Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arkedo Series - 03 PIXEL!

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 21, 2009

Pastagames and Arkedo Studios come together to create an Xbox Live Indie Game, and the third game in Arkedo's "one game a month" experiment.

How Very, Very Unlike Me...

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By Skald

Well, after getting a full retail game's price worth of Microsoft points, I decided to hit the Marketplace. It seems everything I want is already purchased. Interesting. Rather than waste my time picking through the rubbish, I scrolled around a bit. I must admit, the Marketplace is arranged in a relatively useless way, so its hard to stumble upon something unless its new in the last two weeks. After a Playstation download meltdown, I was sure I could find something on Xbox to download, but nothing jumped out at me until the browser stopped on Indie games. I am going to say this right now, if you've seen the quicklook for Xbox Live Indie games, you have a relatively good idea of what these are. Most of them are miserable games that are made redundant by the superior quality of the regular arcade games, but some of these games are diamonds in the rough. Downloading a couple trials for top-rated games, including Ska StudiosZombie-game-thing, nothing really grabbed me until I played a simple little game boy-esque sidescroller. This game is called Arkedo Series 03 - PIXEL!, and I assure you, the gameplay is far better than it's name. The Studio who made this game, Arkedo, has actually made two published DS games, and consists of about four people. 
    Anyway, the game is a platformer. You play through about eight or so levels in classic Mario fashion. Most enemies die if you jump on their heads. Some enemies have headgear and are harder to destroy, and some enemies can fly. Some tiles or sprites can be examined with the magnifying glass tool. This usually opens up a minigame where you have to guide the cursor to a certain point in a maze of walls. After that, you may need to input a code, mash buttons or input a button combo. The game has some interesting puzzles, the likes of which you might have expected from Kojima or Wario. The fourth wall occasionally takes a beating. 
    The real draw, at least, for me, were the graphics. The game is NOT some kind of high poly-count monster in a million-eighty-P. Quite the opposite, in fact. The game has a charming Game boy look and feel. Like Gravity Crash, the game looks like an old game re-envisioned. The game has a couple shades of dark blue, grey, and white, as well as transparency. Pixels have a glow to them, giving it a slick '00s feel to this retro-styled game.
    The game is only three dollars-ish and comes with a free trial. That's a good deal, in my opinion. What do you think? 

And speaking of good deals, I got Torchlight for five bucks on Steam!

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Skald

Well, after getting a full retail game's price worth of Microsoft points, I decided to hit the Marketplace. It seems everything I want is already purchased. Interesting. Rather than waste my time picking through the rubbish, I scrolled around a bit. I must admit, the Marketplace is arranged in a relatively useless way, so its hard to stumble upon something unless its new in the last two weeks. After a Playstation download meltdown, I was sure I could find something on Xbox to download, but nothing jumped out at me until the browser stopped on Indie games. I am going to say this right now, if you've seen the quicklook for Xbox Live Indie games, you have a relatively good idea of what these are. Most of them are miserable games that are made redundant by the superior quality of the regular arcade games, but some of these games are diamonds in the rough. Downloading a couple trials for top-rated games, including Ska StudiosZombie-game-thing, nothing really grabbed me until I played a simple little game boy-esque sidescroller. This game is called Arkedo Series 03 - PIXEL!, and I assure you, the gameplay is far better than it's name. The Studio who made this game, Arkedo, has actually made two published DS games, and consists of about four people. 
    Anyway, the game is a platformer. You play through about eight or so levels in classic Mario fashion. Most enemies die if you jump on their heads. Some enemies have headgear and are harder to destroy, and some enemies can fly. Some tiles or sprites can be examined with the magnifying glass tool. This usually opens up a minigame where you have to guide the cursor to a certain point in a maze of walls. After that, you may need to input a code, mash buttons or input a button combo. The game has some interesting puzzles, the likes of which you might have expected from Kojima or Wario. The fourth wall occasionally takes a beating. 
    The real draw, at least, for me, were the graphics. The game is NOT some kind of high poly-count monster in a million-eighty-P. Quite the opposite, in fact. The game has a charming Game boy look and feel. Like Gravity Crash, the game looks like an old game re-envisioned. The game has a couple shades of dark blue, grey, and white, as well as transparency. Pixels have a glow to them, giving it a slick '00s feel to this retro-styled game.
    The game is only three dollars-ish and comes with a free trial. That's a good deal, in my opinion. What do you think? 

And speaking of good deals, I got Torchlight for five bucks on Steam!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Links, links, and more links!

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skald
    @natetodamax: I like the colour yellow.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax
    @extremeradical said:
    " @natetodamax: I like the colour yellow. "
    As do I.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skald
    @natetodamax said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @natetodamax: I like the colour yellow. "
    As do I. "
    Turning words in to links satisfies my need for yellow text. 
    Yeah... no. 
    I just like linking things to articles because I quite like the giantbombopedia. People don't use it enough.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm definitely going to have to check out PIXEL!. The art style looks incredible.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skald
    @Chaser324 said:
    " I'm definitely going to have to check out PIXEL!. The art style looks incredible. "
    The graphics are the game's best feature, in my opinion. The game also has a very quirky sense of humour. 
    The game really reminded me of the first generation game boy, the pixels are detached and about four shades of white. 

No Caption Provided
    It looks like this.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By infininja

How long is the game? Does it get any harder? I played the trial and enjoyed it well enough but it was awfully simple (much like JUMP!, but I supposed that's part of the point of this series).

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skald
    @Infininja said:
    " How long is the game? Does it get any harder? I played the trial and enjoyed it well enough but it was awfully simple (much like JUMP!, but I supposed that's part of the point of this series). "
    Yeah, it gets harder. Later levels add projectile-shooting enemies and ice, both of which complicate matters quite a bit.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Hamst3r

I like how happy the monster creature looks when it jumps. Especially when descending and it's tail flails around. It makes me lol.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By EVO

Digging the art style to that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.