Final Thoughts On Arcania

Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -

After taking a break from Arcania (Gothic 4) to beat Fallout: New Vegas, I finally went back and powered through the last 7 or 8 hours to beat the game.  I noticed there were no reviews on Giant Bomb for this game yet, so I put mine up here.  Admittedly, it's pretty harsh, but I was fairly disappointed with it.  It's one of the few games that I played all the way through that I never really got into.  Almost every moment I was playing it, I felt like I was wasting my time.  I'm a little OCD when it comes to gaming, so I felt obligated to finish it up.  And then I felt obligated to warn the world.  In a lot of ways, it felt like the exact opposite of New Vegas.  It was polished, the graphics didn't look dated, and there were very few bugs (and certainly no game-crashing bugs).  But I never really had any fun with it.  The whole time I was playing Fallout, I wanted to keep playing Fallout, even when the game randomly decided that I couldn't, or quests got screwed up, or something else bizarre happened. This sort of crystallizes the importance of good design/writing in game development.

#1 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -

After taking a break from Arcania (Gothic 4) to beat Fallout: New Vegas, I finally went back and powered through the last 7 or 8 hours to beat the game.  I noticed there were no reviews on Giant Bomb for this game yet, so I put mine up here.  Admittedly, it's pretty harsh, but I was fairly disappointed with it.  It's one of the few games that I played all the way through that I never really got into.  Almost every moment I was playing it, I felt like I was wasting my time.  I'm a little OCD when it comes to gaming, so I felt obligated to finish it up.  And then I felt obligated to warn the world.  In a lot of ways, it felt like the exact opposite of New Vegas.  It was polished, the graphics didn't look dated, and there were very few bugs (and certainly no game-crashing bugs).  But I never really had any fun with it.  The whole time I was playing Fallout, I wanted to keep playing Fallout, even when the game randomly decided that I couldn't, or quests got screwed up, or something else bizarre happened. This sort of crystallizes the importance of good design/writing in game development.

#2 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Yep, same thing here!
Arcania was one big disappointment... I did still finish it, however. Silly me kept thinking it would somehow get better later on in the game... somehow.

#3 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -
@KillyDarko: Me too.  I was actually in sort of a state of disbelief for the first three or four hours.  I kept expecting that the tutorial would end and it would turn into an open world experience.  Just didn't happen....
#4 Posted by risseless (477 posts) -

I enjoyed Arcania as much as the previous Gothic games, although it was very easy to tell it was a different developer. I'm curious if you've played Risen -- it's effectively Gothic 4 in all but name and lore, made by the original Gothic developer.

#5 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -
@risseless: I did play Risen (after I finished Arcania).  I liked it, but I still found it to be a bit limited.  You can certainly explore the whole world right off the bat, but the world just seems so much smaller than the world in Gothic 3 did.  But overall, I was fairly happy with the experience.  I would certainly rate it higher than Arcania.
#6 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I'm on a hack n slash bender.  Started with Dunegon Siege 3 which I loved then I came to gothic 4 and it was like a smack in the face.  Its far from a finished state and I did regret in the first hour that I started the game but now that I'm 3/4 done, I'm ok with the game.  The save any time and the achievements are sure helping thou.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.