holy crap this demo...

#1 Posted by freshakiff (82 posts) -

it's like the dynasty warriors people tried to make demons souls. seriously what's up? it's janky, not in a cute eastern European kinda way like the old Gothics, or 2 worlds. just flat out bad, this was a disappointment.

#2 Edited by Aronman789 (2694 posts) -

It's because Gothic 4 is made by Spellbound, not Piranha Bytes like the old gothics, don't worry, they're making a Risen 2

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

Oh, it's like Dynasty Warriors?  I'm gonna have to delete it off my hard drive. Me and my silly downloading habits.

Online
#4 Posted by freshakiff (82 posts) -
@Aronman789:  cool beans i really wanted to get risen. the fault in arcania is the game play, it's to action  oriented and not only that the combat is bad. their moving away from the customization of the originals and more towards a fable style game, and not a good one at that.
#5 Posted by Eric5676 (36 posts) -

This game isn't bad. I'll probably still buy it because I need a fix.
 
Risen 2 is going to be where it's at, though. I loved the first Risen.

#6 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

Yeah, this demo didn't do much for me. I'm willing to forgive jank if there's other interesting mechanics or good acting, but this didn't seem to have either. I played through to the point where you wake up in the cave with the witch wanting to teach you a magic spell, and then are sent on what was probably the tenth fetch quest in 45 minutes. If the magic casting--which I missed out on-- was 10 times as good as the combat, I still didn't care enough to continue on.  The weird subtitle deviations from the spoken dialog didn't really help with my impression of the game either. Like there was a point where I asked to collect six of something from a dude, and the subtitles said "five." That's some lazy shit.

#7 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
" It's because Gothic 4 is made by Spellbound, not Piranha Bytes like the old gothics, don't worry, they're making a Risen 2 "
This. People need to understand to not expect this to be a Gothic game.
 
Also, how is the UI? Have they made it better? Honestly, I can't stand games that have a terrible UI. Or that one that lacks any kind of inspiration and kills the immersion because it's a Windows-like UI. Sigh...
#8 Edited by Eric5676 (36 posts) -
@valrog said:

" @Aronman789 said:

" It's because Gothic 4 is made by Spellbound, not Piranha Bytes like the old gothics, don't worry, they're making a Risen 2 "
This. People need to understand to not expect this to be a Gothic game.  Also, how is the UI? Have they made it better? Honestly, I can't stand games that have a terrible UI. Or that one that lacks any kind of inspiration and kills the immersion because it's a Windows-like UI. Sigh... "
I thought it was better this time around myself.  Overall, my biggest concern is that once you're past the demo area that the rails come off because if they don't it's going to be fairly tedious after a point. I also hope we can port demo saves over to the main game because I can't say I really want to replay all of this tutorial/prologue area all over again.
#9 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

They're making a Risen 2?! =D

#10 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
#11 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Yeah, the demo was very underwhelming. Combat seems uninteresting, except for shooting which I though had a nice feel to it. Voice acting was pretty bad, graphics kinda meh. I'll wait to pass judgment until the full game comes out, but so far I'm not impressed.

#12 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" They're making a Risen 2?! =D "
Yes!! "
YAAAY!!!
#13 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose:  I edited my post with the source.
#14 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose:  I edited my post with the source. "
Thanks! I loved the first game, this is very good news.
#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @valrog said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose:  I edited my post with the source. "
Thanks! I loved the first game, this is very good news. "
Sure thing. It's good to see someone who can appreciate the work of Piranha Bytes. I can't possibly wait to see more information about Risen 2. Hm, I guess that means that they won't be doing the Steampunk-RPG anytime soon... If anyone can do it, they can.
#16 Posted by Aronman789 (2694 posts) -

Yeah, just played the Demo myself, Fucking horrible, there are invisible walls all over the damn place, and combat is easy as shit.

#17 Posted by lancer75 (88 posts) -

Am I the only one that thought the demo was kind of awesome?  I mean, yeah the game wasn't as open as Risen, maybe the invisible walls were caused by it being a demo.  Even if they weren't, besides the main character's god-awful fiancee, and the kind of boring plot, I liked the demo a lot.  It looked great, the combat was fast and exciting, and unlike risen, there's a large emphasis placed on loot.  I thought the whole witch's dungeon was really fun to play in.  It made me really excited for the game.  The story may or may not be very good in this one, but if the dungeon-crawling experience in the full game is anything like it was in the demo, I will be more than satisfied with the final product.  I really liked Risen and kind of enjoyed the older Gothic games, but this isn't supposed to feel as those games do.  That's what Risen II is for.  Then again, I also liked some of the older Dynasty Warriors games, so maybe I'm just a bad person.

#18 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@freshakiff said:
" it's like the dynasty warriors people tried to make demons souls. seriously what's up? it's janky, not in a cute eastern European kinda way like the old Gothics, or 2 worlds. just flat out bad, this was a disappointment. "
You talking about the 360 version, I hope... which is admittedly somewhat ugly and has various other tech-related flaws.
 
The PC demo was amazing. Made me go back begin a Gothic 3 playthrough. Boy oh boy, that's a big big big world. Somewhat overwhelming almost.
#19 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

I hate how games basically force you to have HDTV's I can't read shit in this game.

#20 Edited by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I'm banking that at least the 360 demo is from an older build that or the game will bomb.
 
I found the gameplay to be alright.  Nothing awesome but a good filler until Fable III is out.
 
@Jmangino:
Can't afford a HDtv?  Use a LCD monitor.  Even a 19" WS LCD is better then any size boob tube.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12128 posts) -

That dog is adorable.

#22 Edited by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

The PC demo seemed fine to me, i thought it seemed like the gameplay mechanics had been ironed out a bit compared to the older Gothic games. Calling it a Dynasty Warrior game is a bit harsh. 
 
I don't know if this changes anything but i never finished or played Gothic 1,2 or 3 for more than 40-60 minutes each, cause i thought they functioned horrible. Combat was weak and lackluster. But comparing Gothic 4's combat with the old system i would say they have made a step in the right direction.

#23 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

The combat was absolutely terrible. So boring and tedious. 

#24 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6344 posts) -

Everything about this demo is sub-par, and that's kind of sad.  Gothic 2 was a hell of a fun game.

Moderator
#25 Posted by FokisMoney (48 posts) -
@lancer75 said:
" Am I the only one that thought the demo was kind of awesome?  I mean, yeah the game wasn't as open as Risen, maybe the invisible walls were caused by it being a demo.  Even if they weren't, besides the main character's god-awful fiancee, and the kind of boring plot, I liked the demo a lot.  It looked great, the combat was fast and exciting, and unlike risen, there's a large emphasis placed on loot.  I thought the whole witch's dungeon was really fun to play in.  It made me really excited for the game.  The story may or may not be very good in this one, but if the dungeon-crawling experience in the full game is anything like it was in the demo, I will be more than satisfied with the final product.  I really liked Risen and kind of enjoyed the older Gothic games, but this isn't supposed to feel as those games do.  That's what Risen II is for.  Then again, I also liked some of the older Dynasty Warriors games, so maybe I'm just a bad person. "
thank GOD im not the only crazy person who kind of enjoyed the demo. I may be a sick person too though, since i LOVED too human, and even though i traded it the first day i bought it on 360, i recently repurchased two worlds on steam and have been diggin the hell out of that game. So i may just have some sick obsession with all things loot & level-up
#26 Posted by lancer75 (88 posts) -

@FokisMoney
 
  I'm guessing that you're going crazy waiting for Diablo 3 then.

With the kind of ratings that this game is getting, it's looking like the quality of this game is very subjective.  The game isn't objectively great.  Gothic 4 seems to be the kind of game that has enough flaws that they can overwhelm it's strengths if the player doesn't enjoy the kind of game that Gothic 4 is, or doesn't appreciate how this specific game has focused its gameplay.  I fucking love loot.  So I don't care if Gothic 4 has gameplay that is more shallow than previous Gothics.  You dangle that carrot in front of my face, and as long as that carrot looks even remotely edible, I'm going to chase it.  Gothic 4 isn't a hardcore RPG like the previous Gothic games were known as.  Gothic 4 isn't great, but I know I'll fucking love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.