Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcania: Gothic 4

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 27, 2010

ArcaniA: Gothic 4 is the 4th installment in the European Action RPG franchise Gothic, and the first after JoWood's split with the original franchise developer.

360 demo is here (PC one too)

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

So the demo's out, here's the link. PC demo here.

So first impressions after playing it for about 20 minutes: I like it. I don't have a very good PC, so I'm playing the 360 version. Obviously if you've seen videos of the PC version, the 360 one won't be as visually impressive, but I still think it looks pretty good. Some nice looking foliage in this game.

I found the combat better than I expected. While it's not as refined as say, Demon's Souls, it still pays off to time your attacks (especially once you get new attack skills) and evade enemy attacks mid-combat. You can cancel out of your attack animation into a dodge, which I think is great.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By louiedog
    Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Fierrze

Demo was ok. But there is so many other generic fantasy RPGs like this.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The Gothic games are more sims than traditional RPGs.  They have their issues but they could hardly be called generic.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By louiedog
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " The Gothic games are more sims than traditional RPGs.  They have their issues but they could hardly be called generic. "
    I was only able to play the demo for about 15 minutes before I had to head out this morning, but what I saw was extremely generic. The dialog, the quests, the setting, the art design, etc. I haven't played any of the Gothic games before so I can't speak about the series, but based on this demo I can certainly say that this felt very generic. Maybe the demo opens up to something more, or at least the game does some interesting things, but I didn't see them. I'll try it more tonight.
    Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Timing
    @louiedog said:

" US link "

Thanks bro, updated the OP.

So, that demo was pretty long, granted I was taking my time.

Here's what I didn't like: 
    • Subtitles inconsistent with what was being said. Wouldn't be a big deal with minor details, but as it happened in two instanced they mixed up 5 with 6 and hours with days.
    • One quest description's final two sentences were suddenly in German. I can read a little German and I actually thought it was kind of funny so I didn't really mind that much, but it was still weird.
    • There's a torch in this game. If you equip it and take it out it creates light around you, which is nice. If you then put it away the light of the torch stays in the place where you put it away, which is odd.
    • Some texture pop-in and a few rough graphical edges in general.

I liked more than I disliked though:
    • You can either use an actual shield or create a shield of magic. Both nullify most physical damage done by enemies. This is just something I just really like in general.
    • The world seemed to be seamlessly interconnected. I think I saw maybe one or two story related loading screens in my nearly two hours of playing this.
    • As said before, you can create light around you. Not only with torches, but also by equipping magic, which looks really cool. Basically, you can illuminate caves or other dark places with purple glow (or that of other colours of course).
    • As I played more, I started to appreciate the rhythm of the melee combat more. Pulling off 'flurries' by timing the button presses corresponding to the glow on your weapon is a really cool incentive to not just mash about mindlessly.
    • Surprisingly good ranged combat. If you auto-target enemies with the bow, you'll obviously hit them more easily, but if you manually go for headshots, you'll actually inflict more damage. Don't see that a lot in RPG's. Also, after you fire one shot with the crossbow you'll keep walking slowly, as long as you keep shooting, which is extremely useful when aiming for heads.
    • LOOT. I went through 3 different armour sets, 3 shields, and probably a dozen melee weapons in this demo. You can even assign these items to change between them on the fly.

Overall, I'm impressed. I might get this game next month.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Seppli

I just played the Demo to completion. It's a big step forward for the Gothic franchise. The change in developers (from Piranha Bytes to Spellbound) did give the series a much needed reformation to more modern and streamlined mechanics, while keeping the core of the experience intact.

I will definitly get this, as long as reviews don't find gamebreaking bugs (Gothic 3 especially suffered from this). Gothic 3 kinda ruined the franchise for me, but I'm positive that this iteration will win me over. Gothic 1 & 2 are some of my favorite gaming experiences in the realm of singleplayer RPGs. I'm glad that the franchise seems to be back on track.

If you haven't played the demo yet, give it a shot. It's worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the demo, and while it wasn't great, I liked it. It was certainly a step up from the last game. 

I'll wait and see how Two Worlds II shapes up before I make a purchasing decision, though. But if I'm being honest, either way I probably won't touch Arcania until it hits the bargain bin.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

After playing through the PC version, which runs 'effin great with no bugs or issues at all - maxed out on all fronts at 60+ frames a second, I gave the 360 demo a shot. While it still looks good (yet noticably worse) and the gamepad interface is well thought-out, I ran in a few issues I didn't have with the PC demo.

• Movement on the analogstick still only registers 8 directions like PC WASD movement instead of 24 (I believe... could be more)
    • Walking is too hard (too small a zone on the analogstick is reserved for walking - yeah, I enjoy walking in games to take in the scenery every now and then)
    • Pathfinding is shoddy (presumeably due to lacking memory they can't move around too much without it causing issues, which results in enemies being temporarily immune to damage as they walk back to their initial position)

On both version, I hate the 'loot perspective'. Everytime you loot a corpse or chest, the camera switches into an off-angle. It's totally confusing and killing the immersion, especially when looting a lot of corpses. I really hope they'll remove that nuissance until release. Otherwise, I'm quite certain it will be worth your while on 360 too. But if you can, definitly go with the PC version. It's superior.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @Seppli said:

• Walking is too hard (too small a zone on the analogstick is reserved for walking - yeah, I enjoy walking in games to take in the scenery every now and then)
    Have you ever played Resonance of Fate? It's almost impossible to walk in that game. The threshold between running and standing still is SO small that it almost doesn't exist, but it is there.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
    @xyzygy: 

Nope, luckily I didn't. It would have driven me mad.

Generally, since I got a PS3 in the Fall of 2009, I'm having more and more issues playing on my 360 anyways, due to a noticeable deadzone on the 360 gamepad's analogsticks, which just isn't there on the Dualshock 3 controller. Really hoping that gamepad revision with the 'twisty' dpad will improve on the analogsticks too, because I'm reluctant to games on 360 because of it. That puts me in a dilemma quite often, since many multiplatfrom games look a little more crisp and run a little bit smoother on 360. A very unfortunate situation. Either way I'm gonna be somewhat unhappy.

Ontop of that I prefer gamepad controls over KB&M in most games, which does cause me further annoyance, because PC versions of multiplatform games often lack native gamepad support (which again would be the 360 gamepad usually). So really, I NEED Microsoft to improve their analogstick's responsiveness or I'm doomed to be unhappy either way I go.

Luckily I don't mind playing Gothic 4 on the KB&M setup since I'm a longtime fan of the franchise (albeit Gothic 3 did ruin it for me somewhat). At least with this game I'm not gonna be driven mad by the perfect trifecta of dissatisfaction the 360 gamepad's analogsticks put me in.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Ravenousrattler

not bad, but the voice syncing could use some work, also sometimes people say something different than the subtitles like the witch said that i had been there for hours while the subtitles said days.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By schizogony

I'm totally fine with generic as long as stuff WORKS.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By YoThatLimp

So played the 360 demo, and I wouldn't touch thing until it sub $20, and I don't have any games I am even semi interested in.  The world was nice looking if generic, now I get there is graphic limitations for consoles, but god damn talk about pop ins and frame rate issues. It makes oblivion seems like a smooth game. Loading into a weird 'conversation view' every time you talk to anybody, is so god damn annoying. The inconsistencies between what is said and what the subtitles say is a bit annoying and does nothing but justify my sub $20 opinion. The combat felt fine, and leveling up actually feels like its actually making you more powerful, and getting more powerful made the combat more satisfying. I am still looking for this generations Morrowind, and I am hoping this turns out to be a good adventure RPG with a good land to explore.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Metalideth said:
    "So played the 360 demo, and I wouldn't touch thing until it sub $20, and I don't have any games I am even semi interested in.  The world was nice looking if generic, now I get there is graphic limitations for consoles, but god damn talk about pop ins and frame rate issues. It makes oblivion seems like a smooth game. Loading into a weird 'conversation view' every time you talk to anybody, is so god damn annoying. The inconsistencies between what is said and what the subtitles say is a bit annoying and does nothing but justify my sub $20 opinion. The combat felt fine, and leveling up actually feels like its actually making you more powerful, and getting more powerful made the combat more satisfying. I am still looking for this generations Morrowind, and I am hoping this turns out to be a good adventure RPG with a good land to explore. "

x2
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Seppli said:
    While I haven't played the game yet, that might be more to do with the 360 analog stick itself.  They're designed with huge dead zones, making slight pushes impossible.  Seems to work for some people, but I was having problems making slight aim corrections in Dead Space just last week.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Diamond

I was really impressed with the demo actually.  For some reason it grabs me far more than Dragon Age or The Witcher or Risen have...  Still not worth buying at full price, but it's on my price watch list now.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @Seppli said:
    While I haven't played the game yet, that might be more to do with the 360 analog stick itself.  They're designed with huge dead zones, making slight pushes impossible.  Seems to work for some people, but I was having problems making slight aim corrections in Dead Space just last week. "
    Yeah - for the same reason I prefer playing games on PS3 now. The Dualshock 3 doesn't suffer from this issue. Way more responsive analogsticks. Too bad the triggers are trash and the overall formfactor is a bit worse. Nontheless, having no deadzone beats these shortcomings easily.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli
    @Diamond said:

" I was really impressed with the demo actually.  For some reason it grabs me far more than Dragon Age or The Witcher or Risen have...  Still not worth buying at full price, but it's on my price watch list now. "

The Gothic franchise always had a very cohesive and wide open gameworld (barely any loading screens past the initial load) with believable NPC interactions. While combat was just clumsy yet servicable in Gothic 1 & 2, it was totally broken in Gothic 3. Arcania does fix combat, so really, there isn't a downside to it anymore.

I enjoyed the demo so much, that I finally reinstalled Gothic 3, which I never finished because of its issues. I'm now about 5 hours in. With all the latest patches (including a 1 GB fan-made patch), Gothic 3 is kinda fixed and fun. Combat is still clumsy though, but at least as serviceable as in Gothic 1 & 2. Having a lot of fun with it.

Gothic 3 costs around 5$ right now and is a gigantic game with at least 80 hours of content. If you got the stamina for it, I'd definitely recommend trying it out. While it is unwieldy, it will grow on you after a couple of hours. Just remember, if you want to see it to completion, it will take an epic time investment. I think I'm gonna see it through this time around - hopefully.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pweidman

I played the demo today and damn there was a lot of gameplay.  I've never played a demo that long...anyway I really liked it.  Everything worked fine except a little bit of dodgy camera.  And the plant pop-in.  Combat worked great, lots of loot(prolly way faster aquired than the full game), and decent graphics.  And I liked that all lines are spoken.  I thought the demo really picked up when you hit the Dark Forest.  Two Worlds II is delayed 'till whenever, so I'll be getting this come the 12th.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli
    @pweidman: 

I especially loved how it made me want to play on. I felt like I played a full game and then after a good 2 hours of gameplay... suddenly it ended and I was hooked.

With Gothic games clocking in somewhere between 50-80 hours for the main questline excluding sidequests, it's not surprising that the tutorial island is like 2-3 hours long overall.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By FourWude

Horrendous framerate on the 360 version. Seems to run at less than 25fps constant.

Eric5676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eric5676

I like it. Took down the PC demo. Played with both KBM and 360 controller. You can't map the controls at all but I saw with the 360 controller that left trigger gave a lock on target option and the analog stick allowed you to control player speed from walk to run.

With KBM it's default run at all times, no target lock, and the Z button is supposed to be for zoom and I'll be damned if I can see that doing anything. I'd prefer to play this with KBM if I can but it looks like either way you go it's going to control well and be a solid game. I hope the rails are gone in the final game vs. the way it was in this demo. I also wouldn't have minded a little more control over the camera.  

I'll need to raid the settings.ini file.

So Two Worlds 2 has been delayed? Is that confirmed? I still see mostly Oct. 5's holding all around.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Blind_Evil
    @louiedog: Generic is such an overused term in video game discussions, particularly in regard to fantasy settings.  There are thousands of books published every year that borrow from the same Tolkienesque source, but the people that are into it realize that it has gone from being generic to simply being a facet of the genre.  The good games are the ones that do unique things within that "generic" setting. 

Applied elsewhere, this logic starts to fall apart.  You don't see shooters being panned for their generic middle eastern settings or generic soldier-boy characters.  
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli
    @Blind_Evil said:
    " @louiedog: Generic is such an overused term in video game discussions, particularly in regard to fantasy settings.  There are thousands of books published every year that borrow from the same Tolkienesque source, but the people that are into it realize that it has gone from being generic to simply being a facet of the genre.  The good games are the ones that do unique things within that "generic" setting.  Applied elsewhere, this logic starts to fall apart.  You don't see shooters being panned for their generic middle eastern settings or generic soldier-boy characters.   "
    I hate the jaded gamer's talk about 'generic' so much.

Look at any story ever told. There just so many relationships human minds can comprehend. Every live has already been lived before. Every relationship has been had before. Every possible event has already unfolded before. No matter how you live your life. No matter what you create. No matter if you are the first to discover something for a fact. It has been a fact all along and it never was new to begin with. It's new to you - at best.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By RichardLOlson

Its not that bad.  Its not Morrowind, but its still ok.  I might have to pick this up next month.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By valrog
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " The Gothic games are more sims than traditional RPGs.  They have their issues but they could hardly be called generic. "
    Except for the part where Arcania is not actually a Gothic game.

Is the PC version well optimized?
    lolak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lolak47

I just played the 360 demo, at first I hated it, the voice acting was terrible the graphics (on 360) looked really bad and had some frame rate issues. 
    But then I got to the 2nd cave and the godamn LOOT got me hooked :D.  So much awsome loot that looks bad ass on your character!! I loved the second cave/dungeon.
    I really enjoyed the combat, dodging away from attacks, blocking, switching from bow n arrow to sword n shield and magics on the fly, It was awsome.
    But the combat was  rather on the easy side, and the shield bash skill was hard to do, yo have to hold Y and press X at the same time lol.
    Im looking forward to the full game be it mainly for the loot.

Just played the PC demo, I'm  surprised to say that i enjoyed the 360 version alot more... ofcourse the PC graphics on High were far better but the interface and controls on the 360 were better imo. 
    The 360 controls felt much better then the Mouse and Keyboard and the 360 interface looks much beter then pc version for some reason. 

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Choi

I'm a bit late, but just played the demo, not to completion because I had to go and there's no save (is there?). 
    Really, really liked it. 
    When I started, I killed a few sheep, just to check the combat out. 
    As I came to the village, I talked to some old lady (I think it's my mother?) and she said: "OOO, is that blood?" 
    The hero replied:"Ah, don't worry, just a bunch of sheep."  
    She said raged:"Are you slaughtering sheep again? You were suppose to watch over them, not kill them!" 

Needless to say, the game won me over immediately. The combat is quite good, loot lust started to kick in after 10 minutes, and I actually kinda like the graphics, especially the lightening effects. 
    Great atmosphere altogether. 
    I'll definitely get it. Just feeling a bit sad for the game, coming so close to Fable 3. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.