Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcania: Gothic 4

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 27, 2010

ArcaniA: Gothic 4 is the 4th installment in the European Action RPG franchise Gothic, and the first after JoWood's split with the original franchise developer.

I feel myself embracing the jank.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MikeFightNight

Now I had never played a Gothic game when I decided to download the demo for 360.  However even though seeing the frame rate is kind of jacked and there is probably a slew of bugs for the game (especially on the 360) I could not help myself from smiling at everything from the dialogue to the small european game studio vibe I got from the whole game.  i can't quite put my finger on it but I can see their intentions are in the right place but the game itself is pretty janky. But for some strange reason I feel myself embracing the jank instead of shutting off the system as I am prone to do with most janky games. 

Anyway the fact that they chose to release this game the same week as New Vegas and a week before Fable 3 doesn't seem to bode well for it's sales.  And since I plan on getting New Vegas and Fable 3, Arcania will most likely be a game I pick up for cheap when it falls in price. 

Now I have heard the game obviously runs much better on a PC but I use a Mac, and to be honest like I said before I find some charm in the 360 version. 

Also as someone who has never played a Gothic game before, is Gothic 4 biting from Dragon Age, or did Dragon age bite from Gothic?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Im not sure what you mean as far as "biting from". High fantasy has been around forever, Dragon Age and Gothic haven't really invented anything new between them.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

That's the thing when people stop being assholes about games, they find out that there is a lot of great games out there.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pweidman

The full game has very little jank, if you care tc.  I'm prolly half way in and the problem is not how everything works or looks...it's fine, actually more polish than your avg. rpg.  But the story is lackluster to say the least, the loot is slow and minimal compared to other rpgs imo.  Side quests are just kinda generic and generally get boring a bit.  I was hoping for more, and for this to hold me 'till Two Worlds 2....but it's pretty meh so far.
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @ryanwho said:

" Im not sure what you mean as far as "biting from". High fantasy has been around forever, Dragon Age and Gothic haven't really invented anything new between them. "

Specifically what I mean is the stinger that goes off when you level up and then your character glows, which had me second guess which game I was playing.  I also noticed the ability to level up a  specific attack which resulted in "dual striking" which is an attack straight out of Dragon age.  Some other stuff too that does not occur to me at the moment.

@trophyhunter said:

" That's the thing when people stop being assholes about games, they find out that there is a lot of great games out there. "

Well talk about people who  broadly put others into categories while riding their high horse.  I never considered myself a gaming asshole but maybe you have a point, I mean I do like most high profile games that come out.   I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but a little  courtesy can go a long way.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trophyhunter
    @MikeFightNight said:
    " @ryanwho said:

" Im not sure what you mean as far as "biting from". High fantasy has been around forever, Dragon Age and Gothic haven't really invented anything new between them. "

Specifically what I mean is the stinger that goes off when you level up and then your character glows, which had me second guess which game I was playing.  I also noticed the ability to level up a  specific attack which resulted in "dual striking" which is an attack straight out of Dragon age.  Some other stuff too that does not occur to me at the moment.

@trophyhunter said:

" That's the thing when people stop being assholes about games, they find out that there is a lot of great games out there. "

Well talk about people who  broadly put others into categories while riding their high horse.  I never considered myself a gaming asshole but maybe you have a point, I mean I do like most high profile games that come out.   I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but a little  courtesy can go a long way. "
    Hi, I'm trophyhunter have we met Bhahahaha.
    Anyways I was not calling you an asshole, i was just trying to make a point.
    Like the people that say "well it really only 1079 lines of resolution, there fore it's the worst game ever."
    Also the people that say stuff like "No mulitplayer? fuck that game" and they are referring to something like dragon age or fallout.
    Those people are assholes. I like all the big games but I also seem to really like a lot of "bad" games, like Lost planet 2, alpha protocol and alike.
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @trophyhunter said:

"  Like the people that say "well it really only 1079 lines of resolution, there fore it's the worst game ever." Also the people that say stuff like "No mulitplayer? fuck that game" and they are referring to something like dragon age or fallout. Those people are assholes. I like all the big games but I also seem to really like a lot of "bad" games, like Lost planet 2, alpha protocol and alike. "

Now those are all good points to define  people who are assholes about games.  All i ask is that people define their  arguments before throwing names around, thank you.

Also I love me some Alpha Protocol;)
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trophyhunter
    @MikeFightNight said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

"  Like the people that say "well it really only 1079 lines of resolution, there fore it's the worst game ever." Also the people that say stuff like "No mulitplayer? fuck that game" and they are referring to something like dragon age or fallout. Those people are assholes. I like all the big games but I also seem to really like a lot of "bad" games, like Lost planet 2, alpha protocol and alike. "

Now those are all good points to define  people who are assholes about games.  All i ask is that people define their  arguments before throwing names around, thank you. Also I love me some Alpha Protocol;) "
    lighten up these are video games we are dealing with, not bombs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.