DayZ going standalone - developed by Arma guys

#1 Posted by nyv (60 posts) -

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

That's pretty impressive and quite fast. I just wonder how many players will buy the new game, after playing the MOD for the next several months.

#2 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1664 posts) -

didn't we hear about that like.... 2 weeks ago? maybe a week and a half? But, thanks for the blog link! Checking that thang out

#3 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

I really hope they release it soon and take all the DayZ trash off my Arma2 OA server list.

#4 Edited by Xymox (2107 posts) -

This is way more exciting than the glitchfest DayZ is in its current alpha state. There is some genuinely interesting stuff in DayZ so I'm glad to hear it.

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

So will people who have bought DayZ have access to the game?

#6 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

So I assume it's running on the Arma 2 or 3 engine? They really need to develop an engine from scratch. Something that can handle this kind of game. I'll keep an eye out on the game, but I'm also keeping an eye out on War Z because they also seem like they're going in the right direction with the game and their engine is built around the concept.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I believe they've said that you'll have to buy it again.

#8 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Do you mean Arma II, or does the actual mod DayZ cost money as well?

#9 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I can't wait until my PC is finished. I was excited before, but now it's just unbearable.

#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

You didn't buy DayZ. You bought ArmA II Combined Ops.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Cincaid: I meant if you paid 20-25 for the Arma set to be able to play DayZ, will you have to rebuy DayZ? Because that will scare off a lot of players.

@Cloudenvy: Count me out then, that feels like paying twice.
#12 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: I can see your point! But I doubt the ArmA II developers will see it that way, hehe.

#13 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Cincaid: Its logical, you bought the game and made use of a mod...but lets be honest, who didn't buy it for the mod? xD

@SeriouslyNow:  See above, it feels like paying double.
#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6317 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Quite a lot of people play actual ArmA. It's got a really steady and dedicated fanbase. Unlike DayZ which is just the new fad, like Minecraft was.

Also @nyv: The game was always developed by a Bohemia employee.

#15 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: Quite a lot of people play actual ArmA. It's got a really steady and dedicated fanbase. Unlike DayZ which is just the new fad, like Minecraft was.

I thought they hired him on after the fact?

#16 Edited by stryker1121 (1532 posts) -

Cool...I never play online games but DayZ sounds like something i need to try.

#17 Posted by AssInAss (2678 posts) -

#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6317 posts) -

@Jams said:

@AlexW00d said:

I thought they hired him on after the fact?

Nope. He has always worked for them. He used to (until Bohemia realised how big it was) be a multiplayer designer or something.

#19 Posted by Loafsmooch (351 posts) -

FUCK YES! Glad to see he's getting help from the rest of Bohemia, should make development a lot faster and simply better. This is the most exciting game for me this whole generation, closely followed by Dark Souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.