Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcade

Platform »

Stand-alone machines specialized for individual games. Arcades began the game industry and peaked in popularity before home consoles took over the gaming public. Arcade games usually cost 25 cents, or 100 yen, per play. Known for the most cutting-edge technology of their time, arcades have the largest video game library, and greatest variety of control methods, of any platform.

New Retro Arcade - Bombcast Boombox!

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spud693

I had a look to see how simple it is to stream other audio via New Retro Arcade, and found it pleasantly simple - check it out:

Really easy to do - open New Retro Arcade (V3), click the 'builder' tab (the toolbox), Expand the 'Tapes' section, select a cassette tape to replace, Name it (in the 'Track' field), go to Giant Bomb, grab the link for the MP3 of the show, paste it into the url field in NRA, hit save, then Play, go find the tape, stick it in the boombox and voila! You can now get some classic arcadin' done while listening to the duders (or whatever else you wish to stream).

Enjoy!

Ebok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spud693: No way to add more eh? just renaming I assume.

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ebok: Yeah, it's replace or nothing, unfortunately - still it's pretty cool, I more or less listened to the entire podcast while playing around in there, great job @digitalcybercherries !

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bummer that it only replaces the track. I was really hoping you could add as many mp3s to a folder as you liked, and it would just dynamically spawn a tape into that big box for each file you add. Hopefully it's something that would be doable down the line.

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that would be a good idea, just have it pile new tapes up in the box - if they want to keep updating it, of course.

On a seperate note - anyone noticed it crashing when attempting to play any genesis games?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flameboy84

@spud693:

That's because I think it's missing those ROMS and it causes problems.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@spud693 said:

Yeah, that would be a good idea, just have it pile new tapes up in the box - if they want to keep updating it, of course.

On a seperate note - anyone noticed it crashing when attempting to play any genesis games?

I haven't tried Genesis stuff but I have tried to replace Arcade games which has been tough. I guess I cannput find the right dump of Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting or Super Turbo, because they don't work. But replacing something with a Neo Geo game has worked well. As well, getting GB Color games to work is flawless, Pokemon Yellow and MGS: Ghost Babel work well. And SNES stuff is easy too. You need to get this for the defaults to work of course.

I replaced all of the NRA-original tracks with some other 80s or 70s songs, maybe I think an early 90s one in there too. Also replaced Free Bird with Marquee Moon, and I'll probably change out Back in Black for Zeppelin or something heavy or punk. Anyway this is a neat idea, I need to find the right games to replace the ones I don't care for here and I'll probably listen to the bombcast like this this week.

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi: sounds good. when I get some time I might have a look at swapping out some cabinets / carts, seems appropriate to have a windjammers cabinet in there when listening to the bombcast!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@spud693: My only gripe is that there is no GBA emulator (GB Player maybe?) so no Ninja Five-0. Also I suck at MAME and finding the right ROMs for that anyway.

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, more emu support would be a nice addition, for sure.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god, this is the first thing that makes me want an oculus.

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, I could lose myself in there for ages. (hell, I have without a headset, never mind with)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.