Need some advice

#1 Posted by moffattron9000 (351 posts) -

I would like to get into arcade ownership, preferably an early 90's fighter. The problem with this is that i live in New Zealand, a country that while being a great place to live, as far as I can tell doesn't have something like a California Extreme to get me onto the right path, and Trade Me (Our eBay) only has two original copies of NBA Hangtime and a crap ton of Konami pokies available. On the flip side though there are plenty of custom rigs available, that while seeming a bit like cheating to me it may be my only option. So my question is if I should just get one of the custom rigs or if I keep looking for a proper machine. Also does anyone knows if New Zealand has something like a California Extreme. Thanks.

#2 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

@moffattron9000: New Zealand Extreme? Interesting idea, but I'd be shocked. I recall was tweeting something about ideas for an Australian CAX. Realistically now that CAX is over I'm sure the twitter account has some time to answer a couple questions. @CAExtremeOrg (I just discovered that CAX has a French wikipedia page, but not an English one. Never seen that before.)

I think the best advice is to just decide on your budget, and if you can't find something that meets your budget, you'll need to reassess. You can dress up a vanilla cabinet pretty nicely, and most people who DIY make something that suits them. You have to REALLY like a game to maintain a dedicated cabinet. Meanwhile a MAME cab can be any kind of configuration you can imagine.

Even though you're closer to Japan, I imagine freight charges are no joke. Meanwhile, you can always start small. Well maybe not as small.;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.