason for most of these names. They're just there.  

That's not even to say I hate the names. Just the people's names. Some of the items are the best names I've seen, with my favorite being Painful Needle, used for curing silence. Why hasn't anyone come up with that sooner? So much better echo screen

Speaking of things I like, Arc the Lad has the best swing motion for all doors. Best of all, you only has to step mere inches away from said doors in order for them to automatically open. No button pressing, no running up against doors for time consuming animations, just good ol' self-sufficientslave doors. If you want a really good example of a swing, go to the game's first bar and fool with the bartender's saloon styled door. Should keep you occupied for a good ten minutes or so

Alright, it's back to the old sawmill. I need to play catch up if I want to finish by Friday.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

When I hear the debate over hardcore or casual, I always reflect back to these blogs. Hell, I think I'm hardcore because I played 30 hours of Endless Ocean: Blue World. The rest of the these fucktards wouldn't no what to do in that game.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

I have this game - spent 30 minutes trying it out and then got distracted by shinier games.  I will get around to in my retirement  :-)

gonzab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By gonzab

That name palette indeed looks odd. I also don't like when a game has like several unrelated inspiration for names.

It's like they went for French, English, Japanese, German names and then just named the last one after a centaur from the Outlands. It doesn't help making the world a believable one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.