Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcania: Gothic 4

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 27, 2010

ArcaniA: Gothic 4 is the 4th installment in the European Action RPG franchise Gothic, and the first after JoWood's split with the original franchise developer.

Gothic 4 review round-up.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Buffed on the other thinks Arcania has a compelling story without fantasy cliches, there's some real roleplaying and enough "Gothic" left. Therefore the game receives good 80%

Gamers.at  The bottom line is Arcania - Gothic 4: technical and good fun, but not very good RPG.

Pro
    - Solid RPG
    - Good graphics
    - Continuation of the Story

Con
    - Gothic charm is missing
    - High hardware hunger
    - Second half of the island unfinished

Graphics 9/10
    Sound 7/10
    Handling 8/10
    Story 6/10
    Motivation 7/10
    Score: 79%  

PC Games gives 79% and thinks it's no real Gothic but quite okay for people only looking for a solid RPG. "A lot was promised, not much delivered." The story is weak, the quests boring and the game short.

Cynamite tested the XBox version. They think Arcania is "a good action-RPG for roleplaying newbies. But the graphics in the XBox version are so horrible that even the good content [...] can hardly compensate for the technological weaknesses." Their fun was worth 7.5/10.

VideoGamesZone posted an abridged version of the same article. Less article, less fun. So this time Arcania (XBox 360) only deserved 73%.

IGN: It's not going to please hardcore D&D purists, or gamers looking for the next Elder Scrolls, but as a middle ground between deeper entries and linear adventures, Arcania: Gothic IV hits its stride.  7.0

Gamestar  No Gothic and No good game. 69%  

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By salad10203

I already preordered so I will be optimistic.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm actually surprised to see such positive reviews.  Played the demo for about 10 minutes and had to shut it off after vomiting wall to wall.  Very bad frame rate, super cliché story, uninteresting characters, bad graphics, wonky animations, horrible voice acting, boring quests...  And literally, this was all less than 10 minutes into the game. 

Perhaps I need to give it more of a chance though.  After all, I actually thought Two Worlds was quite a good game.. once you looked past its initial flaws.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By valrog

The game did not deliver. That being said,  every non-delusional/realistic Gothic fan is waiting for Risen 2.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @valrog said:
    " The game did not deliver. That being said,  every non-delusional/realistic Gothic fan is waiting for Risen 2. "
    Why it's not like Risen was any good imo.
    If this is even worse then Risen then ... damn
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sounds like pretty much what I expected.  I never really got into the Gothic series as it is.  I wanted to, but didn't.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog
    @Tennmuerti:  Risen was a true Spiritual Successor with even (arguably) better story. I don't know what you've been smoking.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PureRok
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    "
    I'm actually surprised to see such positive reviews.  Played the demo for about 10 minutes and had to shut it off after vomiting wall to wall.  Very bad frame rate, super cliché story, uninteresting characters, bad graphics, wonky animations, horrible voice acting, boring quests...  And literally, this was all less than 10 minutes into the game.  Perhaps I need to give it more of a chance though.  After all, I actually thought Two Worlds was quite a good game.. once you looked past its initial flaws. "
    Sounds like a Gothic game to me!
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RichardLOlson

I can't wait to play this game.  I"m excited for this game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @valrog said:
    " @Tennmuerti:  Risen was a true Spiritual Successor with even (arguably) better story. I don't know what you've been smoking. "
    Spiritual successor or not, the main storyline was ridiculously laughable and cliche, character progression limited and uninteresting, the world very small, there was one what can be barely called a town a small bandit camp and a monastery that is it, combat was ridiculously hard at the start especially for new players and ridiculously easy in the second half of the game, and as a cherry on top the final boss fight completely ignores your character progression or specialization making it all pointless, gives everyone the same armor and weapon completely ignoring any rpg mechanics turning into a silly easy action mini game.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog
    @Tennmuerti: I had no problem with the size of the Island whatsoever,  combat was what every Gothic fan would come to expect, and I'm sorry to say this but... So was the last Boss. It's always been like that. How we know and love.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvements, but Risen is a true Spiritual Successor to Gothic II for me, and I hope Risen 2 will too. I can't talk about Arcania until I actually finish it, but I highly doubt that it will be as near as good as what Piranha Bytes can come up with.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By armaan8014

hmm.. I'll play it if I get any mothereffin time!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.