Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ArmA II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 26, 2009

ArmA II: Ultimate Military Simulator is, as the title would suggest, a Military Simulation game developed by Bohemia Interactive. Experience the intensity of lifelike combat situations in one of the most realistic soldier sims available.

So Day Z really sucks

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I have tried playing this game for hours. Spawn with no weapon, try and creep around to find a weapon alert a zombie ages away that chases me forever and I disconnect and try again. The only people I have ever encountered are people running away from zombies with no means of getting away. Can we please just start with a axe or something? Any tips would be appreciated like where are the weapons?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Not trying to sound condescending but this really isnt designed to be 'that type of game'

Anywhere that has a few buildings around (towns, cities, airfields) usually hold decent supplies - even if it's just something you can pick off the corpse of a player. Though be wary that those places are also kinda the spawn points for the zombies - so it may be worth trying to find somebody else with a bit better gear to hang with until you sort yourself out.

Recently they patched the game to remove starting weapons, the game is changing pretty frequently so there may still be a chance that a new patch introducing better starting supplies will be introduced - not really guaranteed though!

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Liber

Why not just play Arma2 CO ?

Dayz is such a piece of crap mod for a great game.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By droop

You're saying a 'hardcore' zombie survival game shouldn't be about survival and scavenging? Believe me, starting without a weapon is the best thing that happend to that mod. It 'sucks' because there is a severe lack of content once you've gotten in to the survival systems.

I would suggest watching some starter videos on YouTube to get a better idea of how the game functions.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By patrick

Spoilers: Real life wouldn't make for a fun game either.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

OK i take everything back just started another game and someone picked me up in their car, he gave me weapons and took me to his helicopter. We flew round for awhile trying to find survivors they told the pilot they needed blood so he got out and shot them I scrambled to the cockpit getting shot and successfully took off and crashed into a tree 100 ft from where they were I ejected from helicopter and broke my legs they came over tea baged me and shot me in the head.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Sayishere

Some servers you do start with axes, you used to be able to start with a Makarov, but doesnt that defeat the purpose of the game?

it isnt a FPS, its a survival game, the fun is kitting your character out, then being sniped in the head and respawning.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Vodun said:

@Liber said:

Why not just play Arma2 CO ?

Dayz is such a piece of crap mod for a great game.

Trolololoflag!

I'd have to say your response is about a thousand times more trollish and flagworthy.

@Droop said:

You're saying a 'hardcore' zombie survival game shouldn't be about survival and scavenging? Believe me, starting without a weapon is the best thing that happend to that mod. It 'sucks' because there is a severe lack of content once you've gotten in to the survival systems.

The first part is a strawman, the second part is very subjective, and the third is absolutely true.
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Vodun: Trollception

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Fearbeard

You should probably have read up on the game before playing it. Doesn't sound like your type of game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

@Vodun said:

@MrKlorox: So pointing out someone's trolling now is trolling? Shit never seizes to amaze me!

You weren't pointing out trolling, you were being an arse.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

OK i take everything back just started another game and someone picked me up in their car, he gave me weapons and took me to his helicopter. We flew round for awhile trying to find survivors they told the pilot they needed blood so he got out and shot them I scrambled to the cockpit getting shot and successfully took off and crashed into a tree 100 ft from where they were I ejected from helicopter and broke my legs they came over tea baged me and shot me in the head.

Now -this- is Day Z.

Liked a real zombie apocalypse, without some guidance, it sucks and you die pretty quick. With some guidance and another person who semi knows what they're doing, it can actually be pretty awesome and crazy. Just try to either find a friend to play with, watch some videos to make things work yourself until you get your footing, or seek out other fans and see if they'll give you a friendly guide through. It definitely takes a lot of getting used to.

Glad you had some fun with it already. :)

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By krazy_kyle

Bloody kids these days...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TruthTellah

@Bourbon_Warrior: Oh, and you should probably edit your original post to mention that story on how you kind of get it now. That way, you won't just get a torrent of people saying that you just don't understand, as many people won't read through all the previous comments to see your later reply.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By doobie

@TruthTellah said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Oh, and you should probably edit your original post to mention that story on how you kind of get it now. That way, you won't just get a torrent of people saying that you just don't understand, as many people won't read through all the previous comments to see your later reply.

i think the OP should also try playing a game twice before he post a 'this game sucks' thread

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

@doobie said:

@TruthTellah said:

i think the OP should also try playing a game twice before he post a 'this game sucks' thread

heh. Perhaps. But I'm sure he has learned that lesson. :)

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@doobie said:

@TruthTellah said:

I played it about 30 times. And had 1 cool life.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jams

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@doobie said:

@TruthTellah said:

I played it about 30 times. And had 1 cool life.

I stopped playing a while ago because I wouldn't die. I guess I was too sneaky for my own good.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Spawn with no weapon, try and creep around to find a weapon alert a zombie ages away that chases me forever and I disconnect and try again. The only people I have ever encountered are people running away from zombies with no means of getting away.

Your doing something wrong if the Zombies spot you that fast even when creeping around.

In my experience, Zombies won't spot you if you crouch and walk slowly. If you stand up and just start running like a moron across the fields, you will have 10 zombies on you in no time. There is a reason why stealth matters in the mod. And if you have a few zombies on you, it is possible to loose them.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Loafsmooch

DayZ is about the adventure. There is no goal, there is no point, also it's in alpha.

Player interaction is what makes the game so fun for most players. How you can actually feel remorse/guilt for doing something selfish or "bad" against other players, knowing that they just "lost" several hours of gametime just because you wanted their rifle. Or by making friends, and fighting against other groups of players because you badly need their cans of beans.

Some starter tips:

Learn what types of buildings you can actually enter. Once you know the buildings and the bigger towns (elektro, cherno) it's actually easier to just run down the streets, not caring about zombies since you can easily lose them by running through a building.

90% of all players will shoot on sight once you have a gun in your hands. It's so easy to kill in this game and nobody wants to die just because they were foolish enough to trust some anonymous douche on the internet. If you have a mic, use it, you'll have a much bigger chance of making friends if you try to talk to them.

Use comma and period to switch chat channel to "direct communication". Typing in that channel will make everyone within 40 meters see it, and speaking in mic in that channel has a range of 80 meters.

You can find pistols and lee enfield rifles in just about any building. I recommend you always check supermarkets, churches, firehouses, basically any building with several "loot spawns". Also barns have a fairly high chance of spawning shotguns and basic rifles.

When you have to shoot zombies try using your sidearm. Rifles make a lot more noise and will attract more zombies, but more importantly players who'll want your loot.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

Isn't Day Z becoming a stand alone thing?

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Loafsmooch

@Demoskinos said:

Isn't Day Z becoming a stand alone thing?

It is, but not any time soon.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi

@Loafsmooch: I can wait!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Azteck

I have a very hard time believing anyone in this game would pick you up in his car, then drive to his helicopter and ask you to bring blood. That simply doesn't happen in DayZ, especially since 95% of the servers have choppers disabled.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Phatmac

I love Day Z experts they sound as if they're actually in the zombie apocalypse or something. It's actually kind of cute. Too bad I'll probably never play the Day Z mod since it looks terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I actually don't mind not starting with a weapon personally. There are two things that break the game for me right now. 1. It takes WAY too long to respawn into the server. It wouldn't be so bad if it only took 1-3 minutes instead of 10-15 min. 2. It's almost impossible to find your friends even when you're talking to them and describing your surroundings.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Death_Burnout

The only problem with Day Z...is that it's an ArmA II mod...ARMA II! a game that is basically Operation Flashpoint...Which is 11 years old! AAAAAGH.

It makes me so sad that such a good idea is wasted on that engine because damn, it feels so oooold to me.

johnrogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By johnrogan

Gotta agree with OP. I had heard so many fun anecdotes about Day Z and grabbed ARMA II: CO during the sale. So far even getting into a game has been frustrating. Load times are inexcusably long. If a zombie spots you and you have no weapon, game over. You can't get away from them. At the time I wasn't aware that the mod was alpha. If I'd know that I wouldn't have bothered.

While the real time day and night cycle is an interesting idea, it makes the game unplayable.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Jackel2072

I think the big problem right now (for new players) is zombies agro a lot easier then they did before. Its a topic of debate on the Dayz forums, but knowing rocket that's just going to be the way it is from now on. However i myself am loosing interest in the game now. No starting weapon was fine the lack of any direction was fine hell the fact that zombies could clip through walls was even fine. But the super line of sight the zombies have is just no fun anymore ( to some extent the games was never about fun and was designed to be an "anti-game") This is first big departure from the me the player and designer where i really hate what he's done to it. But that is the problem with letting people play your Alpha build. The game is always changing and at least until it reaches Beta things are going to continue to change. Personally (and i have always felt this way) at some point DayZ will stop being popular, and some other Dev is going to take the main of idea of this game and run with it.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TruthTellah said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Now -this- is Day Z.

Liked a real zombie apocalypse, without some guidance, it sucks and you die pretty quick. With some guidance and another person who semi knows what they're doing, it can actually be pretty awesome and crazy. Just try to either find a friend to play with, watch some videos to make things work yourself until you get your footing, or seek out other fans and see if they'll give you a friendly guide through. It definitely takes a lot of getting used to.

Glad you had some fun with it already. :)

Yeah but found out the guy that picked me up was a hacker. So he just hacked all the guns and helicopter in.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By clstirens

@Jackel2072 said:

I think the big problem right now (for new players) is zombies agro a lot easier then they did before. Its a topic of debate on the Dayz forums, but knowing rocket that's just going to be the way it is from now on. However i myself am loosing interest in the game now. No starting weapon was fine the lack of any direction was fine hell the fact that zombies could clip through walls was even fine. But the super line of sight the zombies have is just no fun anymore ( to some extent the games was never about fun and was designed to be an "anti-game") This is first big departure from the me the player and designer where i really hate what he's done to it. But that is the problem with letting people play your Alpha build. The game is always changing and at least until it reaches Beta things are going to continue to change. Personally (and i have always felt this way) at some point DayZ will stop being popular, and some other Dev is going to take the main of idea of this game and run with it.

I actually think that's the beauty of this. Whether Rocket figures out how to evolve the game or not, he's blown open an "opportunity" for investors to fund a bigger studio with a similar project.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devildoll

yeah it takes some time getting into the game.

you got to figure out where to find weapons/equipment, how the game works, get familiarized with the map. then it becomes fun.

@Death_Burnout said:

The only problem with Day Z...is that it's an ArmA II mod...ARMA II! a game that is basically Operation Flashpoint...Which is 11 years old! AAAAAGH.

It makes me so sad that such a good idea is wasted on that engine because damn, it feels so oooold to me.

even if Day Z becomes stand alone, its still going to run on the same engine, possibly its successor.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so now you don't spawn with a gun? What do you spawn with? Do you still start with food and water or are you just naked as far as equipment goes? I can see how not starting with a gun can be a good thing. In my experience with the game, when you spawn on the beach, the first thing you have to do is run the hell away from the beach since bandit players hang out near the beach; especially at night.

I remember one time, when it was dark, I spawned at a beach and saw a flare in the distance (well, 35 feet away) and moved towards it. As soon as I stepped into the light I was gunned down by 2 players. Turned out they used flares like a bug zapper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.