ArmA II: Free Giantbomb Gamenights

#1 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

Update: These runs are still very popular and are now happening every friday. We've moved from the Free version to ArmA: II Combined Operations (Original ArmA II + Operation Arrowhead expansion), along with a few mods that enhance the experience. Also, since I'm working a lot and don't have as much time to organize stuff anymore, and are handling most of the arma duties. But you can still get in touch with me if you have any questions.

We also have our own dedicated server now, called Good Luck No Batman, the server info is in the steam event info.

Hey fellas.

As some of you might know we've been doing ArmA II gamenights for a few months. By we I mean the Giant Bomb PC Gaming Hub. I'm the guy in charge of the ArmA II nights. We play every other friday at 10:00pm GMT. We do play the free version so anyone can participate. Just download the demo on steam and it will show up as ArmA II: Free in your library.

Add me on steam (SwoXx) and/or join our mumble server by clicking this: mumble://mumble.giantbombing.com/?version=1.2.0

We're also available on IRC Join the channel #GB_Gaming_Hub and hit us up.

Also join our steam group to get reminders for the gamenights we're doing.

Our schedule can be found here.

Get your gear and I'll see you on the field.

#2 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Some of the most fun games we play! SwoXx here is the Arma officer of the Hub, duders, anyone got questions direct them to him.  

2:48 of that video = total hysteria xD

#3 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

You guys still not tired of Arma?

#4 Posted by ambrsia (4 posts) -

What is the server address?

#5 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@ambrsia: We usually decide on a random server when we play. It's mostly a server called BWGBL something

#6 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

Hmm, I'll see if I can run the game on my PC. I doubt that I can, but I'll try.

#7 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

ah sorry man, I'd join but got a house party to go to :(

#8 Posted by VoshiNova (1645 posts) -

DUUDE I want in! I have the full version and would love to play with some fellow duders!

Now I will read your post :p

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!?

#10 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

The schedule you linked seems to be for the Battlefield 3 group.

#11 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

The schedule you linked seems to be for the Battlefield 3 group.

You are correct, fixed now. Thanks for the heads up.

#12 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Do you guys ever play later in the day? I'd like to participate but I have class until 4 on Fridays.

#13 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

How am I only just hearing about this?!?!?! I can't play tommorow night (I'm in a bet athat I can't name :p) but I'll sure as hell jump in from next week onwards. I'll hit you guys up and have a chat. Can't wait.

#14 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

How am I only just hearing about this?!?!?! I can't play tommorow night (I'm in a bet athat I can't name :p) but I'll sure as hell jump in from next week onwards. I'll hit you guys up and have a chat. Can't wait.

It's only every other Friday so nothing tomorrow, the 30th though!

@ShadowConqueror said:

Do you guys ever play later in the day? I'd like to participate but I have class until 4 on Fridays.

It's hard to find a time that fits everyone given time zones (fuck em right?) We usually go for 2 hours at least though so just jump on when you get home!

#15 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Swoxx: Even better. Hella looking forwrd to play with some duders, the people I usually play Arma 2 with take it WAAAAY too seriously. I assume you guys have a bit more of a laugh.

#16 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

@Swoxx: Even better. Hella looking forwrd to play with some duders, the people I usually play Arma 2 with take it WAAAAY too seriously. I assume you guys have a bit more of a laugh.

Yes, yes we do.

#17 Posted by Dezztroy (776 posts) -

How many do you usually get together for this? Sounds like something I'd love to get in on.

#18 Posted by Draugen (630 posts) -

Do you use any mods or is it plain vanilla?

#19 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -

I've actually been thinking of buying this recently, can free users still play with people who own the full game?

#20 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

@Dezztroy: Between 8 and 15 I'd say.

@Draugen: Vanilla Arma 2. A lot of us use Arma Free, and that doesn't allow mods.

#21 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

I have Arma II paid from GreenManGaming (although I got it for free). Maybe I can join you guys? Do you have a voice chat room on the Mumble server for Arma II?

#22 Posted by Dezztroy (776 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

@Dezztroy: Between 8 and 15 I'd say.

@Draugen: Vanilla Arma 2. A lot of us use Arma Free, and that doesn't allow mods.

That sounds great, will definitely try and set some time aside for the next time.
#23 Posted by CrazyBagMan (836 posts) -

I'm going to have to get in on this. I'm extremely new to Arma so bear with me once I do.

#24 Posted by eccentrix (1517 posts) -

That looks like the most fun.

#25 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Watched that video in the op. I'm sold. If you're wondering what it was that got me interested: Fucking Doppler effect on the helicopter.

#26 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1403 posts) -

I've actually been having a lot of fun with this game after I took the time to learn the basic controls. I've been spending a lot of time doing a mission called, "One Shot One Kill" where I play as a sniper at night =D

#27 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Did the event today happen? The only people I on the Mumble server were playing DayZ, and I couldn't get the mirc working to check there.

#28 Posted by Kri0s (83 posts) -

People still playing this/dayZ ? Just got a group of friends interested, would be nice to get a large squad up and running.

#29 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Someone should set up a Day Z game night.

#30 Posted by xombi242 (187 posts) -

Why isn't this happening?!

#31 Posted by Bollard (5307 posts) -

@Swoxx: When will the next one of these be? I have both 2 and OA now, and I saw the last one of these was on a Sunday. Does that mean the every other Friday schedule bit the dust? Anyway, I'mma go back to the tutorials so I at least have some semblance of an idea of what to do when I play haha.

#32 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Swoxx: When will the next one of these be? I have both 2 and OA now, and I saw the last one of these was on a Sunday. Does that mean the every other Friday schedule bit the dust? Anyway, I'mma go back to the tutorials so I at least have some semblance of an idea of what to do when I play haha.

Yeah schedule has been changed, just check the gaming hubs schedule to see when there's arma nights, I'll update the OP when I get home from work!

#33 Posted by Bollard (5307 posts) -

@Swoxx: Awesome stuff thanks!

#34 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

1st rule of Arma 2 nights: Don't ever let me in an aircraft.

#35 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@SamStrife: I was watching Alex's stream, and from a non player's perspective, that was pretty hilarious.

#36 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@mandude: Well then I'm glad it counted for something :)

I really do blame Arma 2's terrible Flight Physics & Flight Stick support... but I'll be damned if I go back to keyboard and mouse now.

#37 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@SamStrife: Hmm, I noticed it was pretty bad. I almost picked up a flight stick today for it and all. Guess I'll hold off on that now then.

#38 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@mandude: Yeah I wouldn't get a flight stick specifically for Arma. The biggest problem is the throttle on a HOTAS stick like mine. Basically Arma treats the throttle down as full on braking, so if I go anywhere under half of the lever my chopper goes plummeting to the ground. Then there's the issue that the game refuses to recognise the first 25% of the input (for reasons I can't even fathom) which essentially makes 75% of my throttle lever redundant, giving me only the top quarter to work with :/

Apparently there are work arounds but they seem like an awful lot of effort for not the greatest results.

#39 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

I've somewhat updated the OP. We're gonna work on getting a short tutorial on what you need in terms of mods and how to get it running properly (It's really quite easy)

It'll get added to the OP when it's up.

#40 Posted by M_Shini (550 posts) -

Gotten back into Arma 2 so id love to play with you guys or any peeps that wanna do some co op stuffs, and be nice to know about which of those mods people actually use for stuff since other than dayz mine is vanila.

#41 Posted by tariqari (430 posts) -

anyone still playing this? i know arma 3 is out but I cant afford it. let me know if anyone's interested, steam id: tariqari

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.