Getting High CPU Temperature Playing DayZ. Anyone else?

#1 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I'm not good with the technical aspects of computers and their systems, so this is where a friendly Giant Bomber would be helpful. I got a notification saying that my CPU was running around ~75 degrees Celsius. I've never had this notification pop up before, playing any other game. Is this just something on my end, or has anyone else experienced overheating while playing Arma2? 

#2 Posted by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

Not really. Some games just tax systems differently, take Diablo 3 as a great example. My overclocked 2500k runs at about 35c when I run Day Z, but I have a nice case and CPU fan.

If these temperatures are not normal it makes me want to ask how old your CPU is? I say that because every couple of years you should take the CPU fan/ heatsink off the mainboard, clean it off, then reapply thermal paste. You should also check your PC to see if there is any dust lurking about. From my experience, dust clogs up heatsinks and prevents proper thermal dispersion. Nothing kills a PC quicker than a dusty interior.

If those two plans don't change anything, then maybe you should look into an aftermarket cooler.

#3 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@MonetaryDread: I got this PC about this time last year. I'll check the inside and see what the dust situation is.
#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

When I play DayZ it seems to make my pc spit out a low memory error. Only time I have seen that happen.

#5 Edited by Jrinswand (1703 posts) -

I was having those problems with my old video card because the fans were worn out. I had never cleaned the thing, so it couldn't exhaust properly. Unfortunately, it ended up being so far gone that cleaning didn't even help it. I just had to get an entirely new card.

#6 Posted by MB (12257 posts) -

I'm not sure which CPU you're running but it probably shouldn't even hit 75C during a 24 hour stress test under full load. You may have a bad fan or your fan may need to be reseated onto the CPU.

#7 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

wow that's hot.

Mine has peaked at 34 celcius, that was after about 3hrs of DayZ with all settings max.

Do you have a temperature display on the case?

#8 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@RandomHero666: No, but I have a temperature program. I jacked up the fan speed and I haven't gotten anything above 50 degree Celsius. 
#9 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

When I built my current build, I decided to strap on not one but two fans to pump air into that 2500k. If your CPU cooler supports this, I recommend it highly. My 6870, on the other hand, gets pretty toasty in the summer time, so i've been forced to crank up the fan speed to the 60-65% range when playing depending games such as ARMA.

Strap it on.

#10 Posted by gnrsu (2 posts) -

You can use coretemp to monitoring your cpu temp:

appnee.com/core-temp/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.