Arma 2: Combined Ops in steam top 5 because of... zombies?

#1 Posted by SwiftFire (75 posts) -

So we all know about Arma 2, a military blah blah simulator blah blah helicopter leaves without you and you have to wait 30 minutes before it respawns blahdy blah. It just hit #4 on steam's top selling selling list in the EU and #5 in the US and apparently this is the result of a zombie/survival mod created by one or a few of the developers of ArmA 2 itself. The mod seems to draw inspiration from The Walking Dead tv show featuring new weapons such as a crossbow for silent kills as well as emphasizing more on player to player interactions and atmosphere than it does on the slaughter of zombies. Ammo is scarce and usually only found in the abandoned towns that are scattered throughout Arma's 225 square km map adding some risk vs reward situations where you might find a heap of ammo but then startle a zombie resulting in you having to use it all to fight off the ensuing horde. All your progress is saved on a character server meaning you can stop at any point, switch to a different server and still have all your guns and equipment. If you like games such as the STALKER series but really wanted it to be a COOP/ moderately multiplayer online experience with servers that hold 50+ people or you're German then I encourage you to check it out. http://www.dayzmod.com/

For a proper explanation of what this is read this review from some horror gaming site.

#2 Edited by MatthewTheBeast (163 posts) -

Yeah, known about it from some Arma 2 clans' venture into the beta/early release of the mod. I think the most predominant one was from a clan called Shark Tactical or something like that?.... They split into two groups, one went off on the typical zombie survival group thing and the other became highwaymen. Anyways, it looked very interesting and does give The Walking Dead feel in that you really can't trust other public players on the server.

#3 Posted by Harpell (158 posts) -

Great, another reason for me to get a PC. Just what my wallet needed...

#4 Posted by Tamaster92 (271 posts) -

Been playing this and it's FANTASTIC. the guys need to do a quick look ASAP

#5 Edited by MrBoBo (102 posts) -

Why don't they just make a zombie game? It's pretty clear people are interested.

#6 Edited by Village_Guy (2544 posts) -

Oh goddammit, this sounds pretty good, but I don't want to buy Arma2 and, hell, I'm not even sure I could run it anyway...

EDIT: That video on the horror gaming site is awesome, this seems like a pretty unique experience if you get on a server where people play it "seriously" (not meaning wanting to do well, but meaning not wanting to just fool around and attempt to break the game and grief the other players).

#7 Posted by SwiftFire (75 posts) -

@MrBoBo: They were talking about making it a standalone game but most people on the forums just want it to be official DLC. In any case they are porting the mod over to Arma 3 when that comes out.

#8 Edited by Abendlaender (2783 posts) -

Funny,I just bought Arma 2 CO because of that mod. And let me tell you: It is AWESOME

Giantbomb should do a TNT for that, that would be amazing

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

I'm usually anti-zombie because of how overdone it is, but this sounds amazing.

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

I'm usually anti-zombie because of how overdone it is, but this sounds amazing.

It's less about zombies and more about surviving in a zombie infested world, if that makes sense? Also bandits.

#11 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

Vinny/Dave should do a quicklook!

#12 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5408 posts) -

Anyone interested in this should watch the Days Ahead series:

#13 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Wow, I'm getting this tonight. Are the servers private or is there a series of master servers?

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@Fistfulofmetal said:

Vinny mentioned on twitter that he and Drew have been checking it out, so...

#15 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

other than the zombies moving really weird... seems like it can be something special.

#16 Edited by Joker369 (875 posts) -

I should go boot up my copy of ARMA 2.

#17 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

This is so extremely appealing. It makes me really wish it would become its own fully funded game. I'm eager to see this mod fully finished and moved to ARMA 3.

#18 Posted by Klaimore (946 posts) -

Wow this looks great I'm in.

#19 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Fistfulofmetal said:

Vinny mentioned on twitter that he and Drew have been checking it out, so...

this better happen or i'm holding you personally responsible!

#20 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Totally just picked this up, never really touched or know anything about Arma 2 but what the hell bring it on.

#21 Posted by SwiftFire (75 posts) -

@SamStrife: There's 15 to 20ish servers with at least 2 per region and at least 10 US servers. You can't host private servers because they need to be approved by the mod developers but you really want those other players there anyway.

#22 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I really hate how Bohemia Interactive handles the OA expansion and the fact that DayZ won't run on regular Arma 2. Been waiting for a steam sale forever and Arma seems like it never goes on

#23 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

I really hate how Bohemia Interactive handles the OA expansion and the fact that DayZ won't run on regular Arma 2. Been waiting for a steam sale forever and Arma seems like it never goes on

I'd presume once the full version is out they'll port it to regular Arma 2. As it takes place entirely on Chernarus and only some character models/weapons are used from from the expansions. Don't know if any servers will actually run it though

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@MrKlorox said:

I'd presume once the full version is out they'll port it to regular Arma 2. As it takes place entirely on Chernarus and only some character models/weapons are used from from the expansions. Don't know if any servers will actually run it though

It's not Bohemia's fault this mod runs that way. CO is Arma 2 running on the OA updated engine, which is what DayZ uses.

#25 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

...I might buy Arma2 for this

#26 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

This game is pretty sweet you and your pals can rob other dudes and leave them to get chomped on by zombies.

#27 Posted by falling_fast (2208 posts) -

is the live thing over? or has it not started yet? :/ I was on the site earlier and I swear there was no mention whatsoever that anything like this was happening,

#28 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

This game is pretty sweet you and your pals can rob other dudes and leave them to get chomped on by zombies.

Buying.

#29 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@deathstriker666 said:

@MrKlorox said:

It's not Bohemia's fault this mod runs that way. CO is Arma 2 running on the OA updated engine, which is what DayZ uses.

Same engine, same architecture. Many popular Arma 2 mods were once original Arma mods. Hell, BIS still uses some animations from the original OFP in Arma 2. There isn't much of an excuse not to port from one to another

#30 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

is the live thing over? or has it not started yet? :/ I was on the site earlier and I swear there was no mention whatsoever that anything like this was happening,

I hope we didn't miss it!

#31 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@crazyleaves: Pretty sure we didn't.. it looked like that header banner was there for all of 15 minutes and it said LIVE but the chat dragon was there saying "There's no show motherfucker!"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.