Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcania: Gothic 4

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 27, 2010

ArcaniA: Gothic 4 is the 4th installment in the European Action RPG franchise Gothic, and the first after JoWood's split with the original franchise developer.

The framerate (Consoles)

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FritzDude

After i've been playing with the demo on the 360 for a while, the framerate in this game Is bad... And i mean really bad... It's just like Two Worlds framerate. Choppy and non-functional. Who the hell on the developers team says that this is OK? At least down grade the graphics to have it be on a steady 30, but this is like 10 frames a seconds. It's shit. Try hitting enemies with this framerate. Why is every game made in Germany, or whatever, have to be a clunky chunky pile of shit? (Not the game, but the framerate) 

Sacred, Two worlds, Risen and this, all suffers with horrible framerate on the consoles. And yes, i know this is a demo, but a demo is supposed to influence people to buy their games, and with this framerate i basically got turned down big time. And i like this kind of games.  

What's your thoughts on this subject? Do you think this is Ok?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By valrog

Hm. If 360 version is like that, I can't even imagine what will happen on the PS3.

To answer your question. Because most small German developers don't have multi-billion publishers behind them. That's why they're meant to be played on PC. Where such things can be avoided/solved.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FritzDude
    @valrog:
    Sure, but as i said, just down grade the graphics to a balanced threshold. It's still the developers fault. If your targeting a console audience, then i think they should work more on the port. A pc game is much more easier for them to patch up and build, but that's not saying they can take the easy way out.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By valrog

I know what you mean, and it's rather sad to see all those great games being held back because of technical issues.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Azteck

I just played the demo myself. First thing that struck me was "Holy shit. This frame rate is bad with a capital B"

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually didn't think the frame rate was noticeably bad, but the thing that got me, was how certain objects would actually fade out the closer you got to them. Generally you want the opposite to happen.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pweidman
    @Soapy86 said:
    "I actually didn't think the frame rate was noticeably bad, but the thing that got me, was how certain objects would actually fade out the closer you got to them. Generally you want the opposite to happen. "

I know it's weird, but there's an option you can turn off that stops the grass/shrubs from disappearing in the demo.  As far as the FR, I thought it ran fine.  It's not super smooth but between 20-30 fps at least.  Only noticed slowdown w/the spiders and bugs in the cave, and when all the fireballs were flying when the undead mages went nuts.  I really liked the demo and can't wait to play the full game.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FritzDude
    @pweidman:
    30 FPS at least!? I'm sorry, but that's just not right. 20 sometimes, ok, but the problem is that the frames "chunks" along the way, if you understand what i'm getting at. It skips and make the experience bad, especially in combat.  By the way, did you play on the 360 or PS3? I would love to know how both is holding up to each other in terms of framerate.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli

I played both the 360 and PC demo. While the framerate is bad and the rendering resolution and lack of AA and AF doesn't cope well with all the detail, making the game look all jagged edged, that's not my main concern with the 360 demo.

More disturbing than the graphical issues were the pathfinding issues I ran into on the console version. Quite often enemies get stuck and then become invulnerable to damage as they are walking back to their starting positions. One monster got stuck indefinitly in the architecture. In a game like Gothic, where you often fight enemies that will crush you in melee, kiting is a go-to tactic. Enemies with pathfinding issues render kiting useless and it might even break the game, when mosters get stuck. Kinda gamebreaking flaw, to be honest.

Oddly enough, I didn't run into a single instance of shoddy pathfinding on PC. So either way, if you can, go with the PC version.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

No, the framerate is way better than Two Worlds, it's actually pretty good in Gothic 4, I think.  It's an Eastern European RPG, the consoles don't get the focus.  At the same time I think this is the one of the best Eastern European RPG ports to console yet.

@Soapy86 said:

I actually didn't think the frame rate was noticeably bad, but the thing that got me, was how certain objects would actually fade out the closer you got to them. Generally you want the opposite to happen. "
    Intentional, so you can see yourself when objects are between your character and the camera.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I will be playing the demo tonight and I've watched a few gameplay videos and it looks like nothing as beeing described here. 

Who knows, maybe they used a older bulid for the demo?
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By sins_of_mosin

After playing the demo, I see nothing wrong with the frame rate.  I do see issues with the visuals.  Jagged is putting it nicely.  No way this is the retail build, this has to be a older version because even the subtitles are wrong like the orc said five mushrooms and the subtitles said six.  And during the chat with the witch, there was a couple things not matching between the subs and the actual voice.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

Not to sound like one of those assholes, but this is totally what happens when you port a PC lead to consoles.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

think of the bright side...... atleast its better than the performance of a pc spec core 2 E8600 / 1gb ram / 4890  on max setting Cryostasis and core 2 E8600 / 2gb ram / 4650 max setting Demi God..... and  core 2 E8600 / 2gb ram / 5450 max setting Gothic 4 with 7 frame rate per second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.