Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ARK: Survival Evolved

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

A multiplayer first-person survival game set in a world populated by dinosaurs.

What is this game? (old topic)

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By s10129107

It's been at the top of the Steam charts for a little bit now and there's been zero Giant Bomb coverage on it. I'm incredibly curious.

Also if there are movers and shakers looking at this post, please do a feature on this game. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. Also I don't wanna hunt around the dark places of the internet to find out more.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

It seems to be a survival game in the vein of DayZ / Rust / Reign of Kings / The Forest . What makes this one special is that there are dinosaurs in the game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Did you ever think of looking on YouTube? There are a bunch of people doing Let's Plays and other types of videos about Ark.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I doubt giantbomb is the place you would want decent coverage of this genre, they all seem pretty dismissive of it, despite it being a new hugely popular thing, born on PC. That doesn't happen often anymore. The Stranded Deep Unfinished, was pretty worthless content.

Obviously when I say 'new' take it with a grain of salt, because it's a genre born with early access. Meaning none of them are done and theres 100 crappy clones for every decent one.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It is a survival game (DayZ, Rust, etc.) but with dinosaurs.

twitch and youtube should be more than enough to get a feel for it and aren't 'dark places' of the internet.

Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similar survival and build mechanics to Rust, with a leveling system, choose your own recipes to learn, and yes dinosaurs. Hunt, tame, and ride em. Quite a few species already in the game, more to come of course. Environment is a jungle style island with a few mountains, rivers, and caves, surrounded by ocean which has underwater caves to explore as well. Three giant, different colored obelisks provide landmarks, and below them tribes or groups of players can summon a boss-type monster to fight, provided they found the materials needed. PvP and PvE servers. Official and Unofficial, some modded (will support Steamworks) servers as well.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

Tons of people are streaming it on twitch from what I've seen just browsing around. You can get a feel for it there. Think of it as a survival, collect, and build kind of game. DayZ with dinosaurs. Why no one thought of adding dinosaurs to this formula before now is beyond me, but apparently it works.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

It is dinosaur pimping game as far as I have seen on the twitch streams.

You can drug dino's with berries to enslave them into becoming your mount so you can ride them. Survival games not my thing so probably never play this game.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in other words another survival game which won't be out of beta or early access soon. I can say I'm getting bored of em.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By Slag
    Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Strange this game never got any coverage here it's absolutely huge, by far the most popular survival game if you ignore minecraft, and in my opinion the best.

Not everyone's cup of tea but personally I think ark is my favourite game of all time, nearly 100 hours in 2 weeks and only just scratching the surface of this monster!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone who plays this have an opinion on the whole expansion pack situation with this game? As someone who plays and enjoys Rust, I would be pretty pissed if they had the balls to put out a paid expansion pack for an early access game.

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: it's a map a fair bit harder than the 2 free maps, its completely non essential extra game for people who have already played a lot and want something new, and maybe a way to support the devs further.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's actually a really good version of the typical "survival" nonsense that has been flooding Steam lately. The only issue is that it runs like horse-sh*t. No reason I should be getting sub 30 fps with a $400 CPU and a 960.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sarcasticmudcrab: I am all for supporting devs for their work, but it seems wrong to dedicate resources to a paid expansion before the main game is out of early access.

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

@ssully: on paper ye sure. It's on consoles now though, its not alpha by any means it's perfectly playable at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.