Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Army of Two: The 40th Day

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 12, 2010

For Tyson Rios and Elliot Salem, war is strictly business. After their arrangement with former P.M.C. SCC came to a sudden and bloody end, Rios and Salem work for the only people they still trust - each other. However neither their experience as Army Rangers serving in Mogadishu nor their work with SCC has prepared them for the kind of war they'll face in Shanghai.

Turn Up The Angst-O-Meter Bro!

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By dj

Grr! This is my bad ass face!
    I had fond memories of Army of Two. While the writing and voice acting was completely atrocious it was also hilarious. The mindless murdering juxtaposed with the bromatic shenanigans made any attempt at a legitimate story completely impossible. Rios and Salem were a perfect parody of every single action hero ever made. The brodomoy between the two characters had me waiting for possible comedic gold with every word. In a genre where every shooter protagonist is the faceless puppet or war grizzled veteran, Rios and Salem were a breath of fresh air.

That’s why I’m no longer psyched about Army of Two: The 40 Day. In a similar move to the Prince of Persia series it looks like the sequel will take the dirtier, grittier approach to the story.  The one thing that Army of Two had going for it was the complete over the top insanity. Without it, Army of Two becomes yet another generic third person shooter with mercenary dudes.

I’m sick of this realism movement in shooters. Why can’t shooters be fun? The action movie motif has been done to death and it’s time for something new. I think the complete insanity of the two heroes made them more endearing then space Spartan 10432. Army of Two walked the fine line between stupid and funny like a professional trapeze artist. Now it’s yet another shooter, which are a dime a dozen nowadays.

How do you feel about realism in games?

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1  Edited By dj

I had fond memories of Army of Two. While the writing and voice acting was completely atrocious it was also hilarious. The mindless murdering juxtaposed with the bromatic shenanigans made any attempt at a legitimate story completely impossible. Rios and Salem were a perfect parody of every single action hero ever made. The brodomoy between the two characters had me waiting for possible comedic gold with every word. In a genre where every shooter protagonist is the faceless puppet or war grizzled veteran, Rios and Salem were a breath of fresh air.

That’s why I’m no longer psyched about Army of Two: The 40 Day. In a similar move to the Prince of Persia series it looks like the sequel will take the dirtier, grittier approach to the story.  The one thing that Army of Two had going for it was the complete over the top insanity. Without it, Army of Two becomes yet another generic third person shooter with mercenary dudes.

I’m sick of this realism movement in shooters. Why can’t shooters be fun? The action movie motif has been done to death and it’s time for something new. I think the complete insanity of the two heroes made them more endearing then space Spartan 10432. Army of Two walked the fine line between stupid and funny like a professional trapeze artist. Now it’s yet another shooter, which are a dime a dozen nowadays.

How do you feel about realism in games?

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By DBoy

Army of Two was an OK game.  As you mentioned, the characters and dialog was laughable at best, but the gameplay was alright, aside from the idiotic stuff you needed to be 2 to do (open a door, climb a wall, etc)  We'll see how this one turns out.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By KnightsofRound

I never played Army of Two, but the concept of the game appeals to me (that being the team mechanics and the ridiculousness of the characters/story).  I'll probably get around to it eventually but the lukewarm reception kind of turned me off a little.

Hopefully the sequel can still keep some of it's original charm, while possibly improving the story and whatnot.  I think realism is a good thing, but when every game tries to be a copy of each other it just gets tired and people need something new.  Apparently the whole realism movement is working though... for now anyway.

snake6phw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By snake6phw

Well I loved the first, it's one of my guilty pleasures. I don't care what they do to the second, as long as it had badass dudes with masks on and upgradeable weapons, I'm down.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xandurson

I never played the first one after hearing mixed reviews on it.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dimsey

Lack of fist bumps and air guitar whilst blowing the shit out of everything and everyone that stands in my way has me less enthused for the sequel, but I'll likely still play it if only because I love me some co-op.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Captain_Fookup

EA always ruins shit, the bromance made Army of Two.

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By RisingRaiden
    @snake6phw said:
    " Well I loved the first, it's one of my guilty pleasures. I don't care what they do to the second, as long as it had badass dudes with masks on and upgradeable weapons, I'm down. "
    That's exactly how I feel about the first one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.